Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Nico73
My Device: 9790

Re: COMPLAINT about BOLD 9790 BATTERY LIFE

araucken, I hear you.  It is rather annoying to carry a car charger, travel charger and and USB cable where ever you go.  take the "portable" out of it. So far since 11:20 this morning up to now, 14:00 my battery has drop from 70% to 55%, and I am not using the Blackberry pouch for today, just to see if that will not make a difference.  FYI, my trusty old 9700 is lying at home, without a sim card or memory card, its just on doing nothing, and then it last for about 17 days. Don't know how RIM gets theirs specs.  Any way, that it just my 2c worth of complaining.

BB 9790, OS 7.1 bundle 2039 (v7.1.0.714, platform 9.16.0.158)
New Contributor
thanywil
My Device: Not Specified

Upgraded my 9790 software to 7.1, battery saving mode oh please, what a crock of bull, it doesn't save my battery life at all the battery life still sucks and its worst now have to charge my phone 3 times a day and once again I got the problem of my battery heating up. I'm so agro that I want to throw this phone in the rubbish where it belongs. Total rubbish product. Nokia I'm coming back to hell with blackberry.
Contributor
snow_cow

Just wait until it starts rebooting even while plugged in.

That's the best part.

New Contributor
Romana84
My Device: Bold 9790

Has blackberry ever acknowledged the fact that this is a major default in the model??? EVERY bold 9790 has the same problem which probably lies in the fact that they have the touch screen which is known to drain more battery power. However, even with the touchscreen the battery power of the 9790 is unacceptable. It won't make it through a 12 hour day after charging 12 hours.

Basically it makes the phone useless.... It's said that the blackberry is the phone of choice for doing business, how is that possible if by the end of a work day you can not be reached.

There is no battery saver to help this problem, no update, NOTHING so I think it's time blackberry acknowledges the defect in the model and makes a offer to update to a new model if they want to keep their customers.

Is it me or is it a HUGE failure when Iphone is ruling the market,making major improvements over the years  and blackberry fails with their latest model....

New Contributor
GekKey
My Device: Bold 9780/9790

Hello everyone,

I switched my Bold 9780 to the 9790 about 2 days ago. In the last 2 days, I was about to throw that phone as far as I could. The 1st day, the battery went from 100% to about 10% in like 2-3h, barely used. Yesturday, unplugged the phone from an overnight charge, and when I got home about 8h later, couldnt not even use radio. Checked FB about 10 times, and closed it after, no sms sent. I was fmad... So I found this topic, went over the post while I was updating my BB OS.

Once all that was done, I tweaked the phone, and started to test it. The battery life is now (sor far) very good and I am still monitoring it.

So, here are the changes I made.

Turned off the GPS Location.

Turned on the Battery saving mode, set it to "Always on"

Turned on the Application resource monitor, checked "Automaticly shut down background draining apps" and checked the TuneIn app (so it doesnt get monitored/shut down.)

Since I made those changes, I have been:

running TuneIn radio and streamed via wifi connection for 2h,

Facebook is running in background for over an hour, with chat on. (Auto refresh feeds set to 1h)

MSN messenger turned on for over 2h as well

browsed internet about 10 mins, left page open in background for 1.5h,

downloaded and installed 2 apps,

gave it about 10 vibes,

checked the battery about every 5-10 mins with the touch screen.

The battery is now at 65%

Contributor
araucken
My Device: Playbook 64GB

To GekKey, thanks for the tips !  Sounds like a real step forward.  Can you let the forum know where we can all find the settings you mention, so we can change them to match yours ?  Thanks.

New Contributor
GekKey

So, I manage to pull 5.5h of radio stream, +Facebook, MSN, 1 web page opened, arround 30 min of pure net browsing, 1h of checking fb pages. It was pretty much intensive use i guess

Contributor
snow_cow

I baked it in a toaster oven and it seems better

New Contributor
GekKey

So, to get it setup here is what you have to do:

1st go to Options > Device > Location settings

On the 2nd line (Location Services) take "Location Off"

2nd Still in Options > Device, scroll up to "Battery Saving Mode."

Check the 1st box (Turn on battery saving mode when battery power level is low"

In the drop down menu for "Start when battery power is at or drops below" put this to "always on"

3rd (I think this one is facultative, as long as you remember to close your apps)

Still in Options > Device, scroll down to "Application Resource Monitor"

Check the 1st box "Automatically shutdown background draining applications"

Now, lets say you use TuneIn just like I did(or any draining app), after a while, the app resource monitor will prompt you if you want to monitor the app therefor it will get closed anytime it feel its in background and draining the battery, BUT if you do not wish that the resource monitor close it, check the box.

Note that if you were prompted to not monitor an app and you wish to monitor it, go in the Application Resource Monitor, you will see at the bottom a list of app(s) that were not being monitor (they are checked!!) uncheck them to monitor them (get closed if run in background for a long period of time)

Hope this will help you, my battery is now reliable and seems like i will be able to do 2-3 days on a single charge.

Contributor
snow_cow

You shouldn't have to do any of that stuff it should work as is, that is not a solution