Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: COMPLAINT about BOLD 9790 BATTERY LIFE

viveksheel wrote:

I think After Sales Service of blackberry cannot be seperated from BlackBerry itself. Whatever is the policy in India is decided by BlackBerry themselves.

I think that you think incorrectly on that point. Each reseller is an independent company, operating under the rules they choose. If they are an authorized entity, they have a contract with RIM that they indeed must honor, but given the variability that we see in the world, it can be deduced that each entity has latitude in their actions. For instance, RIM provides a 1-year warranty...but we know from reports here that varies at some carriers. So, I do not agree with what you believe. Of course, all are free to believe as they desire.

That aside, the facts of what you have experienced are unfortunate. I wish you well.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
alaska_metals
My Carrier: Orange UK

It is funny how there is just silence from RIM on this. To have so many people complain about the same issue relating to one specific product would immediately ring alarm bells, especially if you want the product (and the company) to be a success. Come on RIM, do not give us the nonsense of closing apps and turning the phone off from time to time. Other smartphone manufacturers (e.g. Apple iPhone, which I also have) have significantly better battery perfomance without having to ensure that apps are closed or having to shutdown the handset "when you are not using it".

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nigelsan
My Carrier: Orange

Just want to add my disappointment with both the battery on the Bold 9790 and the rather limp response from the Support guys.  I have had my new Bold for two weeks and have decided to put the SIM card back into my old Curve.

As a business user, I expect a battery to last a day at least.  I don't use apps or the browser much, just emails and txts really.  I have followed all the suggestions for reducing battery use, but performance is FAR inferior to the Curve.

We shouldn't have to by 'Power Monkeys' or spare batterys to ensure reasonable battery life.  The claims for battery life made in the promotions for this phone are plain wrong.  As one of my fello-suffers says, it's almost like having a land line!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nigelsan

Not good enough Mr. Ferret. The battery just isn't fit for purpose. Period.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sadokbk
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Dear Rim,

I saw a commercial recently where the slogan was "we need tools, not toys." Well, I have a commercial for you to imagine:

A construction worker that depends on his cordless power drill to provide food and shelter for his family upgrades from his trusty, but old, power drill to the new PowerDrill Bold 9790. He is super excited and his family is around him while he unboxes the new drill. Pictures are taken with the new fantastically advertised drill. He starts to promise very aggressive deadlines to his clients and gets great paying contracts. After all, he has a "new tool, not a toy." A few months pass by and he can't meet his deadlines because his drill doesn't keep a charge long enough for him to work continously throughout the day and is forced to take too many breaks to charge it. He starts to lose his contracts, one by one. He sits at his kitchen table with a pile of bills he can't pay. He fights with his family over money. The last scene is between the contractor and a long time client/friend. His last client. The client suggests to change to another drill. The contractor answers: "But I spent over $400 on this new one/But I am locked into a 3 year contract with this new one...It works great when fully charged. Come on <Client's name>, give me one more shot." Client: "I'm sorry <Contractor's name>, but I have a business to run. I can't be delayed any longer, I'm losing business here. I need the work done immediately. I can't wait on you to always charge your drill. I need a contractor with tools, not toys." Fade away and fade back to the slogan: Be Smart, get a drill that holds a longer charge.

I will not beg you for an answer but I will offer some advice: All you need to do is inform us, your clients of whether something is in the works or not so that we can make an informed decision on whether to purchase the 9790 or go with another model that can actually meet our needs. I know there is an OS upgrade for the 9900 that addresses the battery drainage issues. Is there one for the 9790 that is in the works?

On a positive side, the phone is fantastic. The functions, the speed and the physical quality of the device are superior. Unfortunately, the battery life doesn't last long enough to be able to enjoy all of those great qualities.

Lastly, despite what you might think, your customers are not stupid and do not wish to be treated as such. The lack/quality of answers to this thread makes us believe that you really don't care. Either give us a proper answer or just close this ticket/thread.

Sincerly,

Happy to buy blackberry products, unhappy with the support and battery life of my 9790

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
thanywil

I was wondering when will os 7.1 be released in South Africa and why is it that my 9790 battery life is only 5 hours this is pathetic I have to charge my phone twice a day my service provider even issued me a new battery but its still the same thing and my old 3G curve lasted way longer than that I will admit I like my blackberry and can't live without it but please improve battery life on your latest products that will be made available in the future. Why is better features always reserved for the curve range like with the 9320 with built in radio, tv connectivity and gps shouldn't that be incorporated into the bold and torch ranges which is way more expensive but sadly that is not the case. I'm thinking to myself have I made the right choice by choosing the latest bold won't recommend any one to buy the 9790 because I'm really disappointed in this product.
A very unhappy blackberry user, hopefully the 7.1 os will sort out the battery life problem I hope.
Perhaps I should just go back 2 using a curve its way better than this 9790 Bold eva!!!!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

Hello to all...I fear some clarification is needed here, so as to properly set expectations:

sadokbk wrote:

The lack/quality of answers to this thread makes us believe that you really don't care. Either give us a proper answer or just close this ticket/thread.

This is, as you hinted, a "thread". It is NOT a ticket of any formal sort whatsoever. From the tone of the most recent set of responses, I fear that expectations are not properly set.

This site has nothing whatsoever to do with any formal support of RIM products, services, or anything else. Rather, this site is a user-to-user community where volunteers attempt to help out other kind souls to the best of their ability. RIM professes to try to read all posts here, and hopefully they are able to do so. But, they make no commitment to ever reply in this forum. None. Indeed, nothing in this forum is formal at all...all posts must be considered to be the opinion of the poster, with the reader deciding for themselves the believability of each post (yes, including this one by me!!). On very rare occasions, RIM does post in this site...but that is quite rare indeed (as was done in post 2 of this thread).

If anyone desires true formal attention to this matter, then (as per the contract each user is bound to) the formal escalation channels are the way to do that. Formal support is sought from the carriers and/or authorized resellers. They have the power to escalate cases into RIM that they cannot solve. End users have no such path (for free) for formal attention from RIM for anything...only via escalation. This is spelled out in all contracts between end users and their carriers, and between the carriers and RIM.

So, while posting a plea to RIM on this site are certainly a fine thing to do, there should be no expectation of any response from RIM whatsoever; such is simply not the charter of this forum.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bishopsfarewell
My Carrier: 3

My partner had the same problem. He went onto the location settings and switched off the location then saved the profile. He last charged his phone 20 hours ago and still has 80% charge left
Please use plain text.
Contributor
araucken
My Carrier: o2

Nice tip !    I'll try it.

(No good if you need to use the GPS software though.)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nigelsan

Thank you for taking the time to share this help

Please use plain text.