Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
calum_james
My Device: Bold 9700

Can't Uninstall BlackBerry Protect

BlackBerry protect won't start and gives me the message

'Error starting

net_rim_bb_dryad_gui:

symbol

'Internalservices.isDevice

Developmentbuild' not

found.

I'm not particularly bothered because it never worked anyway. I just need to uninstall it, which I can't do. There isn't an option to delete it within my Bold 9700 and on my desktop manager it says in the list of Apps that its 'required' (again no option to delete), which is odd because I got on fine before I installed it. Can anyone shed some light on this flakey App. I'm on Bold 9700 O/S 6  Thanks :Cowboy:

Retired
hmthepirate
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Can't Uninstall BlackBerry Protect

Hi calum_james,

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with deleting BlackBerry Protect from your device.

To clarify, when you go to Options>Advanced Options>Application Management, you do not have any option to delete Protect?

Have you ever used Protect? If so, do you remember if you checked of the option to prevent the app from being deleted? 

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
calum_james

Hi there. No there is no option to delete, as there is for the other Apps. 

I just get....

Switch App

View properties

Edit permissions

Modules Edit default Permissions

Help

close.

I had only set up Protect the evening before the problems started ad couldn't get it to connect to my online account. Sorry I can't remember for sure if I set up a no delete option. It is highly unlikely I would do though, but can't be 100% sure.  

Thanks for the help

Retired
hmthepirate

Enabling the option to prevent Protect from being deleted means if you lose your device or someone steals it, they can't delete Protect to prevent you from using it for remote location, locking, wiping etc.

I would suggest you do a security wipe. Use BlackBerry Desktop Software to back up your data (KB12487 How to back up the data on a BlackBerry smartphone) then follow the steps in KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option.

After the wipe, see if you can now delete Protect. If you cannot, see if you can launch it. If so, log in with your BlackBerry ID and see if the option to prevent deletion is enabled. If so, disable it then attempt the deletion.

Let me know the outcome.

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

New Contributor
calum_james

Hi there. You may have to bear with me a while. My Blackberry has gone into meltdown. It keeps locking up and I have to do a battery pull. After the re boot I get a message that reads something like  'uncaught lang' java error  or something like that. The phone will be ok for a while then lock back up again. 

I'm coming to the conclusion that this thing is beyond repair. Should never have upgraded to the O/S 6 bundle. :No:

Was advised on an earlier thread to revert to its originl O/s which I'm reluctant to do as I'm not particularly techy. What do you suggest- Throw it in the bin ?

Retired
hmthepirate

The error you are seeing indicates an issue with the software and it can be fixed - no need to bin it! 

If you want to downgrade to OS 5, you can do so. BlackBerry 6 requires more memory to run so you might find version 5 better. 

You can do this as shown in KB14249. You may need to download and install OS 5 from your carrier's download site (click here)

I'd recommend you backup your data before downgrading and do a clean downgrade. That means when you are doing the downgrade, click the boxes to delete all user data and applicatinos. This will start you over on a clean slate. After the load completes, you can restore your essential data.

Before you do restore your data, go to Protect and see if you can now delete it.

Let me know how it goes :smileyhappy: 

-HMthePirate