Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
mgm94
My Device: Bold 9700
Accepted Solution

Can't connect to ISP through wireless router.

I have my cell service through T-Mobile and recently upgraded to a Bold 9700 with internet service. I can browse the internet over the 3G network and at a Hot Spot location using the Wi-Fi. What I can't do is access the internet through my wireless router at home. The Netgear router (WPN824 v3) works fine through the cable modem for laptops and my daughter's Motorola Click smartphone. When I turn off the 3G network, I get a "can't find the server message". 

I've been through tech support at the cable company, Blackberry and Netgear without a solution. The problem seems to be with the router but I can't find a way to fix it. I am about ready to buy a different phone or router. If anyone has any ideas please help. Thanks

JSanders
Solutions: 5,983
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Can't connect to ISP through wireless router.

So, on your BlackBerry device at Manage Connections, next to the WiFi box, what do you have showing? The name of your router? A green check mark, or a white dash?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
mgm94

It has the name of my router with a white dash in the checkmark area

Contributor
skincareproff
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

[ Edited ]

Hi are you using the latest version of firmware ? if not i would try doing this :-

The latest uk firmware is

WPN824v3 Firmware Version 1.0.8_1.0.7

It downloads as an img file you shoulodnt need to fiddle trying to open it .

1. Log in the router at http://192.168.1.1.
  2. Click Maintenance > Router Upgrade.
  3. Click Browse and locate the firmware file.
  4. Click Upload. While the firmware is loading, do not interrupt the upgrade process.

this may resolve the problem

Also be aware that if it is a router issue buying a different phone will more than likely have the same issue, it may be worth seeing if you have a freind or family member that has a internet / wifi connection and check to see if your phone can connect to that, it may help to id where the problem lies ie phone or internet....

thanks

New Contributor
mgm94

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try it. I was able to log on to a hot spot at my car dealership

Contributor
skincareproff

Good luck let us no how you get on.....:smileyhappy:

New Contributor
mgm94

I wasn't able to get on the site (192.168.1.1.)  It asked for user name and password. I tried what I had written down inside the router box. It wasn't correct. I tried the admin and passord method, but evidently I changed it or it required the change When I set it up .I will have to figure another way to access the site.

New Contributor
mgm94

It's working!  I accessed the router settings. It would work with no security. It would not work with WPA-PSK [TPIK], I enabled both WPA2-PSK[AES] AND WPA-PSK[TPIK] AND IT IS CONNECTING. i DON'T KNOW WHY BUT I SURE AM HAPPY. I guess BB doesn't like TPIK

Contributor
skincareproff

well done enjoy didnt think it was a blackberry issue some how enjoy your blackberry.....:smileyhappy:

New Contributor
mgm94

Thanks for putting me on the right track. I had to reset the router to get in to the router site. There is a reset on the back through a little hole. I did download the firmware update but I didn't have the right program to open it. That is when I started changing the security settings to see what would happen. Thanks again for your help.