Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: 9700 Bold

Cannot use wi-fi only on my blackberry

Hi :smileyhappy:

I have a Blackberry 9700 Bold but i don't have a blackberry service plan and therefore no paid internet. So i wanted to use it only with wi fi and tried to do so at home. It connected to my home wifi but when i tried to open the browser it says "Unable to connect to internet .. blah, blah ... contact your service provider"

so i contacted the service provider and the guy had no idea what to do ... So can someone please explain how to fix this ... 

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Cannot use wi-fi only on my blackberry

[ Edited ]

Zdrasti Greta,

I will use now English, because this is official on this forum (if you want to speak Bulgarian, send me private message).

It's normal the Globul support had no idea, because in Bulgaria BlackBerry is sold, but it's not popular. Most people still like mostly Nokia and Sony.

So in theory, you should be fine to connect to your wifi network and use the browser for websites. Probably - I 've never tried.

However there is no point doing this - BlackBerry relies on the internet from your provider (for you Globul) and most important things will not work if you don't have internet from Globul.

For example you will not be able to use your mail, BlackBerry protect and other important applications, without which the phone is nearly useless because it will work like phone-only. You will also not be able to install any new application (as far as I know).

So I suggest you upgrade your plan to have internet in order to be able to unlock the full power of your phone.

Pozdrawi!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Sometimes the BlackBerry browser can be picky.  If you're able to install the Opera mini browser via your PC and a USB cable, you might have more success.

Despite not having BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS), you should still be able to browse the internet on Wi-Fi only.  As RaverWild mentioned, several of RIM's push features (such as facebook updates, twitter updates, new emails, etc.) will not work without BIS.

I suggest before you try anything else, power down your Wi-Fi router then turn it on again and try once again.  You might also try removing your phone's battery while your phone is turned on then replacing it.

Keep us up to date on your progress.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Yes, follow the Bill advice.

But Bill, you forgot that this could be a wifi router issue! We have no idea how the router is configured, because for example it could be configured to allow connections only from known devices and the phone to be missing from that list (because Greta mentioned it's a new phone).

So Greta, you may also try checking the router settings. If nobody ever logged to configure the router you should be fine, the factory setting on all new routers is to allow all devices. However I would suggest you check this too.