Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: att

Changing imap, smtp and port options for email setup

Anyone have any idea how to change the imap, smtp on the email setup?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Changing imap, smtp and port options for email setup

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

There is no user-accessible setting to control this. If the mailserver is a single address and running both protocols, BIS will default to the "best" (typically IMAP). If the email provider has separate servers for IMAP versus POP/SMTP, then it's a matter of pointing BIS to the proper mail server address to have it then be able to pick the proper protocol. Services like Google allow you, within your account settings, to control whether it serves IMAP or POP for your specific account.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: att

Thanks for the help, but ill tell you the specifics of my issue. my college email has just switched over to using google instead of the schools own platform. The problem is i still sign into google using a .edu address, but it through google mail so the imap, smtp have to be sent through google. any ideas?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

I've never used a non-@Gmail address, so I don't know if it differs. But, with true @Gmail addresses, you have the ability, inside of GMail, to instruct it to serve out IMAP or POP. To make it effective, I'd recommend removing the integration to BIS. Waiting some time (perhaps an hour?). Then logging into Gmail and changing the configuration to whichever you desire (IMAP or POP...but not both!). Then waiting another hour perhaps. Then integrating the account into BIS fresh. Perhaps that will result in what you desire.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 - OS v5.0.0.442 (Platform 5.1.0.121)
My Carrier: Pelephone - Israel

I have two gmail accounts - one @gmail.com and one at a company domain hosted by google apps (which is what your school is apparently doing)..

I setup both of them on my BB using the wizard - I just entered the appropriate email address for each & it worked fine.

Try following the wizard for setting up a gmail account, but change the domain name on the address from gmail.com to <college>.edu

HTH,

Yosh