Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
6ixtynine
My Device: Bold 9900 OS 7.1 bundle 921

Chinese input on BB 9900 OS 7.1

Hi

I just upgraded my BB 9900 from OS 7.0 to 7.1

on the OS 7.0 there was Chinese input but now...=[

I've looked up the forums and support but couldn't find any help for my issue

I want Chinese input method on my BB 9900 OS 7.1.0.267 platform 5.1.0.230

can anybody help me?

I really need the Chinese input

PS: I'm from Hong Kong and my carrier website doesn't have the support

Retired
FozzieBear
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Chinese input on BB 9900 OS 7.1

Hello 6ixtynine,

Language package availability for your BlackBerry® Bold™ 9900 smartphone is determined by your wireless service provider.

For more information regarding this, see the following article:

How to obtain language packs for BlackBerry smartphones - http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB13067

Thank you.

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
gilbertgoh
My Device: Bold 9900

FB,

I clicked on the link you have provided and tried to follow the steps, but the problem is I have already upgraded to OS 7.1 and there is no Chinese input under the 'Applications' tab when I access Desktop Software.  So what do I do now to install Chinese input.  Please advise ASAP.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Gilbert Goh (Mr)

New Contributor
gilbertgoh

This post has been up for days and no one has a solution to this problem???  Seriously???...

Cheers,
Gilbert Goh (Mr)

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello,

While this thread had the rare benefit (way back in May) of input from a RIM representative, such should never be expected. This site is a user-to-user community of volunteers trying to help each other out. Further, your first post above was on Friday -- many of the volunteers here live in the USA and this past weekend was a long holiday one, with the volunteers also living their lives. There is no service level agreement for replies on this site...after all, it's volunteers who contribute, not paid associates.

That said, please also review this:

• KB05305Localization support for BlackBerry smartphones

Merely having OS 7.1 already on your BB is not relevant. The exact package (e.g., English Language vs Multi Languate etc.) is what controls the available languages to you. So, you must use the proper package as well as, via the Desktop Software, install the languages you desire onto your BB.

Just in case, here's a process:

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

Don't forget to backup.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
gilbertgoh

Thanks. I do know of this procedure but its done on a PC and not a MAC and I have 2 MACs at home but no windows-powered PC. Looks like i have to get hold of one and do this afterall. Thanks again.

Meanwhile, if anyone knows of a workaround for this exact same procedure, but on a MAC, please input too. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Gilbert Goh (Mr)

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

On MAC, you should be offered all OS packages that your carrier supports (and, by looking at the download portal, you should be able to validate what you should be offered via the MAC desktop software). If one of those is the proper language version, then you can install that from your MAC. If your carrier does not offer an applicable language-containing OS package, then indeed you will need to gain access to a PC in order to conduct these activities. From all I understand, there is no method on MAC to bypass these constraints (though you might find more information in our Desktop Software for MAC forum on this site).

Good luck!

Edit -- I have heard, however, of using a PC emulation app on the MAC to try these tricks...though I've no idea of the effectiveness of that...again, the MAC-specific section of this site would be a better resource for you now.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code