Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
ichabod
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Conserving power used by network polling?

Does anyone know if there is a way to reduce network polling or disable data service while keeping voice service available? I've had this question for a while because my battery runs down very quickly when I am bicycling in fringe service areas, but the recent blackout was even worse.

One or two other phones I have owned had a setting that reduced the frequency with which they would attempt to connect to the carrier's network.  And it would be nice to disable attempts to send or receive data when I know that there won't be a usable tower within range for a while. The only option I can find on my BB, however, is to turn the radio on or off. If the radio is off, then I have to manually search for the network.

My Blackberry is a Bold 9650 served by Verizon. It runs some version of the 6.0 operating system.

Thanks for any information!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Conserving power used by network polling?

Hello,

BBs are designed as data-serving devices, so there are really no settings that allow control over "polling frequency". Rather, you must turn off all Data Services, which will leave Voice Services running. To do so, within Manage Connections should be a selection for "Mobile Network Options", on which there will be a "Data Services" selection...changing this to "Off" will indeed shut off all data services while leaving Voice active.

Note, however, that if by "polling frequency", you are thinking about this from an email service perspective, then BBs really don't work this way. BBs don't use a full "ActiveSync" on-device email client, which would indeed poll, from the device, to the email server based on configured frequencies. Rather, BBs use BIS, hosted at the carriers/RIM, which handles the polling...traffic to the BB is only generated when BIS actually finds something on the server that needs to be pushed to the BB. So, if that (email) was your thinking on this point, then it's likely something else that is draining your battery (unless, of course, you are receiving tons of emails during this period).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,925
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

ichabod wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a way to reduce network polling or disable data service while keeping voice service available? I've had this question for a while because my battery runs down very quickly when I am bicycling in fringe service areas, but the recent blackout was even worse.

• Yes, go to your Manage Connections screen
  • Scroll down to and click on the Networks and Connections.
  • Choose Mobile Network.
  • Set the Data Services to OFF.

Now while you're in fringe areas you 'should' notice less handover 1XEV to 1X, etc., and thus conserve some battery usage. Also, make sure your WiFi is OFF, Bluetooth is OFF (if you aren't using it) and no additional applications are running in the background.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ichabod
My Device: Bold 9650

Thank you both!
Please use plain text.