Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

suzanneisabella
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Contacts lost after installing OS 7.1.0.991 Bundle 2705 to my Blackberry Bold 9930

Hey there,

I am hoping that you might be able to help me. I updated my Blackberry Bold 9930 to the OS 7.1.0.991 Bundle 2705, earlier this week (on my desktop, using Blackberry Desktop software). I thought that everything was going well; but at the end of the install/upgrade, this message appeared:

Your BlackBerry! Device Software is updated and you can safely disconnect your device.

Warmings were encountered during the loading process:

Application data could not be restored to the device. The backup data file has been 
saved to (file name/location within my computer) You can use the Desktop Software Backup/Restore tool to restore this information.

I looked at the screen of my phone and could see that the background on my screen had not been restored, for example, and so I went ahead and used the backup/restore tool (along with the file mentioned) to restore that info. Upon completion, my screen looked the way that it had before and so I assumed it to be a good indication that the upgrade/installation had gone fairly smoothly. The problem that I ran across, however, once I exited the desktop software and disconnected my phone from my computer, is that only a fraction of the contacts on my phone are still in place. (I had approx 3,000 - I now have 600? Looks to me like maybe only the recent contacts were restored?)

Getting all of my contacts back/restored is more important to me than having the OS 7.1.0.991 Bundle 2705 installed and so I went back to the most recent backup file that the Desktop Software had created from my phone and stored on my computer (an hour or so before having updated/installed the 7.1.0.991 Bundle 27050) - and I went ahead and restored my phone with that, hoping that my contacts would be restored. (I did not do a wipe of my phone or anything like that.) No such luck.

I am wondering if you have any suggestions of where I might be able to find/locate all of my contacts and/or how I might get them back? I never used Backup Assistant on my phone (as I had assumed that my contacts were part of what my Desktop Software was backing up, each time) - and I also do not use BBM and so I do not know whether that function of my phone could be helpful or not.

I am a bit at a loss. I've been using Blackberry devices (old-school pager-type, Pearl, Curve, Bold, etc) for 11 years now but am feeling frustrated and losing patience. I consider myself relatively tech-savvy but am losing patience with the brand.

Thanks,

suzanne
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Contacts lost after installing OS 7.1.0.991 Bundle 2705 to my Blackberry Bold 9930

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

From what you describe, it sounds like you were diligently doing backups (good!), but perhaps not validating the results ever (not good). The quick method is to check, during the restore process (but before you actually do the restore) the quantity of contacts in the backup file...compare that to what your device reports as to contacts, and you'll know if you have a match or not. If you do, you can move forward...but if you don't, then you need to investigate further.

Sadly, given what you describe, there is no way to now get that data back...for whatever reason, all of your contacts weren't backing up, and so are not available for restore now. And that seems to hold true for the backup file created as part of the update as well as a prior backup you have. If you have other prior backups, you could check them...again, not actually doing the restore, but checking the contents of that particular database. Maybe you will get lucky in that some prior backup was working correctly and was backing up all of your contacts.

FYI -- BBM would be useless...BB Protect maybe, but not BBM.

You can find lots of more details regarding backup/restore the link in my auto-sig on this post.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.