Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
dimitrous
My Device: Bold 9900

Contacts transfer issue

Hi,

Just switched from a 9700 to 9900. Used the phone switch option on the BlackBerry desktop software. 

Everything transferred fine, except SOME of the contacts. 

Some of contacts simply did not transfer over. The call history lists them as phone numbers, text messages from those contacts are still there, but only the phone number is shown, with no names. The contact book does not have those contacts either. 

This appears to only be the case for newer contacts - ones added in the last (roughly) 1-12 months. 

Two questions: 

1. Is it a matter of updating the old device? I don't think that came up when I connected it to the latest BB Desktop software, so not sure if that's an option. 

2. Now that I already transferred most of the other things, is there a way to transfer ONLY contacts from the old device to the new? The device switch function seems to delete all the new emails on the new devise in the prcess, and that's not ideal. 

Device info

Old: 9700 6.0 Bundle 2921 (V 6.0.0.666), Platform 6.6.0.241

New: 9900 7.1 Bundle 1310 (V. 7.1.0.391), platform 5.1.0.391

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Contacts transfer issue

[ Edited ]

How many contacts are we talking about here?

I also wonder if the contacts in question are sim contacts that didn't make it across.

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2010/10/how-to-transfer-contacts-from-your-sim-card/

I don't think updating the old device will make a difference.  I wonder if a selective restore would work here:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB10339&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...

I would do a full backup of the old device and new device before starting.

Something else to consider:  if possible, can you setup blackberry protect on the old device, let it backup and set up protect on the new device so it can copy the contacts down?  I'm thinking this will work because protect will overwrite what you've already setup on the new device.  The link for protect is in my signature.  Are the contacts linked / synced to an online email account?  I'm thinking about all possible options here.

My Device: Bold 9900

Thank you. 

I found another solution - snching contacts with my gmail account on the old phone, and then doing the same on the new phone. This required me to re-set up the gmail email account on each phone (for some reason the specific option to sync contacts was only available at the time of set-up). 

Thank you for your time. 

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

good deal, thats why I was asking about the online email service.  whew!