Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
PRLTD
My Device: Not Specified

Copy all phone contacts between Bold 9780 and Curve 9320

Hi, im not having much luck researching on the forum to what i would expect to be a relatively straight forward thing to do between my staff's company mobiles.

All the contacts and information within each contact on a Bold 9780 or orange need to be copied to a Curve 9320 on T mobile. I personally have 100% contacts on my own 9700 synched with my outlook pc, the 9780 has about 60% of these contacts and the Curve needs these as well. (we're talking about 800 contacts). Any help to advise how best and quickly to do this would be gratefully appreciated.

Perhaps i should create a new outlook contacts folder, delete the 40% contacts and synch the 60% to the curve using the desktop software but its important to only copy the 60% contacts, nothing else, and then go back to synching my own 9700 with everything on my outlook as before.  

I'm just concerned as i've had a few issues with using the default calendar and my multiple email addresses which synching in the past, duplicating entires and also not synching calendars correctly.  I'm just thnking it should be a stright forward "copy all to sim card" then move the sim card over to the curve, and "import contacts from sim card" but i'm guessing this isnt possible. I'm aware from the forum that the media card doesnt do this task, which would have been even simpler.

The other alternative is to use an old PC i have and update that outl;ook with the same outlook .pst file, delete the 40% and synch the curve through that.  Seems like a lot of work though taking a long time and a crazy thing to have to resort to do. 

eek! Help! :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Copy all phone contacts between Bold 9780 and Curve 9320

Hi PRLTD,

It sounds like you're trying to merge the contacts from one BlackBerry smartphone into another, is this correct? Otherwise, if you would like all of the contacts from one, to reflect directly on the other, you could backup the one device, then restore them to your other device.

Let me know what you're trying to do and I can assist you the best I can.

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PRLTD

Hi, yes, merge or copy or duplicate from one to the other. Both phones should be the same content, but not done through desktop software with Outloook.  I want to do it with the phones.  Sounds like you have the jist of what im wanting, a bit more advice on how to do this would be grealty appreciated.

Cheers for your time and thoughts

Mike

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PRLTD

Hi, is the information previousley given enough to try and help at all? I'd be most grateful for the help...

Please use plain text.
Cpt_Sweatpants

I would recommend doing a 1-way sync with Outlook from each of your BlackBerry smartphones. This will essentially merge all fo your contacts in Outlook. You can then do a 1-way sync from Outlook to the BlackBerry, selecting the option to replace all data in the target application.

I would highly recommend backing up your BlackBerry smartphones first.

Thanks.

-CptS

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PRLTD

Thanks, will that transfer all 100% of outlook contacts on my pc to each phone though? I need about 60% transferred. How would i do that?  It's all the contacts on one phone currently that i need on the other phone. One phone already has the 60% cut down contacts.

Can i only do this through Outlook and desktop software synch?

Please use plain text.
Cpt_Sweatpants

Sorry for the delay.

You will have to use the BlackBerry Desktop Software, however, you are not limited to using Microsoft Outlook.  You can also use

• IBM Lotus Notes 6.5, 7, 8 and 8.5
  • Microsoft Outlook Express
  • Windows Contacts (Windows Vista, Windows 7)

Thanks.

-CptS

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PRLTD

ok thanks. further compication though. this would transfer all 100% of contacts from my pc (synched on my personal phone) and this isnt what i want, just a selected bunch, about 60%. How would i synch the 60% from a 100% list from to a different phone on the same pc? Or are you suggesting to use a donar pc to keep it seperate?

Perhaps create a "new folder" in outlook and then copy and delete the unwanted 40%? Then in desktop software select the new folder rather than the usual? Connect the other two phones one adfter the other and synch just the contacts and not all the other items (calendar, media etc) Is there a risk to any data help in the main calendar for example?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PRLTD

So I've found out how to do it, so here goes:

1) select a new pc outlook category and attribute all contacts you wish to synch from the pc (the full contact list on the pc in outlook is also on phone A)

2) create a new outlook contacts group

3) connect phone B to the pc and access blackberry desktop manager 

4) organiser, contacts, configure, advanced settings, folders and select the newly created contacts group and "add", remove the previous default folder leaving just the new cut down contacts group as the only default

5) ensure the synch direction is one way only to your device and replaces all the data on the device, ensuring that the master data file on the pc is the only one that is current

6) the same can be replicated on many blackberry devices

Job done. :Clap:

To ensure future added contacts are correctly added to the new group contacts list, make sure the new category in outlook is selected at the data entry time and also copy this contact over into the new contact group. Ensure phones are regularily synched with the pc to ensure all is up to date.

Hope that helps other people.

Cheers prltd

Please use plain text.