Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
renzo
My Device: bold
My Carrier: sprint

Data Services and WiFi

I want to stop using data services from my cell phone provider and have data services available only when on a local WiFi network.  But I want to keep my phone and SMS.

So I go to the wrench, mobile network, and I turn off data services.  I can no longer do email, browser, etc, which is what I want.

Then I go to WiFI and associate with my home network.  But I still cannot use email, browser, etc.

Why is this?  Did someone at RIM forget that data services could be obtained from a local network for free even with the cell connection disabled?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Data Services and WiFi

[ Edited ]

Your phone should be able to use data over Wi-Fi as long as you have the proper service books in your phone, even with Mobile Network disabled.

How are you not able to use data, meaning what is happening (or not happening) when you try to access it over Wi-Fi?

If your phone is running OS 7+, you're going to get data pushed to your phone whether you have it disabled or not, so as long as you were able to access data with your Mobile Network on, you should also be able to access it with the network connection off.

Post back with clarification of what you're experiencing.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
renzo
My Device: bold
My Carrier: sprint

Re: Data Services and WiFi

Well, I thought that was pretty clear.

My BB is sittn here, and I have 3 email accounts tied - work, personal gmail, and a special gmail account.  I use AT&T.  If I turn off data services, even with the WiFi from my router showing on the screen, I cannot send or receive emails on either my work account or my gmail accounts.  Nothing works in the browser tab, either.

So I tried another experiment:  I pulled the SIM card.  Start up BB, see the "no sim card" message on screen, but I can see my SSID from my router.  But I cannot send or receive email, and the BB browser does not work.

There is a post on another famous BB help website from a moderator that says ATT BBs require a data plan even to work with WiFi. 

So the next question is what happens with an unlocked BB?  My work BB is tied to ATT via provisioning.

This whole thing is being driven by my need for a new phone (work BB is NOT my personal cell phone number), and I want a flip phone with QWERTY keyboard and Pearl 8820 seems perfect.   But I dont want to buy one and then get hammered with data charges. 

Please use plain text.