Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
JASharf
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Deciding on Purchasing my First Blackberry - BOLD

I have been using a Palm Treo for the last 10 years or so.  I am ready to take the next step and finally join the rest of the world and get a Blackberry.  I am debating whether to get a Curve 8330 or wait for a Bold.  I just have a few questions and I am hoping someone out there will be able to help me decide by answering these 4 questions:

1) Will the Bold be usable internationally like the World phone (8830)?  I have service from Verizon Wireless (USA).

2) Will the bold have a Camera and video recording capabilities, like the Curve?

3) One reason why I liked the Curve better than the World phone is bcz the Curve's buttons have space between them and that makes it easier to text and write emails.  I noticed, unlike the curve, the Bold's buttons are close together like the world phone, without any spacing.  Does anyone know if texting is difficult on the Bold, like it is on the World phone?

~Jason 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gatee
My Device: BB Bold 9000

Re: Deciding on Purchasing my First Blackberry - BOLD

Hi Jason,

I justed moved from a 8320 to a Bold and after the first week, I am not sure if it was a good decision. Compare to the Curve, the Bold seems to be heavy ... and it is bigger.

To answer you questions ...

1) Curve 8330 supports Dual-band 800/1900 Mhz CDMA2000 1X EvDO networks. It works in Europe and Japan (non GSM networks). Bold 9000 supports 2G networks (850/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS for North America, 900/1800 MHz GSM/GPRS for Europe and APAC) and 3G networks (850/1900/2100 MHz HSDPA). Japanese/Asian DCMA are not supported.

If you need to travel to Japan and China frequently, you need CDMA. I found a GSM network in Tokyo but coverage was very poor.

2) Yes. Camera is as bad as with the Curve but the flash is better.

3) Texting on the Bold is much easier than on the Curve. The buttons have a perfect pressure point and are not as waggle as in the Curves. Even if there is no space between the Bold buttons, they have raised area in the center which makes typing very easy, especially with big fingers.

Hope it helps to make the right decision ;-)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JASharf

Wow, thank you for your answers.  You helped me and confused me at the same time.

1) I am clueless when it comes to CDMA, GSM...and all that language.  The only places I would travel is the carribean, US, Canada and the Middle East (possibly Europe).  So the question is, which phone (if any) would work in more of those places, the Curve or the Bold.

2) So what you are saying is the Camera on both phones are the same, the only point is that although the curve has a flash (please confirm) it is not as good as the Bold's flash?

3) I am so nervous, as the Treo I have been using for years, always had space between the buttons and I still found it somewhat difficult at times texting.  Are you sure that although the Bold's button are connected, it is still easier to text than the Curve (which has the buttons spaced)?

4) Although the Bold you said is bigger and heavier, is it much?  Am I gaining ALOT by getting the Curve bcz it is lighter and smaller?

5) Any idea when the bold is expected to come out for Verizon USA customers?  I heard Sept 1, but I have a feeling its ganna be WAY later than that.

Thanks again,

~Jason

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gatee

Hi again,

1) Curve and Bold work in US, Canada, Middle East and Europe.

2) It seems that camera and flash are identical. My subjective impression is that the results with the Bold flash are better because there is a metal frame around the flash that reflects the the light.

3) The real touch point of the buttons is smaller than the button. There are spaces but the images on BB's homepage don't show the details very well.

4) The Curve is lighter and smaller but the Bold looks more exclusive. The Bold looks quite cool! 

5) Please check the following web page:

http://reviews.infosyncworld.com/cell-phones/compare/?name1=RIM+BlackBerry+Bold+9000+(AT%26T)&name2=...)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JASharf

Thanks again...it looks like I am going to get a Curve now, as the Bold does not seem to be coming out until Jan 09.

I just have one question, if both the bold and the Curve work in all those places (USa, Canda, Mid East and Europe), what advantages do you get by getting the 8830 (world phone)?  I thought the whole significance of the world phone is that you can use it any where in the world, but from what you say, it seems the Bold and Curve can also be used anywhere.  Please elaborate for the untechnically saavy.  :smileyhappy:

~Jason

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gatee

All Curves as well as the Bold are Dual/Tri Band phones. This means that they support two/three different digital mobile network technologies. Tri  Band mobiles could be used in the US, Canada, Europe, Africa and APAC.

Regarding coverage in the US and Canada, you would have to check the Verizon web page. Europe, Africa and APAC are fully covered.

The only exceptions are Japan and China. Even if they started to setup networks that support the global standard, they are still running on their own technology. This is the point where the Curve 8330 “World Phone” comes into the game. This device works in the traditional Japanese and Chinese networks, too.

Only if you need to go to Japan or China and you are not staying in Tokyo, Hong Kong or Beijing  you need the “World Phone”.

“World Phone” is marketing stuff . :-)

Please use plain text.