Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Delete Wifi browser permanently -how?

[ Edited ]

I purchased a ROGERS 9700 no contract to replace my work phone. The company policy is that no mobile devices may have any method of interenet browsing. The 9700 will not network browse unless you have a blackberry data plan and I only have the personal email plan so that works well. The problem I have is that the wifi browser still works and even when I delete the wifi browser in the service books, it just comes back when I do a battery pull. How do I permanently get rid of the wifi browser without connecting to a BES? (the company does not have a BES) -hiding the icon is not sufficient...

Thank you J Sanders. Sounds like something that will work. Pardon my ignorance though, where will i find version 5.0.0 for my 9700? -when i look it up on the Blackberry site and enter my PIN (a ROGERS device) they don't show an available OS for the 9700 yet...   I can't get it off the device can I? I guess really what i need to know is how to "Install your current OS on your BlackBerry device to your PC"?  Thanks for your help, otherwise i can't use this device i paid $600 for Smiley Sad

Solutions: 6,153
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Delete Wifi browser permanently -how?

[ Edited ]

Before you start:
Install your current OS on your BlackBerry device to your PC.

1. On the PC, go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles\OS version\Java.
Create a new folder and name it Removed.

2. At c:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles\OS version\Java

Find the .cod named net_rim_bb_browser_dameon and move the cod to your new folder.

3. Plug in device and on your PC,  open Desktop Managver > AppLoader > Add/Remove Programs and work your way through the process to remove the net_rim_bb_browser_dameon module. You won't notice any changes until after you see the Application loader screen, don't click any check boxes, just click Next, and then Finish. ONLY after clicking Finish will you see a quick notice that the browser_daemon module is being removed.

Close DM on completion. Allow your device to reboot.

Upon any reboot, you might get a java error on startup. Ignore it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thank you J Sanders. Sound like something that will work. Pardon my ignorance though, where will i find version 5.0.0 for my 9700? -when i look it up on the Blackberry site and enter my PIN (a ROGERS device) they don't show an available OS for the 9700 yet...   I can't get it off the device can I? I guess really what i need to know is how to "Install your current OS on your BlackBerry device to your PC"?  Thanks for your help, otherwise i can't use this device i paid $600 for Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]

Here's a link to the download.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9700-series-discussion-onyx/210123-latest-os-9700-5-0-0-541-...

Download the OS file, and follow Steps #1 and #2. You won't need Step 3

Then proceed with my notes in the previous post.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
kgr
Contributor
My Device: Where do I start? ;)

Hi billd;

Just remember to delete the vendor.xml file if you're not using an official release OS. Smiley Happy

cheers

kgr wrote:

Hi billd;

Just remember to delete the vendor.xml file if you're not using an official release OS. Smiley Happy

That's completely covered in Step #2 of the instructions included in the link I have him.

Knowledge Base Updates
kgr
Contributor
My Device: Where do I start? ;)

JSanders

My apologies - I haven't even checked it out yet...

Sorry about that  Smiley Sad

Ken

New Contributor

Worked like a charm! thanks a million J Sanders

when i restart it the only thing i get is a warning saying 'Uncaught exception: ApplicationRegistry.waitFor(0xbc6259193b4b87c)timeout" and i just have to click 'ok' twice and all is well.

one note for anyone trying it:

if you go to >manage connections and attempt to check off the 'Wi-Fi' box, the device shuts down. (you just do a battery pull and all is well again)

thanks again J!

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon

Just out of curiosity how is your employer able to dictate what you have on a device your purchased? If it is there property issued to you I could understand but if the money came out of your wallet and not theirs I would think they don't have a right to dictate what your personal property can or cannot do. They, could, I imagine, say employees may not access the web during work hours but otherwise?
Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
New Contributor

billld wrote:

Worked like a charm! thanks a million J Sanders

Wanted to know (1) if it remained deleted permanantly even after restarting the phone or updating with the 6.0 operating system and (2) if there was any way to get the WIFI to start working again? Thank you.