Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
MrFritz99
My Device: Not Specified

Desktop Manager doesn't see media card - unmasked!

Like many others on this board I purchased a media card for my BB (in this case a Bold) only to be frustrated that it would not show up in Desktop manager either through Roxio or Media Sync.  All of my memory settings appeared correct, I could format the media card on the device, I could have the camera take pictures and save them to the media card, I could explore the media card under the Bold's Media Manager on the device itself.  Needless to say I was frustrated when I would open the desktop manager and try to sync music and only my Device Memory could be seen!

Well I don't know if this will work for everyone else, but I finally figured out what the problem was in my situation.  After thumbing through a number of pages on the Blackberry Support Site (by the way, the ATT folks were useless on helping me out with this one) it turned out it was my computer! Not Media Manager or my Blackberry!

Actually as soon as I read the support page that said "if you cannot view your media card using Microsoft Explorer" it dawned on me!  I'm not sure if Vista is the same way, but XP has this pesky little habit of doing a poor job at assigning drive letters for flash drives.  My machine has one of those multi card readers that takes up a lot of drive letters.  If you look at the list in explorer (file explorer that is) and the next logical drive letter is already assigned to something on your system, Microsoft isn't smart enough to skip that letter and to to the next.  If the drive letter isn't assigned, the logical drive is not enabled, and you can't see it in Desktop Manager!

My Blackberry's Device Memory was assigned as drive K:, drive L: happens to be a drive a mount from a remote machine.  As soon as I disconnected L: as a mounted drive "poof" up shows:

L:Blackberry2[media card]

in addition to my

K:Blackberry1[Device Memory]

Suddenly Desktop Manager can see it all!

Ok, it was a long post but it took me a long time to figure out, so it's only fair! *grin*

On XP, if you go to:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management and select Disk Management, it should show you if you have any conflicts with drive letter assignments.

Hope this helps
Please use plain text.
DRSpringer

Re: Desktop Manager doesn't see media card - unmasked!

As always I was hoping this post would solve my problen but again I am left without answer. I tried that and my device doesn't show up there either. For whatever reason my Blackberry connects to the computer but the memory card does not show up. It works in the phone and the card reader but not through the USB cable. (Yes, I've also tried other cables.)

I'm still looking for an answer, there must be something simple I'm missing.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Check this link please

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB12239&sliceId=1&docTy...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Please use plain text.
DRSpringer

Yep, I tried that one too. I love this new phone and if I can just get past this one hurdle it will be perfect. I think I've tried every suggestion out there, new USB drivers, the latest software and any combination of settings I can make but I must be missing something.

It doesn't show up in Disk Management so I can't change drive letter assignments. It doesn't show up on my laptop so I'm pretty sure its a Blackberry setting, I just can't find it.

If somebody has an answer I will be eternally grateful.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Can you try with another media card?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Please use plain text.
arnoldrkelly

Thanks.  I am using Windows XP and your solution worked.  I disconnected my network drive "F" and my media card immediatly showed up as my new "F" drive.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.