Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Desktop Service Books

I recently changed employers and I need help deleting the "Desktop" icon and service books which allowed my old employer to sync my blackberry with the firm's network so that I could receive emails, calendar, address book, etc.  However, I do not want to lose any of my contacts, etc.  I have synced my gmail my new Outlook account and have it coming to my Bold - will that be disrupted if I remove the desktop service books?  Lastly, do I still need the Corporate BES data plan from Verizon or can I downgrade to the lower data plan without affecting any of my current email settings/functions? 

Any help provided will be GREATLY appreciated Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Desktop Service Books

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

You actually need to totally wipe your BB in a special way. Your prior employers BES would have placed an IT Policy onto your BB. Since they did not clear it all off, you must do so. You do not want that IT Policy and the only way to truly eliminate it is via the following (simply deleting the Service Books is not adequate):

• Copy to your PC (using Mass Storage Mode) all of your files from Device and Media Card Memory

• Make note of all configurations you like, all add-on apps you have (including activation keys...you will need them again) -- anything that you have done to make your BB anything different from when it was truly new

• Selectively restore your BB data -- just the critical things (e.g., contacts, calendar, messages)...don't restore the IT Policy Database or you will simply put that back onto your BB...and you don't want it.

• Reinstall all of your added apps and reconfigure for how you like your BB to appear.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code