Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: BB Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Device Lock Password (reset)

So out of nowhere my BB decides not to accept my password to unlock my phone. It's the same I always use I haven't changed it, it just won't accept it and now it's at it's last attempt n says if incorrect it will erase all my data. So I cannot use my phone cause it's locked!! I tried calling AT&T and they couldn't help n gave me phone# to Blackberry. Tried  calling but can't get thru cause I need some tech svc code???  I guess I can try calling again tomorro morning n maybe I can get a live person. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do?????

Hall of Famer II
My Device: PRIV (5.1.1), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Device Lock Password (reset)

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Actually, there is nothing anyone can do. One of the hallmarks of BBs is security. If there were a way around the password, that would not be quite secure.

What is likely happening is that some key modifier is in place (or not)..caps. alt, num, something. Unfortunately, with only one chance left, it's most likely that you will not succeed. But, here are some things you could try...I cannot tell you which one to try, since you only get one chance.

With power on, remove the battery. Wait 1 minute and put it back in. Let it boot without touching it at all for 15 minutes, even if it appears to be OK...don't touch it for 15 minutes. Then, press a key and try to enter your password. With luck, the keyboard will have reverted to whatever state you need it to be in so that you can properly enter the password.

If you've tethered to your PC, do so now and enter the password on the PC keyboard. The counter for the password attempts is the same, regardless of entry method.

Actually, that's only two things...and that's all I can come up with right now. So give whichever one you think a try...and good luck.

Sadly, as I said, I don't hold out much hope. You most likely will fail and your BB will wipe clean. Then you can restore from your most recent backup -- you do take regular backups, don't you? I hope so.

Good luck!

Get your 15% discount at ShopBlackBerry.com! Click Here for details.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.
New Contributor

Thank You and of course I have not backed up recently. As it would be, recently I've taken many photos and added phone contacts and reminders, appmts., etc.  Figures!!  I will try rebooting as you mentioned. Again, thank you for your suggestion, you've been more helpful than AT&T.

Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 v6.0.0.576
My Carrier: Orange UK

@carolts

In future, please install BlackBerry Protect app. Amongst other features such as locating the phone and making it ring loud, you have the option to change the device password. Its all done from a computer.
It also makes backup regularly of some of your data.

All of its services are free so it would really help if something goes wrong.

Hope this helps.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Install this on your phone, it helps: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.
Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
New Contributor

Well sure enough it wiped itself clean!!! Lost everything Smiley Sad 

Hall of Famer II

Oh that's a shame. Well, you've learned a tough lesson. I do advise regular backups and/or agree with the prior advice to use BB Protect.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.
New Contributor
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: att

i'm in the same situation as we speak! what did you do after the phone wiped itself? Mine says "Reload Software: 513" i have no clue what this means!!
Curve 8900
v5.0.0.1007
Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 v6.0.0.576
My Carrier: Orange UK

@aherbert2

Connect yur phone to your computer and start Desktop Manager.

You will be prompted to update your phone. Perform the update and you are good to go.

Please remember to install BlackBerry Protect.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Install this on your phone, it helps: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.
Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: rogers

hey i need help unlocking my screen password i forgot it

Hall of Famer II

joeytkoleblanc wrote:

hey i need help unlocking my screen password i forgot it

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please scroll up and read this thread...your question is already completely discussed here (assuming by "screen password" you mean your user created device-lock password).

Good luck!