If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Trusted Contributor
MikeScully
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Do I move to the 9900 ??

Hey all..  I'm torn. I have a 9780 that works flawlessly. No issues no complaints. But (and there's always a but), I'm a gadget guy and like to have the latest and greatest so I'm considering upgrading to 9900 with the faster processor, more memory, better screen with touch function etc..   So I'm reaching out for advise to others who've done the same. Is it worth the major $$$ that I'd spend to do the upgrade or not ?  I'm not eligible for an upgrade so I'll have to pay full pop for a 9900 or buy a slightly used one (which I'm not sure about). Any experienced advise would be appreciated ! Thanks in advance !

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,875
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Do I move to the 9900 ??

Me, I'd have to have it.

Of course, by April/May, you should see the BBX devices, too. So if you can't upgrade twice six months... you might want to wait.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pulonium
My Device: 9930

I have both, imo hold off, the 9780 is perfect, reliable, the 9900 is buggy, (reception issues, occasional crashes). As the poster above me said, hold off 6 months for the new devices.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MikeScully

Thanks guy's for your input. Pulonium, if I were to get the 9900, is there any issues transferring my existing contacts, apps etc. from the 9780 to the 9900 or does Desktop Software look after all of that ?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Pulonium is offline right now, so with your permission I'll offer an answer.

Transferring everything from your current phone to the 9900 is effortless with BlackBerry Desktop Software.  The only minor issue might be that some of your apps might not yet be compatible with OS 7 and therefore you'd have to wait for updates to them.

As for the performance of the 9900, I have one and I have nothing negative to say about it.  I, too, am a gadget guy and I'm glad I got this phone (it was given to me but I'm glad it was).  So go ahead and get yourself a 9900 then go ahead and get a new BBX device in the spring.........you know you're going to!

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pulonium

As bill said, simple as to transfer between BB devices with the Desktop manager, i've never had issues transfering contacts between my bb's.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MikeScully

Thanks guy's...   Appreciate the input and always open to more !

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
techlawyer

If I were you, I'd hold off.  I have a 9930, which is the CDMA/GSM equivalent to the 9900. I'm in Jordan right now on business and had my 9930 die one morning after charging all night.  The unit could not be restored and had to be replaced -- which is not the easiest thing to do in Jordan.  Thankfully, I had a client coming over here who was able to bring a replacement unit with him.  Here's a link to the CNBC article about the problem:   http://www.cnbc.com/id/45362561

See also my post on this forum entitled "Blackberry Bold 9930 Died and Cannot be Restored . . "  You may also want to take a look at the posts about dead 9900s and dead 9930s on this forum, of which there are several.

I'd recommend holding off at least until this problem gets resolved.  I had a Tour before the 9930 that I was perfectly happy with.  Now I'm kicking myself for moving too soon to the 9930.  I think that the best advice was by one of the previous commenters -- there are issues with the 9900 and the 9930.  If I had it to do over again, I'd wait a few months before making the move. And that's what I suggest you do.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
dazza73
My Device: 9780 bold and playbook 32gb
My Carrier: o2 uk

stay with ur 9780 the 9900 is a good bb if it stayed on long enuf
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MikeScully

Thanks for the heads up on the problem !  I'll look for those other posts you mentioned. I had a Tour before the 9780 and really liked the phone too but had some probs with the trackball which were fairly common as well.

Please use plain text.