Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
baileysuchacek
My Device: 9700 bold

Downgrading from OS6 to OS5

I have a Bold 9700 that I recently upgraded from os5 to os6. I lost my address book (I'm sure that's gone), all of my add-on apps (I'm sure they're gone too),  the only way I can access the files on my memory card is to hook it up to the pc. but the main thing is the WI-FI doesn't work (also meaning appworld won't work either, so I can't get some of my apps back). Is their anyway to switch back to os5?

I don't really like this 'tray' layout either. is that a theme thing?

bailey

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Downgrading from OS6 to OS5

Sounds like the upgrade didn't go smoothly at all.  Did you backup your info using the desktop manager before the upgrade?  The tray layout isn't a theme, its the OS6 user interface.  Sorry you want to downgrade but you have some options.  You could wipe the device and start from scratch with OS6 or downgrade to OS5.

Reload OS6:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Device-software-for-BlackBerry/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-S...

Downgrade to OS 5

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/How-to-downgrade-blackberry-bold-9700-from-os...

I'm hoping you'll go for the reload vs the downgrade, but its up to you,  I'm sorry the upgrade didn't go as expected.

Hi!

re: downgrading from os6 to os5

I could get used to the tray layout, but can't do without the wifi: I don't have a carrier. Wifi is working just fineon my laptop, so don't think it's the signal.

bailey

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

You can still do this without having an carrier.  See these steps

http://crackberry.com/delete-vendorxml-or-not-delete-question

My Device: BB Bold

yes you can do this, to back your blackberry try download OS version 5
Please use plain text.
Contributor
baileysuchacek

Hi!

I'm not too worried about the vendor thing (the phone is unlocked anyway). I just want to get the wifi to work. Since I installed os6, the wifi stopped working

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

I never recommend installing OS 6 on a Bold 9700 because of the lack of internal memory required to run the OS.

However, reverting back to OS 5 shouldn't be necessary.  If you're happy with the performance of OS 6 on your Bold (minus the Wi-Fi issue, of course), then we should be looking exclusively at getting the Wi-Fi working for you.

Did you try deleting the home Wi-Fi profile under Manage Connections>Wi-Fi Network then adding it again?

If not, do that and report back.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
baileysuchacek

Hi!
I tried deleting the wifi profile, turning the thing off then back on, even pulled the battery and let it set for 24 hours. Wifi trys to work, but then just sits there, kinda like I lost connection (I'm 20' away from it). Laptop wifi works just fine.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

1. Delete the newer OS from your PC by going to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs. (If you never physically installed the OS to your PC, skip to step 2.)

2. Then download and install the older version of the OS. BlackBerry Operating System Downloads

3. Install the older OS to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
5. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
baileysuchacek

Hi!

Thank-you! Got the file I needed, got the bb down graded, and it's running a lot better (guess the 9700 can run os6, but isn't really meant to).  I do have some recovering to do (lost my address book, and no, I didn't have it backed up...), but I'll get through it.

Again, thx for the help!

bailey

Please use plain text.