Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
mickm
My Device: Not Specified

Duplicate emails in BB inbox after using Outlook

[ Edited ]
I recently switched my email account service on BIS from POP to IMAP and started having problems with my emails.

Here's the details:
Outlook 2007
BB OS v4.6.0.190

When someone sends me an email, I receive it on my Bold and in my Outlook inbox. I reply via the Bold and don't have any problems. I reply to the email via Outlook and the original email (not the replied sent) is duplicated into my BB inbox. This didn't happen before whilst using POP. I've deleted the email account on BIS three times now and the problem still reoccurs. I also double checked and made sure the email forward on Outlook and BIS is off; it is.

This is very much an inconvenience to have to delete the duplicated original email every time I reply to the original email sent to me via Outlook.

I also got on the phone with a Rogers Tech support rep and he told that "IMAP technology is designed to work this way. Someone will send you an email, you will receive it on the Bold and Outlook. If you reply via the Bold, no duplicate original emails will be received on the device. If you reply via Outlook, duplicates of the original emails will be received on the device."

At first, I was told it was a problem with my Outlook and I'd have to call MS tech support or perform a complete uninstall/reinstall of Outlook 2007.

Someone please help!
Message Edited by mickm on 12-10-2008 12:37 AM
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: Duplicate emails in BB inbox after using Outlook

- firstly please dont mention people's anmes, you could have just kept it to rogers tech, thanks.ou reply

-have you tried going back to POP and tested it?

-it seems like after you send the message from outlook, the UID of the message gets chnaged on your mail server at which point BIS sees it as a new message (BIS keeps track of messages based on UID of a message which should not change as per mail standards) and pushes the same.

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mickm

My apologies but I was just fuming b/c the tech just wasn't helpful nor did he listen to my problem despite repeated explanations to him.

I have gone back to POP and the problem was resolved

I most definitely think the UID does get changed.  Is there a way to disable it on the device or BIS?

I'd prefer IMAP over POP because of the real time message send/receive.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

-if UID is changing that means you rmail server is not following mail standards as this UID should not change and a si said BIS tracks polled messages by UID and you can't make any changes to it.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Please use plain text.
alphagirl

Hi,

Haven't had time to trawl through all the posts after yours to see if your problem had been solved but I had the exact same issue only yesterday and after fiddling around with settings finally worked out it was as simple as making a change on your Blackberry.  I have 4 separate email addresses/accounts set up on my blackberry bold 9000 via BIS (telstra) and both windows (vista/xp) and an imac as well as G4 powerbook.  i changed my email accounts from POP3 to IMAP to keep them all in sync more efficiently across the different devices and thats when the duplication issue arose.  turns out its nothing to do with any of the platforms or even IMAP itself but the blackberry. 

All you have to do is go to the settings on your Blackberry for each of the relevant email accounts and change the option "confirm delivery" (don't have blackberry in front of me so not sure if its exactly these words) from yes to NO.  once that is done you won't get the duplication anymore.  

Hope that helps.

Alpha.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ptrapper65

Please help since my IT guys are ignoring my requests for help.  I have the same problem and I've tried everythig.  I just switched to exchange.  I have a BB 7100i and get duplicate messages every time I either:

1) reply to a recieved email

2) flag or unflag an email

If I delete or move the email to a different folder, I do not get the duplicate email.  It's only the 2 case above.

I've deleted the BB email account and tried to set it up manually.  I still get these duplicates.

I have 3 email address's set up on the BB and it only happens to the account with exchange.

Please help so I can tell my IT guys how to fix this.  They just spent $50,000 to upgrade and it seems like they don't want to tell the boss that there a problems.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ptrapper65

Here is another tid bit.  If I start to reply to an email on Outlook and it takes me some time (maybe 10 minutes) to type the response, I get the duplicate email on my BB before I hit the send button.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
m00nbeast

Hi,

Several new Blackberry Storm owners at my company (including me) are having the exact same problem. 

We have an Exchange 2007 server and are using Outlook 2003 . I have the BIS set up. 

When I respond to an email in Outlook, I get a copy of the original email I was responding to, so I will then have two copies of the same email. 

Looking around at other sites with the same problem description, a few others also think that the Exchange server is changing the UID of the message being replied to in a way that makes the BIS think that it's a new message. Is this the case for a lot of other people? 

Did anyone ever figure out a fix for this? 

Please use plain text.
R3M
Contributor
R3M
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

The problem is with Microsoft Exchange IMAP and BIS.Any time you reply or edit an email message, the MS exchange server changes some sort of flag on the message, making BIS think it is a new message.

The only workaround that seems to reliably work is to configure BIS to use OWA (Outlook web access). This only works if you have OWA set up for your mail server. The only downside to this configuration is that BIS does not open an IMAP connection to the server, which means that it only polls for new email every 10 or 15 minutes.

Message Edited by R3M on 01-28-2009 05:55 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
m00nbeast

Thank you for the reply R3M. 

I had read another thread where this was suggested, but when I log into https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw - there doesn't seem to be any place to set that.

Advanced settings only shows:

Email server:

Email server type: POP3

Port: Timeout: 120  seconds

SSL:       

Please use plain text.