Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
HanSol00
My Carrier: molibicity

Re: Email Stopped Working!!

First of all, thanks for trying to help. My tone is not anger but frustration.

I called my mobile carrier, they see no problems but "re-set" my network. I don't know what this means, but I received a text message from them stating changes were made... I assume that's good

>"Also, just to be clear...step 1 worked exactly as written? The one registration message arrived to your BB?"

Yes, I went through the steps again with the network re-set. Registration works fine (it always did)

I did not find any service books to delete and no emails have been set-up.

I clicked "send serivce book" and still nothing

My mobile carrier said the only thing he thinks we can try is for me to call from a landline (which I don't have) and over the phone I can tell him my email/password and they can set it up over the phone - which sounds pretty silly to me, if it doesn't work from my phone, why would it work this way? And is that really the ONLY way to solve this issue? By letting other people know all of my passwords and email accounts, including sensitive ones?

If there is no solution, instead of throwing the phone in the garbage, can I just erase everything and start fresh? At this point, the only option is to buy another phone and I don't want to spend that much money just to get some emails.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

HanSol00 wrote:

First of all, thanks for trying to help. My tone is not anger but frustration.

No worries...I do completely understand.

HanSol00 wrote:

I called my mobile carrier, they see no problems but "re-set" my network. I don't know what this means, but I received a text message from them stating changes were made... I assume that's good

Hmmm...can't really be sure, "reset" can mean so many different things.

HanSol00 wrote:

>"Also, just to be clear...step 1 worked exactly as written? The one registration message arrived to your BB?"

Yes, I went through the steps again with the network re-set. Registration works fine (it always did)

Excellent...thanks...I apologize for having asked it, but so often that gets skipped over, and if that does not work correctly, then nothing else matters. So I always want to be totally sure.

HanSol00 wrote:

I did not find any service books to delete and no emails have been set-up.

I clicked "send serivce book" and still nothing

Since no emails are configured, there will be nothing to noticeably arrive when you send the Service Books...some will arrive, but you only get a message for those that have to do with configured email accounts. If there are no configured email accounts, then those particular Service Books are not sent, and therefore no notification arrives to you...but the other Service Books important to the operation of the device should be sent and received...you just have no way to obviously know that since nothing will arrive to Messages. Hence waiting the 1 hour that I recommended above.

HanSol00 wrote:

My mobile carrier said the only thing he thinks we can try is for me to call from a landline (which I don't have) and over the phone I can tell him my email/password and they can set it up over the phone - which sounds pretty silly to me, if it doesn't work from my phone, why would it work this way? And is that really the ONLY way to solve this issue? By letting other people know all of my passwords and email accounts, including sensitive ones?

I very much agree with you, and this method is truly a last resort method, but does require you to reveal your email credentials to someone you don't know. It is rare for things to need this, but it sometimes is the case. Having to talk to you via land line to do this is a bit odd, though...I don't see why he can't do it while talking to you over the mobile line. Then again, I'm not an internal carrier agent with detailed knowledge about what they can and cannot do...but it does sound odd.

HanSol00 wrote:

If there is no solution, instead of throwing the phone in the garbage, can I just erase everything and start fresh? At this point, the only option is to buy another phone and I don't want to spend that much money just to get some emails.

There should be other things to try, each with more and more drastic impact levels...so I'll give you some things to try in order of less to more drastic...

Since you have no email configured into the, please use the on-device email configuration wizard to do so.

If that fails, then from your BB Browser, try using this URL:

Sometimes, that can work when the on-device wizard fails.

Try again perhaps with a different carrier agent to see if they can configure your email into their BIS system without needing you to call from a land line.

The next thing would indeed be that drastic WIPE and starting totally over...but, before you do that, you should be sure you've got a good backup...here's some information:

After you are sure you have a good PC-based backup, then you can proceed with the WIPE:

• KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option

The result will be your BB "fresh and new", and you indeed have to start over with everything (including your BB ID). You will want to re-do the 3 original steps I provided to you, and then do little else but focus on getting your email working...don't add additional apps, restore your data, or anything else until this gets working again.

If none of those work, then you will need to continue working with your carrier...something is not right with the communication between your BB and their system, but only they have access to that system to try and diagnose. If they seem inept, keep requesting escalation. Some carriers have a dedicated BB support group that has better training...but normally those can only be reached via escalation from the "front line". Further, all carriers have the ability to escalate cases into BlackBerry for even more enhanced support on issues they cannot resolve.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
HanSol00

>If that fails, then from your BB Browser, try using this URL:

Sorry tried that, doesn't work.

Since this is the only phone I have and need it for work (talking to people) I'll do a full wipe over the weekend, since it will take time to get up and running (hopefully)...

Anyway, thanks for trying.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I would actually advice you to try working with your provider as to that step...they may well find something on their back end that is amiss. You may find that when you talk to a different agent, competency changes.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
HanSol00

I just wanted to say thank you for helping me!

I did a full swipe and the email works fine right off the bat, so something was corrupted. The BB also feels a lot faster now with a 'fresh' system.

Frankly, I was surprised that my contacts weren't erased (I guess they're on my memory card as I didn't swipe it) which made the transition easy.

I also wanted to apologize for my earlier posts that were perhaps a bit too angry and say thank you very much for getting my BB back up and running! :Clap:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I'm glad you got it going...you are very welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.