Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
wankling
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: MTS

Email over WiFi while Roaming in the US

I can browse internet over WiFi while roaming with my data services set to "On" , "off while roaming" but I have been unable to access email.  I was told that this is the way blackberries work - that you must turn on data while roaming and pay the charges if you want to access email.  My old Curve didn't work that way so I find it hard to believe that my Bold 9900 does work that way.  With my old Curve I simply had to connect to WiFi and voila my emails would come through without adjusting any other settings  - I didn't have to do anything more than that. 

Can anyone help?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Email over WiFi while Roaming in the US

It works slightly different on the 9900, you should be able to be connected to WiFi with data services off, and get your email. Don't set the "off while roaming". Leave it on.

Now that said, the above only came about with a recent OS upgrade, so you may very well need to connect to WiFi and then turn data service ON. Leave the "while roaming" alone, it should be on.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wankling

I'm not sure I'm following - if you don't set the "off while roaming" wouldn't the email simply come through whether connected to WiFi or not - and thus you simply get charged roaming charges?  It would just come through on the wireless network?  If that's the case there's no advantage or reason to connect to WiFi for email - you simply are paying for roaming anyway.  In both examples you suggested, you have said I must leave data on while roaming so the charges would come to be.

My Curve allowed me to turn data off while roaming, connect to WiFi and then emails would come through.  When you left the WiFi area, nothing would come through over wireless network. 

It puzzles me as to why Blackberry would not have continued this method? 

Thanks again for any help.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Puzzled or not, try it. Connect to WiFi and try it.

Your data will not be charged over the mobile network while you are connected to the WiFi.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wankling

So one would have to be conscious to then turn off data while roaming then once leaving the WiFi area? 

That seems so backwards from the wayt he Curve worked.  Anyway I guess I can't try it again until I am in the US again.  But again, I have to wonder why they would have made it so hard/different with the Bold - seems to me it was pretty intuitive the old way. 

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.