Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Kaywise
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780
My Carrier: ATT go phone
Accepted Solution

Email setup application cannot connect to server.

We lived in Dubai and moved home to Omaha NE.  We had ATT go phones for Omaha, BB bolds in Dubai. I took sim from my ATT put it in the Bold and everything worked perfectly.  I did same for Ken and his phone and text messaging works, but email won't send or receive. His Bold is 9780 slightly newer than mine.  

When I click on email setup, the initializing application displays this message, "Your device had a problem connecting to the server  Retry Cancel"  We have ATT and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections working.  The GPS knows where we are.  I can't figure out the problem.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Email setup application cannot connect to server.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I think you need to talk to AT&T. From all I can see, it does not look like the AT&T network natively supports the 9780 for automatic HRT registration and automatic Service Book delivery, both of which are required in order to properly receive all BB-proprietary services (which includes email). Further, you need to be subscribed to a data plan from AT&T which enables the services you desire -- I doubt that the "go" plan includes BB services.

What I suspect is happening is that your BB is still receiving BIS services from the Dubai carrier, even though your BB is operating on the ATT network. Such can happen, but only until the Dubai carrier discovers it and shuts it down on their end. I suspect that for Ken the Dubai carrier has already shut down all services...hence the reason his BB can get no BB-proprietary services.

Getting a BB to function on a carrier that does not natively support the specific model number is very very tricky...you can usually get voice-level services (e.g., calls, voice mail, SMS), and sometimes even some generic data services (e.g., web browsing), but not the BB-proprietary data services (BBM, email, etc.).

So, talk to AT&T to be sure that you can actually fully use these devices on their network...you should ask them the question very specifically -- "does your network natively support my 9780's for automatic HRT registration and Service Book delivery?"

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Kaywise
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780
My Carrier: ATT go phone

Re: Email setup application cannot connect to server.

Thanks.  Your answer was clear, complete, and helpful.  We will contact AT&T and may change networks if necessary.

Please use plain text.