Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
ACUK
My Device: 9700

Emails not deleting from Blackberry 9700 (mac & @me.com email account)

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did try a search but couldn't find anything that worked for me.

I've recently gotten a 9700, I have an @me.com email address, which I use via the 'mail' program on my mac.

1. When I delete a message via the mail program, it does not delete from the blackberry? Via the mac, I've tried leaving the message in the trash and reconciling, and also fully deleting the message from the trash, and then reconciling, but still no joy. The message remains on my 9700.

2. When on my blackberry, I'd also like to have the option of moving messages into my various folders that I've set up via my @me.com email address. I've tried to do this via the blackberry, but all it gives me is the option is to view the folder (and even here it's showing only showing 'inbox' & 'spam' rather than the other folders I have set up). Is it possible to move messages into folders on this type of email account?

Would really appreciate your help!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Emails not deleting from Blackberry 9700 (mac & @me.com email account)

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

There is no direct correlation between your BB and your MAC email client concerning OTA reconciliation -- everything goes through the server (whoever that is). BIS (hosted by your carrier) is the conduit between your email server and your BB. Your MAC also accesses the server. But, the BB and the MAC do not directly interact. Consequently:

ACUK wrote:

1. When I delete a message via the mail program, it does not delete from the blackberry? Via the mac, I've tried leaving the message in the trash and reconciling, and also fully deleting the message from the trash, and then reconciling, but still no joy. The message remains on my 9700.

This is a function of 1) what your MAC does with the server-based message followed by 2) how/if BIS can reconcile deleted items between the email server and the BB. For the first part, you have to check your MAC configuration and determine if it is removing the items from the server or not. For the second part, see this KB:

• KB05133 Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

Not all email services can reconcile deleted items OTA with BB's...you will need to determine where, in the KB matrix, your email service resides...and that will tell you if it's even possible.

ACUK wrote:

2. When on my blackberry, I'd also like to have the option of moving messages into my various folders that I've set up via my @me.com email address. I've tried to do this via the blackberry, but all it gives me is the option is to view the folder (and even here it's showing only showing 'inbox' & 'spam' rather than the other folders I have set up). Is it possible to move messages into folders on this type of email account?

Folder support is not provided via BIS. BES is required for that feature, and BES requires additional services -- typically a company-owned BES server that is providing the conduit between the corporate messaging system and the corporate BBs. I've heard some folks mention outside email services that provide BES-level accounts, but I've no further information than that.

Hope that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
ACUK

Firstly, thanks so much for your reply, really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Looking at the matrix, mine is an IMAP account (which I assume is the same as IMAP4), so it should reconcile from mailbox to device (for wireless deletion), but this is not happening for me? I have also unticked the "leave deleted messages on the server" option via my mail program but it still doesn't appear to be working. Any other suggestions?

Again, thanks for the advice on the folders - I can live with that, just wold really like to get my deleted messaged off of my device!

Also, is the delete from device feature I'm looking for, maybe something that's easier to work with perhaps gmail/yahoo etc?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Don't give up yet -- did you follow through the referenced KB to the link inside of it for instructions as to properly configuring the BIS conduit for deleted item reconciliation?

Plus, how long are you waiting? I have seen it take up to 24 hours for a deletion on the device to occur. This is because reconciling deleted items is of low priority both at the email service as well as within BIS.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
ACUK

Yep, followed the instructions on the other link and made sure my settings were all correct.

Ah, OK - thought the delete would be instant, will hold fire for 24 hours, and keep you posted!

Much obliged :smileyhappy:

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You should also expect that any items you deleted before changing that setting on your MAC client will never delete from the device. Only items since you reconfigured that setting will delete (well, maybe the others will...but I believe it important to keep expectations at an appropriate place). I therefore suggest you run some controlled tests. Send some new items to yourself from another account and then delete them with your MAC client...then see what happens on the BB with those specific items.

Cheers! I'll look for more information tomorrow!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
ACUK

As you suggested, the emails took about 20 hours to delete, but I'm happy they deleted nonetheless... You know your stuff, sdgardne!

Out of interest, is this likely to be the case with most email providers (the delay of deletion from the devise), or would it work better if I switched?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay...I've been AFK most of the holiday period.

I've not seen anything documenting which email service providers prioritize deletions higher than others. Plus, with all of the recent outages in the BIS world, it's really hard to tell where the delay was truly generated from. My experience is limited to a private POP email service, Comcast, and GMail (though I have been using the add-on GMail client rather than BIS for many months now). They all seem about the same -- which is to say, the results are various, even with the same provider. I've had times when deletions happened on my BB immediately...and other times when they took hours (up to 24 as I recall...perhaps even longer). So, my experience tells me that there's no material difference between the email providers that I've used. But, as always, YMMV!

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
luismi142
My Device: Not Specified

Hello, I have this exact same issue while using @gmail and trying to delete from either the gmail server or the macMail or Entourage mail program.  That is:

- If I delete an email from my blackberry, it DOES get deleted everywhere (on gmail server as well as MacMail or Entourage)

- BUT, if I use MacMail or Entourage to delete a message, it DOES get deleted on the GMAIL server but it DOES NOT get deleted on my blackberry.

PLEASE HELP!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

luismi142 wrote:

Hello, I have this exact same issue while using @gmail and trying to delete from either the gmail server or the macMail or Entourage mail program.  That is:

- If I delete an email from my blackberry, it DOES get deleted everywhere (on gmail server as well as MacMail or Entourage)

- BUT, if I use MacMail or Entourage to delete a message, it DOES get deleted on the GMAIL server but it DOES NOT get deleted on my blackberry.

PLEASE HELP!

Hello,

Please review this KB and ensure you have your BIS settings correct:

• KB13509How to reconcile email messages between the messaging server and the BlackBerry smartphone

If so, then I would recommend removing the BIS configuration, waiting perhaps an hour, and then re-integrating the account to your BB via BIS.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates