Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
Dumb
My Device: 9000 bold
Accepted Solution

Enquiry of memory card storage

I refer to the following:

My question:

The BB shows as at this moment "File Free status is 17077905 bytes" in "Option" folder. I know this storage is common for video, picture, email and others. Does this mean to me that at this point of time, I still have about 1.7 GB for net storage (in addition to software space)?

Your answer:

Actually the figure is 16.2867593765259 megabytes.

You are right about the use however. As far as video and picture I would strongly advise getting a media card for your device.

My follow up question is:

File Free status is 17077905 bytes in Option folder. Does this mean that my BB already include one memory card of 1GB. You refer to 16.28 megabytes refer to a standard memory capacity without this 1 GB card. As a result, I have actual 1.7 GB memory in my BB which I could use for video, picture and email.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,979
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Enquiry of memory card storage

16 to 17MB of file free is good.

You need to make sure your media file, pictures, vids, etc., are stored on the Media Card, NOT in the device memory.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Dumb

Could I make my question into perspective?

Herebelow are details of the BB memory:

Application memory - free space 16.9 MB

Device memory - free space 858.9 MB

Media Card - free space 964.3 MB

My questions:

1) I assume the email/memo/task/calendar/contacts take up space of Application memory and picture/video/music take up space of device and media card. Pls advise if I understand wrong.

2) Application memory and Device memory/Video card are separate holds where the memory could not flow from one into another.  If email/memo/contacts exceed 16.9 MB, the application memory will automically remove the "old contents" to allow the new emails in. It will not flow the "old contents" into device memory/media card for storage. If it can, where could I locate it?

3) Do Device memory and Media Card integrate as a whole memory? That is, if Device memory is full, the new contents will flow into Media card by itself or vise versa?

I appreciate if you could address answers specifically to above. Many thanks.

JSanders

1. Yes, I believe that is correct.

2. Correct.

3. No.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Dumb

Hi, Sanders,

You ask me to save video files, pictures to Media card instead of Device memory. Any reason for it? Is it that Device memory has to allow room for future installation of softwares.

JSanders

The reason is because the Media Card (should) have greater flexibility since you can have up to a 16GB Media Card.

Your device memory is limited.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
mac208x
My Device: Not Specified

Anybody who has 20mb and down should clean out some dirt and free some space. Im runing at 30-40 with google maps, gmail, bunch of themes and someother stuff
New Contributor
CtodaJ
My Device: Not Specified

Couldn't figure out how to post new topic so aplogies  (am I slow??)

Hope I'm not asking the same question, tried searching my question first. please don't shoot!!!

Just bought BB Bold today, I'm a mac user. I couldn't get pocketmac to work, I read on this site someone asking another user if they coudl see thier BB in the finder window.

I see my BB in the finder window and managed to drag movies and music sucssefully!! Yay. However... I tried dragging some episodes of Home Movies to it, i got two movies over sucessfully but now my computer tells me there  isn't enough space.

I have a 8g memory card, how do I know my music and movies are being sent to the memory card?? Also, Is there a view of the memory card on the phone??

Thanks so much for your help!

New Contributor
ggraubins
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000

Re: Inquiry of memory card storage

Greetings fellow Bolders,

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to tell the Bold to store things on the memory card instead of locally. Are there such options? I have a 4gb SD in the slot and none of it seems to be in use. My Application Memory says "Free Space: 0.0kb" and Device Memory "Total Space: 859.2mb / Free Space: 858.8mb". The Media Card says 3.6gb/3.6gb. I have an aweful lot of emails that I believe are taking up much of the application memory (?). Is there a way to have them stored on the SD card instead? I know about the purge option (15 days minimum), but still with that I think it'd take up a lot of space -- Plus it seems that option is for "Messages" (both emails and text?) and I want to preserve my text messages "Forever". I'm really just looking for ways to offload things to the SD -- Google Maps, application data, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Gregg