Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
faith28
My Device: Bold 9000

Error Msg (Uncaught exception: index 4>=4)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

When I power off my phone and on it again this error msg "Uncaught exception: index 4>=4" appear after I entered the password.

Would greatly appreciate if someone could help.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Error Msg (Uncaught exception: index 4>=4)

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!!

There's pretty much no diagnosing those -- they are the equivalent of the random errors in Windows for which tracing the root cause is fruitless. Basically, these are the last out in the programming code -- some event occurred for which there is no handler in the code. The fix is a code update that handles the event...but, again, knowing what the event is is pretty much impossible. So, there are a few things to try:

Sometimes, the code simply becomes corrupt and needs to be refreshed -- just like a reboot:

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

There might be an updated code set from the carrier -- check them via this portal:

The toughest possible cause is a badly behaving app. To find it, there are a couple of options. One is to see if you can read the log file:

Go to the home screen. Hold down the key and type 'lglg'. (You will not see anything while you type).This will bring up the log file. Scroll down (probably many pages) untill you see a line that says 'uncaught execption'. Click on this line. The name of the app will be in the info.

The other method is to remove apps one at a time, waiting a while in between (I usually recommend a week), until the problem ceases...thereby discovering the offending app.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
juicyjayd
My Device: 8350-i

this error is caused by yahoo messenger delete the app and reload it. shouldnt be a prob then!:Detective:

Please use plain text.
mhayward12
My Device: Bold 9700

It can't be because of yahoo messenger, i don't have it and its just come up on my device

Please use plain text.
bouaben12
My Device: blackberry curve 9300

please advice me

Hi,

When I power off my phone and on it again this error msg "Uncaught exception: index 4>=4" appear after I entered the password.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

bouaben12 wrote:

please advice me

Hi,

When I power off my phone and on it again this error msg "Uncaught exception: index 4>=4" appear after I entered the password.

Cheers

Hi and Welcome to the Community! And apoligies for the delay replying. Here are some updated instructions from what is already posted in this thread.

There's pretty much no diagnosing those -- they are the equivalent of the random errors in Windows for which tracing the root cause is fruitless. Basically, these are the last out in the programming code -- some event occurred for which there is no handler in the code. The fix is a code update that handles the event...but, again, knowing what the event is is pretty much impossible. So, there are a few things to try:

Sometimes, the code simply becomes corrupt and needs to be refreshed -- just like a reboot:

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

If it won't boot up cleanly, then you may need to try Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in safe mode

There might be an updated code set from the carrier -- check them via this portal:

The toughest possible cause is a badly behaving app. To find it, there are a couple of options. One is to see if you can read the log file:

Go to the home screen. Hold down the "alt" key and type 'lglg'. (You will not see anything while you type).This will bring up the log file. Scroll down (probably many pages) untill you see a line that says 'uncaught execption'. Click on this line. The name of the app will be in the info. Alternative methods for bringing up the logs are in this KB:

• KB05349How to enable, access, and extract the event logs on a BlackBerry smartphone

The other method is to remove apps one at a time, waiting a while in between (I usually recommend a week), until the problem ceases...thereby discovering the offending app. Still another method is to reload the BB OS cleanly, leaving some time between adding other apps onto the BB so as to be able to determine exactly which one is the cause.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Visitor
pronco
My Device: Torch

[ Edited ]

I repaired this error today on a Blackberry Torch using the following method. Client was getting the "uncaught exception: index 4>=4" error message upon boot, rendering the Blackberry completely inoperable. Safe Mode was inaccessible, Desktop Manager could not communicate with the device to reload the OS, and apploader could not communicate with the device when the battery and SIM card were inserted. This describes a classically "nuked" or "bricked" device, where most support personnel would advise that the only solution for the client is to discard the device and purchase a new one.

I suspect this error is partially caused by corrupted firmware, which is a low-level malfunction of the hardware/software interaction. Firmware corruption is often maintained by a passive power source, thus necessitating the removal of the battery for the first half of this repair.

1) Exit out of any currently-running Blackberry Desktop Management software, and any other program that interacts with the Blackberry. Shut down the Blackberry, unplug it from the computer, pop the rear panel and remove the battery, SIM card and memory stick.

2) Download the newest version of the Desktop Manager appropriate for your Blackberry and install it to the PC. If the program auto-runs after the install process completes, exit out of it. As a precautionary measure, especially when repairing corrupted firmware, it is always best to reboot the computer at this time to ensure a "clean" operating environment while performing the repair.

3) Once the computer has rebooted, locate the "apploader" program on the PC and run it. On Windows XP, it is located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader\loader.exe. You can navigate to this filepath by accessing the C: drive through the "Computer" or "My Computer" icon located on your desktop, or in the Start Menu. Once in the "Apploader" folder, double-click the file called "loader" or "loader.exe"

4) When prompted with the "Communication Port Selection" screen, plug the Blackberry into the computer. Again, the battery, SIM card and memory card, if present, must be removed. Once the Blackberry is recognized by the apploader program, click Next.

5) The apploader program should now be able to communicate with the Blackberry. Several progress bars will complete and you may be offered to select your apps at this time. After a while, the apploader will produce an error message that says it cannot communicate with the device. This is normal. Insert the battery and wait a few seconds for Windows to recognize the Blackberry. Hit "Retry" several times until the apploader program picks the Blackberry up again. It should now push forward with the OS load (after you have told it which apps you want).

6) Once the apploader reports that the loading operation was successful, hit Close. Shut the Blackberry down, unplug it from the computer, and remove the battery. Insert the SIM card, memory stick and battery, and close the panel. The Blackberry should now be able to boot up to the desktop with no issue.

-Paul Ronco, Computer Technician

Please use plain text.