Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Error message "Connection to Yahoo server was lost" when trying to sync Yahoo calendar

I am trying to sync my Yahoo calendar with my Blackberry Bold 9700 via the Blackberry Desktop Manager (version 5.0.1) and am getting the error message "Connection to Yahoo server was lost" when the calendar sync is occurring.  The only option on the screen is to press "OK".   Once "OK" is pressed, the Blackberry Desktop Manager returns to the synchronization screen.  The address book syncs successfully, but the calendar does not.  I have tried syncing one way and both ways without success. 

A few notes about the environment:

• I am using the newer version of Yahoo Calendar which I have seen recommended on other postings. 
  • I am using standard Yahoo - not the small-biz version.  I have seen this recommended, too.
  • I am connecting my Blackberry Bold 9700 to my laptop via the USB cable that is supplied by Blackberry.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue so that the calendar syncing will work with Yahoo calendar?

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Error message "Connection to Yahoo server was lost" when trying to sync Yahoo calendar

Hi Mountainbeach.......my problem exactly and I'm using the same connection methods and the New Yahoo calendar as well. I promise if I find and answer I'll let you know.  I just posted the same problem and so far no one has come back with any suggestions.   I get my Yahoo via BT and my mobile service provider is Vodafone. I found both organisations  to be completely unhelpful. Just wonder if you had the same experience.

Best regards Newshound

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Error message "Connection to Yahoo server was lost" when trying to sync Yahoo calendar

I have decided to switch to google mail, calendar and contacts.  It works GREAT.  Wirelessly syncing all with my Blackbery Bold 9700.  Also, transfer of information from Yahoo to Google went smoothly.

Yahoo's response to my request is as follows:

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Calendar.

I understand that you would like to sync your Blackberry Bold to your
Yahoo! Calendar. I apologize for the inconvenience and I would be happy
to assist you today.

At the moment, the feature you are requesting is not available. However,
we are always looking for ways to make Yahoo! Calendar more useful to
our users, and we will be sure to keep your concern in mind as we
continue to make improvements to our service.

It is through your comments and feedback that we are able to continue to
make improvements.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Calendar.

Regards,

Yahoo! Calendar Customer Care
Calendar E2Y

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

Details on setting up wireless sync with Gmail calendar, contacts, etc? 

Richpit
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: At&t

So, are you  only using Google or can you sync between Yahoo and Google?

Thanks!

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 8100
My Carrier: T-Mobile

It seemed so illogical for BB to continue to show Yahoo as a sync option through several versions of the sync manager, that I was willing to spend 2.5 hrs on the phone with them.

Sure enough, the ultimate end from BB support was that the Yahoo server no longer supports synchronization with Yahoo.  Oh...  and it is Yahoo's fault not Blackberry's.

Eugene

My Device: 8900
My Carrier: o2

Yahoo Sync used to work, but BTinternet kindly updated me to the version of Calendar, which clearly doesn't work.  I must have clicked on one of those trick accept buttons.

My Device: Curve 8500
My Carrier: US Cellular

As you can tell from my "handle" I'm getting more than a little sick of how companies are managing these things, from Microsoft to 3rd party apps.

When I first bought my BB, the Desktop Manager was slick.  Plug in your phone, it would give you the option to view folder, or you could start the app.  The app was clean and logical.  I could update, sync, and elect to use my phone as a modem for my laptop.  Within a couple months, upgrade messages started to pop up, and eventually, I did it...and that was the beginning of the end.  The subsequent version of the Desktop Manager don't make sense, don't give you the same options, and upgrades to the phone seem to have made it an albatross.  By comparison, we all know that every now and again, your camera features crash, so you cannot zoom, delete pics, etc., unless you pull the battery.

And, this sort of issue permeates computers, apps and gagets today, and NOBODY seems to be getting mad...and there's essentially nowhere but these lousy forums to complain.  You cannot call, and everywhere you turn, you're treated like a beginner, novice and moron.

I started receiving this error message about a month ago.  I use my BB to log billable hours, then upload to my Yahoo to print for billing.  NO MORE!  I've just completed an endless circle of loading/downloading updates, upgrades, searching solutions, unistalling, installing the old version...and until this page, NOTHING!

Mind you, I've not upgraded my Yahoo, but all this push technology will get you, one way or another.  Our forefathers had a saying that applies here, which roughly went "It'd be best for ya son, if you learned to leave well enough alone."  BINGO!  Here's a message to BB, RIM, Yahoo and all of them.  LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!  You're mucking with my mojo and productivity, and shame on you! 

As for changing services, to gmail or anything else?  I don;t think so, it's only a matter of time before they do the same.  I'm going back to a wire bound booklet.