Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Pinguini
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

Error trying to play podcasts on my 9700

Relatively new BB; this is my first posting. I downloaded some podcasts from the iTunes store (Rick Steves audio tours to sights in Rome) first to my computer and then I created a folder on my memory card and copied them (as instructed by a T-Mobile tech support person). After some effort I located the folder. When I click "play" on a file I receive a message "An error has occurred attempting to play media." Now what? Do I need to download an application (iTunes?) to play the files?

Also, can I download directly to the BB, bypassing the computer?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Error trying to play podcasts on my 9700

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Check to see if the files have DRM content protection.

In MyComputer right click the file and display summary advanced.

This may be why you cannot play the files. Read the attached links for details.

You can purchase iTunes without DRM but they are more expensive.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB16309 Digital Rights Management and the BlackBerry smartphone

KB16310 Media Transfer Protocol and the BlackBerry Storm smartphone

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pinguini

Hi "Bifocals."

I've seen you here often as I've scanned the forum for tips and solutions. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Unfortunately, so far we're not there, but based on your comments and the links, I now have more information.

1. I see no evidence of DRM or any other form of protection, unlikely since the files are free for the downloading.

2. The KB16309 link says "DRM protected music files from iTunes® can be identified with the M4P file extension." While these files were indeed downloaded from iTunes, they have an M4A extension. (I don't know what affect that has on their ability to be played.)

3. While they don't automatically play on my computer, when I associate then with the iTunes software (also just downloaded), they play fine. Do I have to download that player to the BB? Can I?

4. I tried the settings suggested in the KB16310 article but they're different on mine; it does not ask for Encryption mode or MTP protocol. Maybe they don't all apply to the newer models.

I think this is all I can add now. Does any of it help? Any other options?

Thanks.

Pinguini

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]

Pinguini wrote:

Hi "Bifocals."

I've seen you here often as I've scanned the forum for tips and solutions. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. You're brave! :smileyvery-happy:

Unfortunately, so far we're not there, but based on your comments and the links, I now have more information.

1. I see no evidence of DRM or any other form of protection, unlikely since the files are free for the downloading.

2. The KB16309 link says "DRM protected music files from iTunes® can be identified with the M4P file extension." While these files were indeed downloaded from iTunes, they have an M4A extension. (I don't know what affect that has on their ability to be played.)

3. While they don't automatically play on my computer, when I associate then with the iTunes software (also just downloaded), they play fine. Do I have to download that player to the BB? Can I?

4. I tried the settings suggested in the KB16310 article but they're different on mine; it does not ask for Encryption mode or MTP protocol. Maybe they don't all apply to the newer models.

I think this is all I can add now. Does any of it help? Any other options?

Thanks.

Pinguini

Hi,

First the bad news: :smileymad:

The .M4A file format for audio is unsupported at this time. See the attached link for all supported formats. DRM does not play a factor in this instance.

I just verified this with my 9550 by trying to play a podcast in .M4A format which failed.

The good (better) news: :smileytongue:

There are free conversion programs that will convert your files into any one of several supported

formats.  I personally have not used any of them and cannot vouch for any particular program.

One of my friends/fellow users here is extremely knowledgeable in media formatting. 

He is the best source for a reliable program recommendation. Might take a day, though.

Sound Good? Let me know.

Thanks,

Bifocals

LINK  

:smileyvery-happy:

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pinguini

I've already invested so much time. That I can't stop now. A day or two won't matter so please ask your friend/colleague for his guidance on file conversion. (Hopefully with enough detail that a non-techie can follow.) While I haven't succeeded so far the efforts have helped me explore the capabilities of this incredible machine.

Thanks again,

Pinguini

p.s.: "See the attached link for all supported formats." I didn't see a link: :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Thanks again,

Pinguini

p.s.: "See the attached link for all supported formats." I didn't see a link: :smileysad:

I made it a little more noticeable

:smileyvery-happy:

Bifocals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pinguini

Hi Bifocals,

According to the link you provided (now that I found it . . .) M4A audio links are supported on the 9700 Bold, but they don't play when I click on the files. There's some things about CODEC that I don't understand. Does that matter? Or should I just be patiemt and wait for a response from your friend?

Pinguini (oops, I almost used my real name. I guess that's a no no :smileyvery-happy:)

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Hi Pinguini!

Sorry I'm late getting back, and I haven't heard from the "expert yet"

He may be on holiday.  I hope you 4th was better than mine!

Did you know that Rick Steve's site lets you sign up for fee .MP3 copies of all his podcasts? I down loaded about 10 to test. Very clear, very well done. They have the maps with them

in .pdf format. I would use those in a heartbeat.

I then spent about about an hour and a half at the online apple store with the the "free Iplus versions of

of Rick Stave's podcasts. I never got a direct answer on the file types, codecs, restrictive or

proprietary encoding in the entire time I was there. All media could only be sampled through a

downloaded Imedia Iplayer. 

The documentation stated several times that the files  had ID records

That if you had not listens to the set in a specified time they would not send you more.

If  you wanted to copy to a CD, you had to put the exact number of files in the batch you were sent the rest were lost to you. That may not DRM protection but that certainly not an open format either.

I have always stayed away from  iTunes as it seemed to be a small hassle.

I was so very wrong.

I am not into politics or name calling, so just side observation.

The people and policies behind iTunes are beyond question the largest

group of Fascist fanatics driven to digitally dominate every decibel in the universe!

Like I said you have to download an Iplayer for any access.

As soon as you open it the player it  tries to organize and digitally catalogue all of your

personal music. My wife had gotten some iTunes as a  gift probably 10 years ago.

The sales person mentioned that I was incorrectly storing them with Itune media.

So personally I would get the media from the Rick Steve site.

If I couldn't do that, I'd take an old 8 trak before an i anything!

Sorry for the rant :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pinguini

Hi Bifocals,

You rant. I feel like an **bleep**. Because I confess I was familiar with the distinction between MP3 files and podcasts (all explained nicely in Rick Steves FAQ http://www.ricksteves.com/news/travelnews/0602/audiotour.htm#4) -- hey, I'm a grandfather!

I went through the whole elaborate process of downloading the iTunes software to my computer before realizing, with your help, that it doesn't play on the BB. Now you've told me I didn't need to do that at all, just download the MP3 versions and they'll play fine, bypassing iTunes entirely. Duh!

Oh, I did download and print the pdf maps. I agree they're great.

I won't comment on your "rant," though, with this limited experience, it's hard not to be sympathetic.

So that should be easy, right? Nope. Here's where second-level idiocy comes in. I hesitate to ask, but you've been such a great source, I have to. I tried downloading the smallest MP3 file directly to the BB, but got a message saying it was too large. Alternative is to download to the computer and then drag and drop to the BB. That's what I did the other day with the iTunes version. But now when I plug the BB into the computer I hear all the appropriate beeping noises and and "F" drive appears in Explorer. But when I click on that drive a message appears "Please insert a disk into drive F." It happens no matter what order I follow or whether I turn either the computer or BB on or off first.

It should recognize the BB like any other external drive, right? It doesn't. I'm guessing (hoping?) it's just a simple fix I don't know about. After all you've done, can you solve this one?

(Good thing I don't leave for Rome for another two weeks. But still . . .).

Thanks for your continuing assistance. Oh, it doesn't look like I'll need the help of your expert friend, assuming the MP3 files can be loaded.(I do have an old Walkman lying around somewhere. Think that might help? :smileyvery-happy:

Pinguini

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]

Pinguini wrote:

Hi Bifocals,

You rant. I feel like an **bleep**. Because I confess I was familiar with the distinction between MP3 files and podcasts (all explained nicely in Rick Steves FAQ http://www.ricksteves.com/news/travelnews/0602/audiotour.htm#4) -- hey, I'm a grandfather!

Nope that won't work on another grandfather!  (Gramps actually!)  :smileyvery-happy:

I went through the whole elaborate process of downloading the iTunes software to my computer before realizing, with your help, that it doesn't play on the BB. Now you've told me I didn't need to do that at all, just download the MP3 versions and they'll play fine, bypassing iTunes entirely. Duh!

Oh, I did download and print the pdf maps. I agree they're great.

I won't comment on your "rant," though, with this limited experience, it's hard not to be sympathetic.

I shouldn't have ranted to begin with, sorry.

So that should be easy, right? Nope. Here's where second-level idiocy comes in.    You are new at this take it easy on yourself! :smileywink:

I hesitate to ask, but you've been such a great source, I have to. I tried downloading the smallest MP3 file directly to the BB, but got a message saying it was too large. Alternative is to download to the computer and then drag and drop to the BB.

I downloaded the media to the PC.

1) I wanted the full advantage of my virus checking software.

2) One there I wanted to analyze the media and do some comparisons before I placed them on the media card.

That's what I did the other day with the iTunes version. But now when I plug the BB into the computer I hear all the appropriate beeping noises and and "F" drive appears in Explorer. But when I click on that drive a message appears "Please insert a disk into drive F." It happens no matter what order I follow or whether I turn either the computer or BB on or off first.

F: drive being your media card or your device memory?  Which has the iTunes on it?

Do you usually see 2 drives one is the device memory and one is the media card?

It should recognize the BB like any other external drive, right? It doesn't. I'm guessing (hoping?) it's just a simple fix I don't know about.

After all you've done, can you solve this one? No, but we can!

Have you made any changes in options>memory>settings on the Blackberry?
Media card support ON

Encryption mode NONE

Media transfer protocol ON (Storm and Bold only)

Mass storage support ON

Auto enable Mass storage support when connected ON.

Do you have a card reader for the media card?

(Good thing I don't leave for Rome for another two weeks. But still . . .).

Thanks for your continuing assistance. Oh, it doesn't look like I'll need the help of your expert friend, assuming the MP3 files can be loaded.(I do have an old Walkman lying around somewhere. Think that might help? :smileyvery-happy:

Pinguini

Yoy can thank me when we fix this, until then find the walkman!  :smileywink:

Please use plain text.