Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Error trying to play podcasts on my 9700

hello all !

If need be, for a given media file (audio or video), you can easily know the codec used. Just download GSpot Codec Info Appliance. I have been using this free tool for years now.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Once you have the name of the codec, you can match it with the PDF document that Bifocals gave you a few days ago.

On a more general point of view, DRM is what the RIAA & friends found to fight piracy. The problem is that it only affects the people who buy songs with DRMs. Pirates are not concerned at all.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hello Bifocals,

We did it! Short version. I've downloaded all the MP3 files to the BB and they play just fine. My gratitude is unbounded.

Longer version. The key, I think was that when I looked (per your suggestion) at the memory card settings, I received a message that no such card was present. That, of course, explains why I couldn't access it. Of course it was present, so I removed and reseated it. Scarily, the first time I tried to access it I got the same error message (very discouraging) but I played around with other settings and it eventually appeared and dies so now, every time.

The rest was easy, though tedious. I downloaded all ten files of interest to Real Player which includes a BlackBerry Bold (and other) utility(ies) that not only coverts the files to a form readable by the BB but also transfers them to the media card (not where I wanted them, but easy enough to shift with Windows Explorer). Downloading took about 20 minutes per file; trtansfering another 3-5 minutes. But it's all done.

So the original problem was solved by recognizing that I should download MP3 files (not iTunes M4A). The second (accessing the BB on the computer) by making sure the card is seated properly and the settings are correct.

It's kind of moot at this point, but since you asked (I'm in blue)

F: drive being your media card or your device memory?  Which has the iTunes on it? Media card

Do you usually see 2 drives one is the device memory and one is the media card?  Yup

It should recognize the BB like any other external drive, right? It doesn't. I'm guessing (hoping?) it's just a simple fix I don't know about.

After all you've done, can you solve this one? No, but we can! And we did!

Have you made any changes in options>memory>settings on the Blackberry?  I hadn't; these were default.
Media card support ON

Encryption mode NONE  Actually, Encryption mode is not shown as an option, but it doesn't seem to matter

Media transfer protocol ON (Storm and Bold only)

Mass storage support ON

Auto enable Mass storage support when connected ON. Choices are yes and no
:smileyhappy:It's yes

Do you have a card reader for the media card?  if you mean an external one, no.

In any event, whatever I (you) did is working great.

I will of course offer kudos. But I'd like to offer a drink or more if you're ever in or near Chicago. I'm guessing, with all your posts, you can travel the country receiving appreciative offers.

So, thanks again for not only your expertise, but your graciousness.

Pinguini

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Pinguini wrote:

Hello Bifocals,

We did it! Short version. I've downloaded all the MP3 files to the BB and they play just fine. My gratitude is unbounded.

Longer version. The key, I think was that when I looked (per your suggestion) at the memory card settings, I received a message that no such card was present. That, of course, explains why I couldn't access it. Of course it was present, so I removed and reseated it. Scarily, the first time I tried to access it I got the same error message (very discouraging) but I played around with other settings and it eventually appeared and dies so now, every time.

The rest was easy, though tedious. I downloaded all ten files of interest to Real Player which includes a BlackBerry Bold (and other) utility(ies) that not only coverts the files to a form readable by the BB but also transfers them to the media card (not where I wanted them, but easy enough to shift with Windows Explorer). Downloading took about 20 minutes per file; trtansfering another 3-5 minutes. But it's all done.

No need at all for Real Player. The files were in the correct format. If you formattted your

media card on the Blackberry (recommended) you would have all the proper directories

created at once. I loaded 30 files total via PC to the podcast detector on the media card in

about 5 minutes. You'll get there. :smileyhappy:

So the original problem was solved by recognizing that I should download MP3 files (not iTunes M4A). The second (accessing the BB on the computer) by making sure the card is seated properly and the settings are correct. Nice catch on the media card, some people would have lumped it

in as part of file conflicts.

It's kind of moot at this point, but since you asked (I'm in blue) (great I 'll try Manly Pink!)

If you ever watched Friends, it's not moot, it's MOO a Moo point!  (Joey of course)

F: drive being your media card or your device memory?  Which has the iTunes on it? Media card

Do you usually see 2 drives one is the device memory and one is the media card?  Yup

It should recognize the BB like any other external drive, right? It doesn't. I'm guessing (hoping?) it's just a simple fix I don't know about.

I'll send you some info on storage modes etc. Yes it's a simple fix.

After all you've done, can you solve this one? No, but we can! And we did!  :smileyvery-happy:

Have you made any changes in options>memory>settings on the Blackberry?  I hadn't; these were default.
Media card support ON

Encryption mode NONE  Actually, Encryption mode is not shown as an option, but it doesn't seem to matter

Media transfer protocol ON (Storm and Bold only)

Mass storage support ON

Auto enable Mass storage support when connected ON. Choices are yes and no
:smileyhappy:It's yes

A card reader is about well free when you buy a media card, real good tool to have.

In any event, whatever I (you) did is working great.

I will of course offer kudos. But I'd like to offer a drink or more if you're ever in or near Chicago. I'm guessing, with all your posts, you can travel the country receiving appreciative offers.

Well 27 years ago you could have bought me a drink at Mothers on Rush (bouncer) or the "Venture Inn" biker bar on the southside near Brother RIce. (Oak Lawn).

Just to further blow your mind, I lived in Vicenza, Italy for 21/2 years. I  would appreciate if you drop

me a note and tell me what it looks like now. Are you only staying in Rome?

So, thanks again for not only your expertise, but your graciousness.

Pinguini

Very Cool for the nice words. Resolve this post and let others find your answers faster, OK?

Thanks,

Bifocals

P.S. Pinguini: Go for the bonus round!  What three essentials are you going to pick up before

your trip?

OH Yes! A day late and a Franc short!

See that raggedy old green thing hanging around the thread? Meet my very good friend and fellow user Xandrex. I suggest you read him daily and learn as much you can. I do!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hello Bifocals,

With everything evidently resolved, I failed to notice a few remaining comments.

Now green

Bifocals wrote:

No need at all for Real Player. The files were in the correct format. If you formattted your

media card on the Blackberry (recommended) you would have all the proper directories

created at once. I loaded 30 files total via PC to the podcast detector on the media card in

about 5 minutes. You'll get there. :smileyhappy:

The card was pre-formatted with the standard directories. I didn't realize I could do it the easy way . . . Now I do.

A card reader is about well free when you buy a media card, real good tool to have.

Good idea; I'll look into it.

Just to further blow your mind, I lived in Vicenza, Italy for 21/2 years. I  would appreciate if you drop me a note and tell me what it looks like now. Are you only staying in Rome?

Very cool. Mostly Rome, two days in Florence, no where near Vicenza. Sorry.

P.S. Pinguini: Go for the bonus round!  What three essentials are you going to pick up before

your trip?

Stumped! On the tech front, it seems I need onkly the BB (but I'm still taking the laptop to downloaf pix and such.

OH Yes! A day late and a Franc short!   psst -- they use Euros now  :smileyvery-happy:

See that raggedy old green thing hanging around the thread? Meet my very good friend and fellow user Xandrex. I suggest you read him daily and learn as much you can. I do!  Actually, I review the forum frequently looking for any topics of interest. Happily, most of the problems don't apply. It works fine.

Best,

Pinguini