If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Antoine81
My Device: Bold 9780 white
My Carrier: T-mobile
Accepted Solution

Factory warranty

Hello, I'm getting rather desperate about not being able to resolve the problem with my Bold9780 white.

I have a 1 year old BB bold 9780 white. I bought this smartphone on the web on 19/10/2011 at an official BB supplier (Gigavolt) but without SIM-lock and without subscription. Then I bought a SIM-only subscription at T-mobile. This combination well until October this year when problems with the lock key and the key board started to spoil my communications.

Unfortunately Gigavolt went bankrupt in May this year. now one took over their warranty obligations so a dead end.

I can't go to T-mobile because they didn't supply me the phone. So now I'm trying to make use of the RIM factory warranty service since the phone has a 2 year warranty. So I'm still whithin the warranty period.

The only phone number I could find on the web was in the UK but it doesn't seem to be in use anymore.

So I sent an email to help@rim.com to find out where to go to. The answer was a general reply stating that the email had not been delivered and that I should go to either my wirelss provider (that would be T-mobile but in this case not applicable, see above) or to the forum. It would have been different, of course, if I were a professional company with a technical support contract.

So this forum seems to be my last resort before considering my BB to be trash and throwing it away. Of course I can still try a smartphone repair shop but this would then be outside the warranty of course.

So does anyone know what to do in this particular case? Where can I turn to with my Bold 9780 for repair or replacement under the factory warranty? The problem is 2-fold: a non functioning "lock key" and a keyboard problem (letters do not appear or the wrong letters appear after pressing the keys).

Antoine

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,871
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Factory warranty

Antoine, just so you know, This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. We are users just like you.

If your device was purchased in October of 2011, it would be out of warranty, regardless.

The issue you state ("a non functioning "lock key" and a keyboard problem (letters do not appear or the wrong letters appear after pressing the keys") is not uncommon with devices with moisture damage.

It sounds like what I have seen multiple times on a device with moisture damage.
Even sitting on a bathroom counter during a hot steamy shower or bath can cause keyboard and trackball problems UNTIL properly dried out. It really is more common than you think.
1. Remove the battery immediately!! Do not attempt to turn on your BlackBerry.
2. Let the device dry in a warm, dry place for 3 to 5 days* (see below)
3. DO NOT "check it each day" by placing the battery in. Leave it be to dry completely. This takes time. Replacing the battery to check it can only damage it more (moisture + electrical current = disaster).
4. If the device is warm after the drying period, allow it to cool to room temperature before placing the battery back in.

Suggestions on drying your BlackBerry in a warm place (open, with the battery out):
*Place the BB in a container of dry UNcooked rice, and then you might also place it in any of the locations mentioned below.
*On top of any dry heat emitting electronic component: TV cabinet or CRT, LCD, cable TV/Satellite converter box or plasma monitor
*On the dashboard of your car on a sunny day

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

As JSanders stated, warranty is only ONE year, not two, so you're out of luck for any warranty, regardless.

As for keyboard issues like that what usually happens is that there are small, round, metal, concave domes under a tape-like material. When you press the keys, the pop down and make contact with the board. When moisture gets in there it corrodes those small metal contacts and they become erratic, sometimes making contact, sometimes not, or sometimes doubling up letters.

There is no way to repair it on the 9780 as that tape material is difficult to get off and is all part of the main board. You can try the drying out process that Mr. Sanders spelled out but it's possible that the damage is already done and you may have to find a replacement device.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Antoine81

Thx, I immediately started this 5 day-process. As for warranty: I checked it on the CD to be sure and you're right: 1 year although the repair centre said it was 2. In both cases, I stil think I can use it because the problems started well beofre the end of the 1yr period.

More to follow in a few days.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Antoine81

You're probably right but I'm trying the drying option anyway to see if it helps.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Antoine81

So just coming back to this issue. The drying suggestion really helped:smileyhappy:!! I put it for one week on top of my TV decoder and since then my BB bold works as it should. So thanks a lot for that suggestion. No more putting it in the bathroom during showers and no more calls when it rains. I hope I will enjoy the use of this smartphone for many years to come.

So glad with this forum!!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,871
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Antoine81 wrote:

So just coming back to this issue. The drying suggestion really helped:smileyhappy:!! I put it for one week on top of my TV decoder and since then my BB bold works as it should. So thanks a lot for that suggestion. No more putting it in the bathroom during showers and no more calls when it rains. I hope I will enjoy the use of this smartphone for many years to come.

So glad with this forum!!

Antoine, you're very very welcome, so glad it helped you. Moisture problems like that can be overcome, but sometimes it can be too late... appears yours was not too late.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Well done! Glad no permanent damage was done.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.