Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: T mobile UK

Fed up with bold 9000

I've had my bold 9000 for just over a year now and although the memory leak on it is now sorted out, I am fed up with it.  Every day the application memory space gets smaller.  I am now left with only 13.8mb of application memory space and I only have a few critical apps installed.  It is a pain to always be anxious about the application memory.  I am going to upgrade to the bold 9900 soon, I am keeping my eye on the prices and waiting for a cheaper one to come on on Amazon as I refuse to pay the extortionate prices being charged by the networks and the high street...we are being ripped off for smartphones and we should stop pouring our money down the drain...I want a good smartphone but I don't need the latest one.  Although it would be good to have one with a decent browser as the browser on the 9000 is pitiful and you can't do much than look at simple web pages...you can't interact on the web like you can on the iphone.  But I am put off the iphone because it has very poor battery and you can 't get an extended battery like you can for a blackberry...I use a 3000mah for my 9000 which lasts more than a day although I charge every night.  I was thinking of the samsung galaxy s3 or s4 but the prices are just ridiculous...so I've come back to the bold 9900...I don't want to pay more than £180 for one though. But if my 9000 carries on this way I will have to get a 9900 soon although I was hoping to wait and see if prices come down a bit more.  I don't understand why the 9000 is so popular with this application memory farce!!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Fed up with bold 9000

Hello,

Actually, given what you describe, your opening sentence would seem to be inaccurate...your memory leak situation is certainly not "sorted out", given what you describe.

Rather, you could conduct various diagnostic procedures to try and root out the exact cause of the memory leak. It could be an app, or it could even be the OS itself. Trying different diagnostic tests could root out what the true culprit is, and from that formulate a strategy to deal with it. It could be as simple as not installing the offending app. It could be as complicated as having to try multiple OS versions until you find one that is stable for your circumstances. Or it could be as simple as your personal operating methods just being too taxing on overall resources, and a regular reboot schedule might be the right solution for you.

From what you describe, I doubt that your issue is hardware, but the process to root out the issue could be quite tedious indeed. But, I cannot tell, from your post, what you have actually already attempted...but I am quite certain, from your post, that the memory leak is definitely not "sorted out".

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the OS 3 times and I think it is now a lot more stable than it used to be.  I log out of my apps. But I still find that the application memory goes down and I need to reboot every few days.  This is a lot better than before when I had to reboot about twice a day.  My phone updated to OS 5 and I am not able to install any older or newer versions...although I haven't tried any other OS 5 variants.  The real problem with the phone is that there isn't enough application memory space provided for the installing of apps and for the daily needs of the phone.  This is a design fault on RIM's part.  No matter what I do there is no way to increase the available application memory space and it continues to go down as apps are updated and for the daily needs of email, whatsapp, bbm etc.  You say it still has the memory leak but from what it was before it is certainly much better now.  All phones go down in application memory free space as you use it because you are constantly storing information.

I don't know if I should go for another blackberry though after this experience.  I would like a phone with a good browser that I can actually do things on and I don't know if any of the OS 7 phones have that capability.  

I think the blackberry Q10 would be the best option at the moment but it is currently £450 for a sim free one  and I was hoping to only spend around £200 on a new phone.  Also I like scrabble games and there aren't the same ones available on the Q10 as on the 9000.  I might have to wait a while until prices come down..hope my 9000 will last for another year 

Hall of Famer II

[ Edited ]

boldlygo wrote:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the OS 3 times and I think it is now a lot more stable than it used to be.  I log out of my apps. But I still find that the application memory goes down and I need to reboot every few days.  This is a lot better than before when I had to reboot about twice a day.

Yes, that does sound like an improvement indeed. Still not perfect...but of course perfection will never be attained anyway.

boldlygo wrote:

My phone updated to OS 5 and I am not able to install any older or newer versions...although I haven't tried any other OS 5 variants.

I don't understand that. If you can no longer install any older or newer versions, how would you even be able to try other variants? Unless, by "versions", you mean the total OS5 family...if so, then you definitely should try variants within OS5, seeking the latest version possible...the OS went through some significant adjustments in the OS5 days and many versions were problematic.

boldlygo wrote:

The real problem with the phone is that there isn't enough application memory space provided for the installing of apps and for the daily needs of the phone.  This is a design fault on RIM's part.  No matter what I do there is no way to increase the available application memory space and it continues to go down as apps are updated and for the daily needs of email, whatsapp, bbm etc.

Ahhhh...well that is a totally different problem than the memory leak. I'm not sure about your desire to assign "fault" however...when anything is manufactured, there comes a point when the design must be fixed with no further adjustments. When that happens, all specifications are then locked and cannot be changed (doing so would result in a new model).

AppMemory is one of those fixed items...it is designed at a level that, at the time the decision is made, is thought to be best. Like so many things in life however, it often turns out to be inadequate. There is an old joke:

• Q - How much memory do you need?
  • A - More!

You can substitute many things for "memory" and the result remains the same.

The trick on a BB (indeed, all such devices) is to find the combination of OS version, OS options (hopefully you've left off the optional items when you load your OS), and apps that fits the need of the user while not over-taxing the device capacities. With "older" devices, it is much more tricky to find that satisfactory combination than with newer devices (which, naturally, will have higher capacities).

boldlygo wrote:

You say it still has the memory leak but from what it was before it is certainly much better now.  All phones go down in application memory free space as you use it because you are constantly storing information.

True...to a point. But, the data that is stored in AppMemory is relatively small in size and typically does not, in and of itself, cause issues, unless one is running totally "on the edge" (e.g., after a reboot, AppMemory is already so very low that there's just no room for things to function correctly). From what you describe, I doubt that it's data that is the cause of your issues...more likely a badly behaving OS or app that is leaking memory at a high rate.

boldlygo wrote:

I don't know if I should go for another blackberry though after this experience.  I would like a phone with a good browser that I can actually do things on and I don't know if any of the OS 7 phones have that capability.  

OS7 was a tremendous improvement from OS5 IMHO. A tremendous change as well...many folks hated OS7 and wanted ways to go back to OS5. Each individual comes into these situations with their own levels of tolerance and requirements. The best thing for you to do is find an OS7 device to try out those functions you require. I can't tell you if, for what you require, the OS7 browser is "good" or not (since "good" can only be defined by you).

boldlygo wrote:

I think the blackberry Q10 would be the best option at the moment but it is currently £450 for a sim free one  and I was hoping to only spend around £200 on a new phone.  Also I like scrabble games and there aren't the same ones available on the Q10 as on the 9000.  I might have to wait a while until prices come down..hope my 9000 will last for another year 

BB10 devices are a completely different experience than any prior BB device. The biggest thing to expect is that it will be different...do not expect anything to work the same as before. Indeed, there is not even BIS with BB10.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

I finally decided to go for the bold 9900 as i read that there are a lot of problems and bugs with the Q10 and I can't wait for it to be sorted out or reduce in price.  Got a great deal on a brand new 9900 on Amazon and grabbed it.  Its got a 6 months seller warranty (then I will have to deal direct with blackberry) which should give me enough time to see if anything is wrong with it.  I am so ready for a new phone and can't wait for it to arrive. I've already ordered my extended battery as well and screen protectors....lol...can't find a case that fits over the extended battery back i'll be using though...if anyone knows where I can get one please let me know.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackberry-Extended-Capacity-3500mah-Battery/dp/B0064CY1PI/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UT...

Hall of Famer II

[ Edited ]

boldlygo wrote:

Its got a 6 months seller warranty (then I will have to deal direct with blackberry)

Please understand that BlackBerry services nothing directly, including warranty. Warranty is ALWAYS a contract between buyer and seller...BlackBerry will extend their 1-year Manufacturers Warranty through the authorized seller channel, but the direct seller remains responsible for servicing of that warranty, and can send things up to BlackBerry if necessary. But the end user does not have access to any direct-to-BlackBerry channel for any warranty service whatsoever. In some regions, there are Service Centers that provide warranty service (as opposed to the direct seller).

From what you say, if I had to predict, I'd say that you have a 6-month warranty...and nothing more.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Actually that is not true.  Blackberry does cover the end user during the 12 month warranty period.  The seller is actually being very generous in offering to deal with me directly for 6 months

http://uk.blackberry.com/content/dam/blackBerry/pdf/legal/europeMiddleEastAfrica/english/Handheld_Li...

Hall of Famer II

[ Edited ]

IF you are the "original end-user" and the direct-to-you seller was an authorized reseller, then indeed you would have the 1-year warranty. But, if either of those are not true, then the statement of "This Limited Warranty is not transferable" would come into play. Lastly, the statement of "Please consult your BlackBerry Handheld User’s Guide for instructions on how to obtain customer support for your BlackBerry Hardware" will continue to hold true...hopefully, when you receive it, it will contain adequate instructions for you.

All warranty that I've ever known of is always serviced by the immediate seller, an authorized service center, or the mobile service provider...never directly by BlackBerry. It very well could be different for you, but you won't know until 6 months down the road.

Good luck!

PS -- let me just add that I honestly hope that you are right...but I just don't want you to be completely surprised, in 6 months, if you cannot obtain any warranty service.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Ok thanks.  I will check once i've actually received the phone to see who is responsible for the last 6 months of the warranty period.

I think if the phone is defective I will know within the first few weeks.  My bold 9000 unstable OS and memory leak was evident right from the start and I was able to deal with it within the first 4 months. And that was because I was new to smart phones and that was my first blackberry so I was doing a lot of research and learning.  Now that I am more experienced with blackberries and know what to look out for I should be able to spot any defects straight away.

Contributor

I've had my new bold 9900 2 days now and it is amazing!! I know I made the right decision.  It is so familiar with great new features and I love the touch screen.

I've checked with the seller and he says sorry that he made a mistake and that he does provide the full 12 months warranty.  This is great.  I can now enjoy the phone without worrying that I'm going to be left stranded if something goes wrong. The phone appears to be fine and I haven't picked up on anything that appears to be amiss as of yet.  I have taken all the necessary precautions like switching to 2G, dimming backlight, turning off battery monitor etc.  I used an extended battery on my 9000 but the 9900 is such a beautiful device to hold and am not sure now that i want to spoil its beauty by having its back sticking out.  So I may return the extended battery which is on its way and get a standard higher capacity battery instead so it can keep its slimline look.