Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
sweetheartmm
My Device: Bold

File copied

Hi mates!  Kindly help me please.  I've transferred a file (phone numbers) from my bb bold to the laptop then copied from laptop to bb curve where it originally came from.  The file was successfully copied but cannot find in the bb curve now.  How to find and read it?  Please advise.  Cheers.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: File copied

Hello,

Well, that would depend on what you actually transferred. An XLS file? A DOC file? An import to the Contacts app? Some other method? Details from you will help us to help you.

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
sweetheartmm

Hi sdgardne. Thanks much for quick reply. Sorry it's .bbb. BlackBerry backup. My apology.

Cheers
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ah, so with that file, you don't actually "transfer the file"...rather, you use the Desktop Software to backup to your computer, which creates on your computer the BBB file:

• KB12487 How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

Then, you again use the Desktop Software, and perform a restore from the computer to the BB, using the BBB file as the source of the restore:

• KB10339 How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file

So, with that, can you now confirm that you did those processes? And if not, what processes you actually carried out?

Thanks and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
sweetheartmm

Thanks much sdgardne. I'll do that today. No process carried out yet. Will let you know if my problem has been solved. Cheers
New Contributor
sweetheartmm

Hi sdgardne, thanks again. Re above concern, I've done all the processes. Used Blackberry Desktop Software and back up file and created BBB file in the computer. Then again using the Desktop Software, restored the .bbb file from the computer to the BB curve phone. Successfully restored in media card file BUT cannot open it. Please advise how to open and read restored file in media card. Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks very much indeed.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I am lost...from those processes, I've no idea how you've ended up with some file on your media card. What file? What is it? how about we go back to the beginning and try to get an understanding of exactly what you are attempting to accomplish...for I fear that we do not actually understand that.

From what you said, I thought you had two BBs, and you wanted to transfer only the Contact items from one to the other. To do so, you'd use the Backup on the source BB, and the Restore on the destination BB, but you'd also want to do that as a selective process of only the Contacts database rather than a full backup/restore.

But again, if you'd done that process, there's nothing that would have wound up on your media card...so I remain lost. Can you help me to help you?

Thanks!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
sweetheartmm

Sorry for the confusion. My apologies. From the beginning. I gave my old BB curve to a friend, then copied all files from that BB curve to her laptop and copied also to my BB bold thinking I can retrieve it from the laptop or from the BB bold later but cannot. Then erased all files from that BB curve. Now I badly need to retrieve some phone numbers from that copied file. We can see the file in the laptop desktop but adobe reader cannot open it. Also we can see the file in the BB curve application all files icon but cannot open it. So I then followed the processes you sent me KB12487 and KB10339. It restored the BBB file to the BB curve but still cannot open the file. The BB curve shows it is in media card. So how can we retrieve or open the restored file to get the phone numbers needed? Cheers
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

OK...I'm going to go in small bits here, because something is not correct with the actual basis of what you are attempting, if I am understanding you correctly...for there is no file to open, in the process I've given you. So one step at a time now...

• BB that is the source of Data = Curve
  • BB that is the intended target of Data = Bold
  • Desired data = Contacts

I think that's at least correct, as far as a starting point. But...

sweetheartmm wrote:
then copied all files from that BB curve to her laptop and copied also to my BB bold thinking I can retrieve it from the laptop or from the BB bold later but cannot.

Exactly what files did you copy? If you did anything OTHER THAN the backup process I gave you, then that file would never have contained the contact items, and is therefore useless to the current desires.

sweetheartmm wrote:
Then erased all files from that BB curve.

Again, exactly what did you erase, and how did you erase them? If you simply deleted files via the file manager, (e.g., XLS, photos, etc.), then you did not touch the Contacts on that device, for they are stored in a different space, not accessible via the File Manager. But, if you performed any sort of WIPE, then you likely did wipe out the contacts from that BB (an action which cannot be undone...and recovery depends on a separate source of restore).

sweetheartmm wrote:
Now I badly need to retrieve some phone numbers from that copied file. We can see the file in the laptop desktop but adobe reader cannot open it.

So, this would be the BBB file of which we earlier discussed? If so, then no normal app on the PC can open it, as it is proprietary and natively usable solely as the source of restore (via the procedures I've earlier given you).

Further, if this is a BBB file, was it created from the Curve? If so, then you indeed did do a backup, and should be able to now do a restore to the Bold, using this file as the restore source (per the procedures I've earlier given to you).

sweetheartmm wrote:
Also we can see the file in the BB curve application all files icon but cannot open it.

This I do not understand...the BBB file resides on the laptop, so I do not understand how you can "see" it from the Curve at all. Further, to be of any use, the BBB file must reside on the computer, not the BB device.

sweetheartmm wrote:
So I then followed the processes you sent me KB12487 and KB10339. It restored the BBB file to the BB curve but still cannot open the file.

Here again, the location of the BBB file is only useful on the computer...the BBB file, located on a BB, is useless (and, as you experienced, cannot be opened on the device...for that is not how it can be used).

Further, if you did both a backup and restore from and back to the Curve, how is this accomplishing moving the Contact data to the Bold?

sweetheartmm wrote:
The BB curve shows it is in media card.

Still not relevant...having the BBB file on the BB is of no use at all.

sweetheartmm wrote:
So how can we retrieve or open the restored file to get the phone numbers needed? Cheers

IF the contact items still reside on the Curve (you need to look at the Contacts app on the Curve to determine this), and IF you backed them up to that BBB file, then you can use that BBB file (residing on the PC, not on any BB), as the source of restore to the Bold. You'd want to do a selective restore of only the Contacts database, so as to not mess up anything else on the Bold.

On the other hand, if you did not get a good backup of the Curve to the BBB file, then you'd first want to take a new backup from the Curve, creating a new BBB file (still on the PC), that you will then use as the source of selective restore to the Bold.

On the third hand (3 hands?!?!?), if you did perform a WIPE of the Curve before taking any backup, then you have no Contacts left on the Curve, and have no source of that data, and it is gone forever.

Again -- the location of the BBB file must be ONLY on a computer to be of any use. Locating the BBB file onto the BB is useless. Further, only the Desktop Software can be used to create a new backup or restore (from an existing BBB file)...no other use of the BBB file exists.

So, does that help you proceed now?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
sweetheartmm

Sorry again. I am not good in computer technology. Never mind this BB bold it's not important in this case anymore. What I did in the beginning is just to plug in the BB curve on the laptop and copied all the files from the BB curve to the desktop (not the back up process) then delete all the files in the drive e: where BB curve was. So the BB curve was emptied when I gave it to my friend. Then file copied is on her laptop (desktop) After a week I plug in the BB curve to drive E and copied that file from the laptop (desktop) to her BB curve. Then that is only when I did the back up process using BB Desktop Software.