Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
Accepted Solution

Formatting on the Bold

[ Edited ]

I wish to get my wife a Bold, she likes the look feel size of the Curve (I have one) but would like to have the facility to format Word/Excel/Powerpoint, one of the additional features of the Bold over the Curve. However, I am receiving confusing advice on its ability to format . At the mobile shops I get the predictable blank face, they don't even know it does format these application, or I get other typical lack of knowledge reactions! I played with a demo Bold in a Vodafone shop and tried to open the Word application, it told me that it does not have it as it's a standard edition on this device, need the premium edition! Same for Excel and Powerpoint. What the bloomin' eck does this mean? The "Help" guy in the shop said "Oh, mmmmm, don't know what this means, this demo model is just out of the box as you would get if you got one from us. I'll ask the blackberry rep when she comes in next week!!!!"

So, can anyone explain whether the Bold, as it comes to a normal customer, has the formatting ability? Would also like to know, assuming it does have it, how "good" is it? I can't believe it has everything that comes with them on MS Office on a pc, so I assume they are cutdown versions that enable common tasks. I would particularly like to know how usable and effective it is with Powerpoint presentations.

Thanks in anticipation

Message Edited by rscottmail on 10-21-2008 11:46 AM
Solutions: 6,152
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Formatting on the Bold

1. Actually, DocumentsToGo is available on the Curve also, when upgraded to OS 4.5.

2. Say, in WordToGo, formatting (bold, etc.) is available in the Premium edition, not the standard edition). The standard edition will read from email attachments, open from your Media Card, and view and edit and save documents. Additional page and paragraph formatting is available in the Premium Edition, I think $69.00 USD.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks JS, So it has some features (you said: view and edit and save documents), the question is, is what the Standard edition provides enough at present?  I've found the Dataviz site and pdf with a comparison, it helps a little, but still isn't fully informative, I guess the only way to find out is to get hold of a Bold and play with it.

However, you mention that "Documents to Go" comes with OS 4.5, then the best solution will be to get wife a Curve, as she likes it better than the Bold anyway, and upgrade it. This leads to other questions about whether this is a risky thing or not, and whether my service provider here in the UK supports it when the download goes wrong or problems arise (this seems to be common judging by the problems reported on forums), and, why doesn't a 8310 come with 4.5 in the first place now that it is fully relaeased. These things are best on a new thread so I will declare this one closed, after you make any appropriate comments, or not, as the case maybe!

Solutions: 6,152
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

there is nothing risky about upgrading to OS 4.5, backup your device fully as you should anyway, first.

The few problems you notice on the various forums are those who have problems, and some do, most do because of not following the instructions completely. It is much less common for those who have upgraded to post that "all is well".

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks JS, I'll close this and start a new one to ask about getting 4.5 from my provider, O2 in the UK, who don't appear on the worldwide list, I cannot find out how to get it from Blackberry because of this!