Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

GPS Problems

Maybe its just me but I have My GPS setting switched on all the time, yet when I use such things as Google Maps or Poynt, the phone seems to take forever to locate a signal.

I have checked the GPS options and even tried to get it to just locate a signal from there but it takes forever.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what i can do if anything to solve this.

If i help solve your problem, Click that button to the right of the screen.

Thank you very much.

Rob
Regular Contributor

Re: GPS Problems

I have the same problem even when I have the phone laying on the dash of my car. I will be interested to see if there is a resoultion. Sorry no help here.
New Contributor
My Device: BB Bold 9000

is well, this being my first ever post, i thought i might shed a bit of light on the matter. i have searched the net regarding the GPS issues, as my BB Bold did not react to a GPS signal at first. all though i dont have the BIS connection as of yet, i still figured that the internal GPS would work non the less. i tried it out again, after many attempts, i finally found a satellite and got a good strong connection going, the only issue was that because i dont have BIS, i cant get the maps going, which is pretty lame. but any ways, the GPS works, just depends on where you are for a good signal. For those of you in abu dhabi, you can keep trying, but getting a signal there is near impossible. but for those in dubai, its quite easy...

any ways, not sure if that helped any thing at all, just thought id put my two cents in to equation.

cheers!

Regular Contributor

Ok now my GPS just will not work at all.

I have checked with my friends BB and his obtains a signal within a min. Mine will not at all...

Do people agree that a repair is needed?

Thank you very much.

Rob
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8300

Hi,

Sorry, no l I dont agree (yet! :smileyhappy: )

First, what OS does your friend have and what OS do you have (Options - About - third line down v4.xx.xx.xxx)

What Handset Model do you and your friend BOTH have (both Bold's?)

What carriers are you both with?

Are you both BES or BIS or either?

Assuming the IT policy wasnt changed on you, or something similar, have you done an OS reload?

Have you gone to Options - Advanced options - GPS and is GPS enabled and have you tried getting the GPS signal from here? Does it come up with a Latitude and Longtitude (sp?)?

Waiting for your replies...

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
Regular Contributor

Right sorry for the delay in answering.

I am running a bold on the T-mobile network using v4.6.0.291 which i upgraded to the other day but thats not the problem as its not been working for a few weeks before I uploaded. Its running on the BIS.

I havent completed a full OS reload. How would i complete that?

I have gone to the GPS menu and tried to force a connection - no joy - it doesn't find a signal

Thank you very much.

Rob
Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Basic GPS (not BB GPS, just standard GPS)  requires line of sight access to at least 5 satellites for GPS to work.

Trying GPS in a building wont work, not even a tin shed. You must be standing outside for GPS to work. And central city with high-rises doesnt work either as the buildings block line of sight!

In a car, the line of site is stopped by the cars roof, which is why they request to install it on the dashboard (inbuilt GPS has the external aerial or other similar connection).

Thus the GPS can get a minimum of 4 satellites and it works. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gps) (BB requires 5)

Can you go into the street and try getting the GPS (I try at my train station)

Unfortunately most people think that GPS is gathered from the mobiel network, which is completely incorrect!

Message Edited by OzBBerry42 on 08-12-2009 10:41 AM

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I was aware of the gps info u gave and I have stood in different locations with clear sky but it doesn't work. Any more ideas or try complete wipe of phone. How would I do that if needed?

Thank you very much.

Rob
Forums Advisor III

HI,

Do you get an error on the handset?

Does it find any satellites? How many?

Can you stand next to someone else with a BB (in your company?)? Do they get a GPS location?

PS: You are using Options - Advanced Options - GPS, arent you?

If someone else DOES work in your location, then do an OS reload first.

If it still doesnt work then the GPS chip is faulty and a devcie repair wil be required.

Regular Contributor

Hi, I get no error message, it just doesnt find a sat at all.

and yes I am using the advanced setting.

What will i need to do to complete a OS reload?

Thank you very much.

Rob