Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
My Device: Bold - 9000

Garbled Email Sent By Blackberry Bold

Hi, I just got my blackberry bold, I'm so glad that it supports other languages, but when I send email from my blackberry to my dad, using chinese input (simplifield pinyin), it turn out  lot of question marks >????????< instead of Chinese characters at the receiver's end. I disable HTML email, changed my data coding to UCS2, and it still sending question marks.

I was using Hotmail, and when I use Gmail it turn out to be fine, anyone can explain this? or any setting could make Hotmail work on the Bold? Many Thanks.

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Garbled Email Sent By Blackberry Bold

Hi, I have exact the same problem with using hotmail to send chinese text and do not find a solution. Have you got the problem resolved? This problem only happens with BB 9000.

New Contributor

oh yeah !

Also with BB 8900, I found this issue 2 weeks ago, i spent over 3 hrs trying to fix it but same issue, T- mobile did not know what to do but they gave me a new BB 8900 and i am still having the same issue. worked with RIM they could not help and said to contact hotmail, i called hotmail and they seems to have a hard time understanding the issue.

look her for more info.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8900-series-discussion-javelin/183576-bb-8900-hotmail-issue-...

also see below:

> From:
> To: MOBIL.BRWS.WW.00.EN.SYK.MNL.TS.T02.WLV.00.EM@css.one.microsoft.com
> Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 04:06:56 +0000
> Subject: Re: SRX1098013390ID - Windows Live Mobile:I am not sure
>
> Thank you for the follow up.
>
> This issue is not related to a specific contact but it is for any contacts even you, if you look at the previous email items you will notice that the " From " line is with question marks because I amusing my blackberry to reply to your messages which my account is hotmail and the from line has an Arabic text.
>
> This issue is happening only with hotmail and specifically when I compose or reply a message to anyone via my BB hotmail account  (message icon ) or when I login to hotmail from my BB to compose a new message or just do a reply.
> The end user is receiving my Arabic email text when I send an email item from gmail and yahoo BB email accounts ( from the message icon or from the website via BB )  also if I use my computer to send him an Arabic email text, the recipient will receive my Arabic text without any question marks.
> So if I use my blackberry device to reply or compose a new message using my hotmail message icon or logging into hotmail.com via my BB,the end user will receive my Arabic text as question marks.
> Also, this issue is not happening with the Arabic language but with any character that is not English (abcdef...).I have tested Hebrew and Chinese and all were doing the same thing.
> The end user will receive a question marks whether this end use is using BB ( multi language supported or a computer )I used to have a BB 8120 which allowed me only to read Arabic and Hebrews but I can not type in Arabic or Hebrew ( it is not supported )because the input language is not an option, so I used to copy and paste via my hotmail BB icon ( message icon ) or via logging to hotmail from my BB with no issues.
> The issue is only happening with my new BB 8900, when I submitted this ticket my BB was about 10 hours old and I said that I am waiting for T-Mobile to send me a new BB and now I am using the new BB 8900 that T-Mobile sent me last week, but I am still having the same issue.
> Per RIM, this is not a BB nor t mobile issue but a hotmail issue as other accounts like yahoo and gmail are working fine with Arabic via the message icon or when logging into their websites to compose a new message or just do a reply.
>
> Could it be the outbound server is not updated with the Multilanguage software.
>
> I don't have an issue with the Arabic inbound email messages but it is only my outbound Arabic email texts are having an issues,the end user receive them in question marks.
>
> I think this issue will require a tire 3 attention, it is very important that you have a BB 8900 with an Arabic or any input language( no English characters ) to test and check the software encoding as well the outbound settings.
>
> Again, if you want to troubleshot this over the phone, let me know and I will be glade to spend hours with you just to solve this issue. I believe this issue is not only with me, it is an issue for everyone who is using the USA >> T- Mobile >> BB 8900 >> hotmail account >>receiving question marks by the end user > when typing at Arabic or any characters that are not English, like Hebrews and Chinese.
> Thank you again
> ----------------------------------
> Sent via BlackBerry
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Microsoft Customer Support <MOBIL.BRWS.WW.00.EN.SYK.MNL.TS.T02.WLV.00.EM@css.one.microsoft.com>
>
> Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 01:44:59
> To: <>
> Subject: RE: SRX1098013390ID - Windows Live Mobile:I am not sure
>
>
> Hello ,
>
> My name is Beth and this is a follow-up on your issue about your e-mail on your device.  I know how important it is to you to resolve the issue.
>  
> Please confirm if specific contacts are having this issue or all your contacts.  I believe you are having this issue on your Blackberry device.  Please try other mobile device and let us know if you are able to reproduce the issue.  Please specify the mobile device you will use to test the issue.
>  
> Thank you for using Microsoft Mobile.  We look forward to hearing from you soon and resolving your issue.
>  
> Sincerely,
>  
> Beth
> Subject Matter Expert
> Microsoft Mobile Support
>
> ----------------
>
>
>
> --- Original Message ---
> From : MOBIL.BRWS.WW.00.EN.SYK.MNL.TS.T02.WLV.00.EM
> Sent : Friday, April 03, 2009 2:27:01 AM UTC
> To : "??? ????? ??? ????? "
> Subject : RE: SRX1098013390ID - Windows Live Mobile:I am not sure
>
>
>
>
> Hello ,
>
> My name is Beth and I am a Subject Matter Expert within Microsoft Mobile Support.  I understand that you have an issue with your e-mail on your device.  I know how inconvenient this can be.
>  
> To help you with the issue, please visit the link below:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943595 <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943595>
>  
> Thank you for using Microsoft Mobile.  Please feel free to write to us again if you have other concerns with Microsoft Mobile service and we will assist you.
>  
> Sincerely,
>  
> Beth
> Subject Matter Expert
> Microsoft Mobile Support
>
> ----------------
>
>
>
> From : "??? ????? ??? ????? "
> Sent : Wednesday, April 01, 2009 12:36:05 PM UTC
> To : "Microsoft Customer Support "
> Subject : Re: SRX1098013390ID - Windows Live Mobile:I am not sure
>
> Hello,
>
> I just want to let you know that I have received my new BB 8900 but I am still having the same issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> ----------------------------------
> Sent via BlackBerry
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Microsoft Customer Support <MOBIL.BRWS.WW.00.EN.SYK.MNL.TS.T01.WLV.00.EM@css.one.microsoft.com>
>
> Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:43:30
> To: <>
> Subject: RE: SRX1098013390ID - Windows Live Mobile:I am not sure
>
>
> Hello ,
>
> Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Mobile Support Team. My name is Fritz, and I will be helping you with this incident. I understand you have issues with your Windows Live Hotmail account on your Blackberry curve 8900. I apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you.
>
> We believe that your issue requires additional investigation and have escalated the incident to our senior support team. We expect to have a response from them within the next 72 hrs. We will then immediately forward that information to you.
>
> While we work to resolve your issue, we also encourage you to visit the Microsoft Mobile Web site, http://mobile.live.com <http://mobile.live.com/> , for more information about using this service.
>
> You are a valued Windows Live consumer, and we look forward to giving you consistent, timely, and effective service. If you have other Microsoft Mobile questions, please contact us through the support links page at http://support.live.com  <http://support.live.com/> .
>
>
> Sincerely,
>  
> FritzMicrosoft Mobile Support
>
> ----------------
>
>
>
> From :
> Sent : Monday, March 30, 2009 12:14:53 AM UTC
> To : 36ac0e76-f135-412b-9f8c-67cc9bd7c7d7
> Subject : Windows Live Mobile:I am not sure
>
> Service:
>    Windows Live Mobile
>
> What type of problem do you have?
> I am not sure [I am not sure]
>
> Full name:
>    Mohammed
>
> The e-mail address for us to send a response:
>    abo_taimiya@hotmail.com
>
> Primary e-mail address/member ID associated with the account you are inquiring about:
>    abo_taimiya@hotmail.com
>
> Be specific when describing your problem. The details that you include enable us to promptly send you the most likely solution to your issue.
>    I have purchased a Blackberry curve 8900 from T mobile. It is a Multilanguage supported, it is V4.6.1.114 and platform is 4.2.0.76.
>
> the issue I am having is only with hotmail, it is either when I use my hotmail email icon on my BB or when I log into the hotmail site from my blackberry, also it is whether I am replying or composing a new message.
>
>
> When I type in Arabic to reply or to compose a new message, using my hotmail email icon or logging to the website from my BB the end user will receive my Arabic text as a question marks, like this : "??? ???????? "
>
> I can receive Arabic text to my hotmail email icon or when I logging to the site.
> I tried using a different languages and I found out that any language that does not use the English characters will have the same above issue when sending an email using the hotmail email icon or logging to hotmail from their BB.
> I tried Hebrew and Chinese and I was so surprised that I got the same issue.
>
> The above issue was not happening when I was using my BB 8120, I used to copy and paste when composing a new message or replying to an email over my hotmail email icon or when I log into hotmail from my BB but why it is happening with BB 8900.
>
> I spent over 5 hrs with t- mobile and RIM trying to fix this issue but RIM believes that this is a hotmail issue and they said we don't have a fix and t-mobile said the end user should receive your Arabic text if the end user device ( pc or BB ) is Arabic supported ( which they are and I have tested with my own BB and PC ) but we will replace your phone ( my 8900 is only 3 hrs old ! )
>
> Also I spent over 3 hrs of troubleshooting the issue but no hope.
>
>
> Since this BB is a Multilanguage, I can have my os Arabic and same issue.
> I have 4 Gmail accounts and I am not having any issues with them, I can receive and send Arabic also the end use receives my Arabic text.
> I have no issues with live message, I can send and receive Arabic.
>
> It is only hotmail account and it is only when I send an email from hotmail site from my BB or when using the hotmail email icon on my BB, the end use will receive the question marks and not my Arabic text also I found out that other characters that are not English will have the same issue.
>
> Maybe an issue with the hotmail outbound encoding settings form the server end that is not resolving the Arabic text to the end users !!
>
> Any idea ! I am ready to any troubleshooting also people who uses other languages ( not English characters ) please try the above.
>
>
> What type of device do you have?
>    Windows Smartphone [Windows Smartphone]
>
> Who is the manufacturer of your device?
>    Other [Other]
>
> What type of subscription to Windows Live Mobile do you have?
>    I am not sure [I am not sure]
>
> How did you reach us?
>    Referred by carrier [Referred by carrier]
>
> Who is your carrier/service provider?
>    T mobile
>
>
>
> Which operating system are you using?Windows XP: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; GTB5; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)
>
> Which browser are you using: IE6
>
> Location: en-us - English (United States)
>
> Type of Support: E-mail Support
>
> Browser Default Language: en-us

New Contributor

FYI:

To contact hotmail rg: this issue, use this form:

https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmobile&ct=eformts

we have to speak out so they push an update to the software.

thank you,

My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Etisalat

you can find the solution for your Issue in this site:

http://www.frombasil.com/2010/02/blog-post.html

enjoy sending arabic emails from your hotmail account with your BlackBerry

this Arabic Site with Translation in the same page.

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900 & Mini Bold 9700
My Carrier: STC

I followed the steps in the link u sent (http://www.frombasil.com/2010/02/blog-post.html#comment-form) but still, my problem hasn't been resolved when sending Arabic text from Hotmail (with Gmail it works perfectly. I truly believe that the issue is with Hotmail's server and not a problem with our devices). I have the mini bold 9700.

So has anyone tried the steps in that link above and worked so far?

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Etisalat - UAE

Any update on this?

still i have the same problem

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Guys here's the solution:

1- go to your Browser
2- click in the Blackberry icon
3- click Options
4- click in Browser Configuration
5- go to Browser Identification
6- change it from BalckBerry to Internet Explorer
7- Save the changes when you will do escape button
8- then just delete your hotmail account by going to E-mail Settings from Setup Folder, after that add it again.
9- If you want .....Go from step 1 to step 5 and change it to BlackBerry

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Q10
My Carrier: Kyivstar

[ Edited ]

By default BIS setup hotmail account as an Exchange account. You can setup hotmail account as a pop3 account (in this case BIS uses UTF-8 encoding)

1. Go to set up - Email Accounts - Internet Mail Account

2. Delete existing hotmail account (if it exists)

3. "Set up another email account" - "Other" (do not choose "Microsoft Live", hotmail etc)

4. Input unreal email address in an unreal domain, for example, xx@jj.qq

5. Input something in the password field (for expample, "xx") and press "Continue"

6.After you recieve an error message "Invalid email address or password. Verify your email address..." press OK

7.Press "I will provide the settings"

8. Select an email type: "POP/IMAP"

9. Email address: type your real hotmail address

10. Password: type your real hotmail password

11. Email server: pop3.live.com

12. User name: type your real hotmail address

13. Type "continue"

14. Uncheck "Contacts" mark in the Syncronization optians.

15. That's all