Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
Redskip
Accepted Solution

Give up on Roxio software? Is Mass Storage the best method to transfer media files?

Should I give up on the Roxio software and just rely on the Mass Storage method to transfer media files?

I have repeatedly reinstalled the software but each time I try and use the Roxio Media Manager the CPU Usage on my PC max's out at 100% and dies. Once only it worked - and as posted here by someone else, it did look pretty good - but every other time it just crashes.

Having now read extensively through this site and several others, it does appear there are serious issues with Roxio. So my question to those of you with more BB9000 time under your belts: do I persevere with Roxio or give up and just rely on Mass Storage? It doesn't look pretty but I have moved ringtones, video and photographs across smoothly.

Am I losing out on any compression features in Roxio that I don't get in Mass Storage? If not, then my inclination is going to be to drop Roxio and stick with Mass Storage until they either fix the bugs or I see on this site of a better way.  

Please use plain text.
rlopez13

Re: Give up on Roxio software? Is Mass Storage the best method to transfer media files?

I have the same issue so I would be very interested in hearing from someone that has a resolution.  Everything I launch the Roxio Media Manager it takes up all resources on my PC. 
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Give up on Roxio software? Is Mass Storage the best method to transfer media files?

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I prefer the "drag and drop" method through Windows.

Quick, neat, efficient and without program overhead  or restrictions.

As you say it's not "elegant" but it works!

Having said that, have you taken a look at the Media Sync program?

It's more stable then Roxio and has some very nice

features for playlists. I have attached a link to the download and demo.

The program will run as a standalone.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please remember to resolve your thread.

Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks 

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/media/mediasync.jsp
Message Edited by Bifocals on 12-23-2008 02:10 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
rlopez13

Thank you!  It is not fancy but it works.  I appreciate your help.  Rlopez13
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Redskip

Thanks Bifocals. I have used the MediaSync before and yes you are right, it does work fine for music. I was hoping to use the Roxio for transferring (and compressing) picture files from high resolution digital pictures to small files just for occasional viewing on the BlackBerry. Drag and drop works but I can't copy over many pictures. Not sure if this is a compression issue or if I just need a bigger memory card? I'll keep experimenting. Hopefully BB/Roxio will get enough complaints to sort it out...

Thanks for the reply. Happy '09.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Happy New Year to you as well!

Please take a second and resolve the thread, OK?

Thanks,

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Redskip

Resolved in terms of thanks for your help and confirming my suspicion:- that Roxio is rubbish!

Pretty **bleep** unsatisfactory outcome on the other hand, that one of RIM's flagship models comes with flawed software! Oh well, Bill 1 - RIM 0.

Anyone else reading this thread: I haven't seen a good word about Roxio so far other than it looks good (when you can open it!). They must have chosen it for a reason though, so I guess stick with mass storage/windows method for now and keep an eye on this forum for either a bug fix or an alternative solution.

Great phone though so stick with it. I just ordered a SanDisk 16GB MicroSD card for £36 that will hopefully resolve space issue.  All the best.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]

Resolved. You found that the program was worthless to you, and resolved not to use it.

Other users won't waste time on a dead thread.

New users will search the RESOLVED threads first, just as you did.

That was my meaning.

Bifocals

Message Edited by Bifocals on 12-26-2008 07:36 AM

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Redskip

Understood Bifocals. And thanks again for your help.

Come on RIM/Roxio. Get it sorted out please.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BCMike
My Carrier: Rogers

I exclusively use Windows file manager to sync all files to the berry.  Roxio is as lame as itunes and all their ilk.  As an album-based listener, I much prefer to use my own folder-based filing system and Mobiola xPlayer for tunes.

Please use plain text.