Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
hiighpriestess
My Device: Not Specified

Glitchy calls, constant hanging, self-restarting, problems with desktop manager detection

I've had my bold for about 4 months, and have been loving it so far- but recently, probably due to a couple of light falls, it's been giving me hell. (Sorry in advance if I don't sound tech-savvy, I'm a smart-phone noob, this is my first :smileysad: )

1: When I receive calls, the screen alerts me with the caller and number, but once I pick up, it goes back to my home screen although I'm conversing with the caller, and only when I press the red button does it flash the call details (such as duration etc) for a moment, before again returning to the main screen. This happens at least once a day- doesn't really affect me much, but kind of bugs me that my phone is so glitchy :smileysad:

2: Oftentimes my bold hangs up on my caller mid-call for no reason, and sometimes blanks out, with either side of the conversation not being able to hear anything.

3: My bold very often hangs on me even when I'm only looking at pictures or texts, and just shows the ticking clock in the middle of the screen. It hardly ever fixes itself, and the only way to get it back to normal is to do a hard reset. (taking out the battery while it's still on)

4: It constantly goes blank (off) and the LED glows red and blinks a little, then after about 3 minutes turns itself back on.

5: Worst of all, my desktop manager is extremely buggy, and can only detect my device about once in a blue moon.

There's nothing wrong with the USB connection, I'm very sure, as I can still view and add photos to the device, not the SD card.

The desktop manager is version 4.6.

I have recently managed to back it up,and plan to try a full reset, then restore it with the backup file, but I'm quite worried that any data will be left out, as I have pretty important info under my memos and in my calendar, and contacts might prove hard to retrieve.

Any way to ensure that the backup was successful?

I would send it in for servicing, but as I stay in Singapore, where there is no Blackberry service centre, it would take 3 whole weeks to send it to Canada to repair with no temporary replacement, so I would love to find any other way to solve the problems without having to be without it for almost a month.

Thanks for answering! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Is3ng
My Device: Onyx

Re: Glitchy calls, constant hanging, self-restarting, problems with desktop manager detection

hi,

think you can try downloading the latest DM from blackberry sites n the latest operating system for your bb

and try to upgrade the software

it should fix most of your issues :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
The_Front_Man

Re: Glitchy calls, constant hanging, self-restarting, problems with desktop manager detection

Similar issues for me especially the restarting for no apparent reason and I too bought mine 4 months ago.  They replaced the entire handset for me.  New one works a treat.  Tasmanian based... Australian service centre.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
joecool_c1

Do a back up, Then a clean reload of the device software

To create a backup of your blackberry,
-Connect your device to the computer,
-Open Desktop Manager,
-Go to Backup/Restore,
-Select backup and then save.

To restore go to the same place just click restore and open the saved file from the backup.

If you do not already have the device software downloaded go here http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Scroll to the very bottom, and select your carrier, and download/install the device software.

Open Desktop Manager
-Go to Add/Remove programs
-Settings check mark *Delete all application data And *Erase all currently installed applications.
-Next and run through the process

DO NOT remove the device until the home screen comes on.

If I successfully help you with an issue, thank you for clicking "kudos" in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.