Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
kdj42
My Device: Blackberry bold 9780

Gmail contacts won't synchronise

Hi,

I have a BB Bold 9780 that I've been using for about a year.

For 6 months of the year I was in South Africa, then 6 months in the UK and now back in South Africa.

When I first got the phone I setup a gmail account (gmail_01) on my phone. Was able to send/receive email & synchronise both calendar & contacts.

When I went to the UK, I changed sim cards, but kept the same phone, gmail_01 still worked perfectly.

After returning to South Africa I changed back to the SA sim card. The contacts stopped synchronising.

I did a security wipe and set up gmail_01 again. I can send & receive emails & synchronise the calendar. However the contacts synchronisation says that it is "initializing" but never completes. 

I then set up a second gmail account (gmail_02) on the same phone. Email works, calendar & contacts synchronise.

Next I tried to set up gmail_01 on a different blackberry, same problem, calendar synchronises but not the contacts. I spoke to my service provider in South Africa and after an hour with their data expert we still could not resolve the issue. So it appears the probelm may be on gmails side.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem? My service provider had never seen an issue like this with gmail before.

Thanks for your help

Retired
SmoothRider
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

Re: Gmail contacts won't synchronise

Hello kdj42

Welcome to the forums. 

Sorry to hear about your issue. From within your contacts try doing the below steps to force a sync of the Gmail contacts.

1. Click the BlackBerry menu key > Options > under Contact Lists click the Gmail account > remove the Checkmark from wireless synchronization > click the Back menu key and Save
2. Under Contact Lists click the Gmail account > place a Checkmark in the Wireless Synchronization box > click the Back menu key and Save

Note: The following prompt may appear "Changes made on the handheld while wireless synchronization was turned off might be lost. Continue?" Yes or No. Click Yes

Let us know how you make out with doing the steps above and if you need any other help. 

Have a good day. 

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
kdj42
My Device: Blackberry bold 9780

Re: Gmail contacts won't synchronise

Hi,

I tried what you said,but when it starts synchronising it only says "synchonisation initialised" and never goes any further. Under the options menu in the contacts, where the wireless synchronisation option can be selected or not, it says that the number of entries in the gmail account is 0. However, I know for a fact that it is not zero, but 100+ entries. 

In gmail I exported these contacts as a google.csv file, imported them into another gmail account and managed to syncrhronise that one with my blackberry (number of entries for this account shows 100+ in the contacts options menu).

Is it possible that the problem is on gmail's side? 

Thanks for your input.