01-18-2013 05:21 AM
Very interesting to read this thread as it's almost identical to my own experience with my wife's Bold 9780 when trying to sync Google calendar. I used to use Google Sync which failed somtime in late 2012 so I have now removed that from the phone. Following the forum advice I switched to using BIS and the associated gmail account for the calendar with no success, just the same experience as you describe.
This morning I woke up and had the brainwave of just using the web app for Google calendar and I am happy to say that it is a half decent workaround. I've placed a Calendar bookmark on the Bold start screen and it's kind of usable. You can add new events using the Google quick entry format and you see the events as an agenda style list. There is no way to delete an event that I have found. Kind of wierd but that's how it seems to work. Because you are using the web app syncing to Google is instantaneous because you are modifying your Google calendar database directly.
I also found no way of logging into to BIS Orange (UK) via the web, absolutely unbelievable way to run a company really, no surprise RIM is almost dead. On the other hand the Bold hardware is great and I was hating the idea of having to buy a new Android phone just to solve the problem of shared Google calendars.
So, out of interest, did you ever get any resolution?
01-18-2013 06:39 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums!
Here is the link for logging into Orange UK BIS site.
01-18-2013 06:44 AM
Thanks for the Orange BIS URL. I can see that my email does not make it clear but I did actually get this far but was unable to login at this point. I tried PIN and IMEI approach but it failed in the same way that the thread originator described.
01-18-2013 07:45 AM
01-18-2013 08:58 AM
03-01-2013 10:39 PM
I'm new here and I have had the same problem for a few months and ... I think ... I SOLVED IT ! (In my case).
In short: I noticed in calendar options: Default calendar for new events that Facebook was the option. Even though Facebook had been uninstalled and there was no trace of it in the apps list. (It had been previously restored.)
This Facebook option could not be de-selected so I figured it had remained there by mistake.
So I did backup - then factory reset - then reloaded data WITHOUT CALENDAR data. (Since Google mail is my primary source).
The whole account set-up process was undertaken again - and - NOW IT"S WORKING. Google calendar synchronising both ways as normal. Hurrah !!
I don't know if the Facebook thing was responsible or whether factory reset would have done it.
Good luck. !!!