Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
schojo
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: o2 Germany

Googlemail "read" items don't disappear on mobile (if read elsewhere)

Hello!
Bold 9790 with 7.1 here and a Googlemail account set up.

If i read mails on my desktop computer for example (Mail client set up with IMAP) they don't disappear on my Blackberry so i always have to read them again to get them out of my notification area.

Same goes for facebook btw.

This is pretty annoying behaviour that i'd like to change :/

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
schojo

Re: Googlemail "read" items don't disappear on mobile (if read elsewhere)

it works on my playbook. i have googlemail set up there, too (not the blackberry bridge!) and it removes the new notifcation after i read it online e.g.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Googlemail "read" items don't disappear on mobile (if read elsewhere)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

For email reconciliation, refer:

• KB05133 Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

All reconciliation is between the BB and the email server...so, if for example, your PC email client cannot reconcile these items to the server, then they would remain unread on the server, and hence cannot reconcile as read back to the BB.

Further, an item that is merely read should not disappear from the BB. There are two different reconciliation functions...one for read/unread status and a different one for deleted items. From what you say, I would not expect the items to disappear from your BB, given that all you've done is read them...not deleted them.

I have no idea what you are referring to regarding FB, though...messages from FB? Notifications within FB? Something else. In any event, let's focus on one item at a time...and see if we can clear up your email issues first. So please clarify that, as what you've said is not consistent.

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
schojo

Thanks for the fast reply so far and the kind welcoming w...

Thanks for the fast reply so far and the kind welcoming words!

So here's what i do.

I'm sitting at my desktop computer and an e-mail arrives. I read it via Sparrow (a mac client) and archive it. Meanwhile my playbook and bold notified me that i got a new email, too. After i read and archived it, the playbook deletes the notification, because the mail is not "new" anymore. The bold doesn't do that so it tells me that i still have a new email (which i already read/answered of course). So the question is: Why? :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Re: Thanks for the fast reply so far and the kind welcoming w...

Not being a MAC or Sparrow user, can you expand on exactly what "archived" means? Do you move it to a different folder on your MAC, effectively removing it from the GMail server Inbox?

And, that notification on your PB -- exactly what is that please? The notification area at the top/left of the screen? Or in the Messages list, does the item go from unread (bold) to read (not bold)? Or perhaps both?

Thanks!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
schojo

Sparrow or the MAC don't reallymatter here - i could do the same on the Gmail website. Archiving is a function on Gmail that moves the email from your Inbox to a folder called "All Messages". This can happen to unread mails, too - but i read the mail so it went from a bold title to non-bold.

On the playbook it's just a mailclient for Gmail where i put in my account. It's a notification similar to the OS7.1 where it says how many new mails you have with a number next to it in the upper left corner. This notification disappears when i read the mail elsewhere (online/Mailclient) and the title of the mail changes to non-bold in the messages app, too.

This is the perfect behaviour and i want the Blackberry Bold to act in the same way :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
simply_abhik
My Device: 9300 3G Curve
My Carrier: Tata Docomo

Hi,

Somewhat same thing happens with me too...I normally check my emails in my BB but later when i open my mail in my laptop, i see some emails are shown as read while others remain unread...

but yes, this basically happens with gmail, but not with yahoomail...in yahoomail, if i read it in my BB, it shows read when i open yahoomail in my laptop...

with regards
simply abhik...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click "Accept as Solution" if your issue has been solved and to give thanks/appreciation, click thumbs up... :Yes:
For BB OS update: http://us.blackberry.com/software/smartphones/update.html
BB Simulators: http://us.blackberry.com/sites/developers/resources/simulators.html
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

schojo wrote:

Sparrow or the MAC don't reallymatter here - i could do the same on the Gmail website. Archiving is a function on Gmail that moves the email from your Inbox to a folder called "All Messages". This can happen to unread mails, too - but i read the mail so it went from a bold title to non-bold.

OK...I don't use the "Archive" function of Gmail, so was not familiar with your terminology. GMail also doesn't technically use separate containers for different things. Everything is, on the server, in one big container, with labels or tags used to segregate things...sometimes, BIS cannot distinguish between different things in this regard.

schojo wrote:

On the playbook it's just a mailclient for Gmail where i put in my account. It's a notification similar to the OS7.1 where it says how many new mails you have with a number next to it in the upper left corner. This notification disappears when i read the mail elsewhere (online/Mailclient) and the title of the mail changes to non-bold in the messages app, too.

This is the perfect behaviour and i want the Blackberry Bold to act in the same way :smileyhappy:

I use both a PB and a BB as well (and more!!), so I am familiar with this. So, on the BB, the new message notification remains AND the email item remains bold in the Messages list. OK...

I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will resolve things for you! If not, then you may want to try deleting and re-adding your BIS configuration for the affected email accounts. If, on the BB, you have more than one email account integrated, you may want to remove them all -- if your carrier has upgraded BIS since you've been using it, it is necessary to remove all email configurations in order to receive their new BIS...it's probably a good idea to wait some time (perhaps an hour) between removing them all and reintegrating them all.

Also, contrary to what you were told above, I have experienced issues from ALL Email providers regarding reconciliation. It is important to understand that the PB is actually using an on-device email client (similar to ActiveSync) while the BB is using the BIS service...they are very different. On the BB (via BIS), new email delivery and sending new emails receive the highest priority both on the BB, inside of BIS, and at the email service. But, all other reconciliation activities receive a lower priority. Depending on circumstances, I've seen read/unread take up to 24 hours to reconcile, and even longer, and even fail altogether (I think that actually happened with Yahoo to me...it was a while ago, so I can't recall perfectly). Further, Google has in recent days experienced some email issues related to BBs (there are plenty of posts here about that)...recent reports indicate that the problem is resolved, but I'd expect even longer delays clearing out their backlog...I'm sure that all sorts of queues are terribly backed up right now.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
schojo

i deleted the email account and added it again. i also told my blackberry to not include the email account in the overall messages app. so there's only the googlemail app...but it still does the said behaviour :/

it would be interesting to know if this is just normal or an error on my side? maybe rim wants it to act like this?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

No, it's not normal...the KB I first linked for you is the authority, and full reconciliation of all items is listed there, in both directions.

Given what you've said here, that's not quite everything I recommended you try...that's just one of several things I recommended that you attempt (including being perhaps patient for a while to allow the queues to flush out given the recent GMail issues reported here). So, I guess I need to leave you with what I've already recommended...but you, of course, can choose to attempt or ignore what I've said.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.