Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
gkainth
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

HELP! Blackberry 9900 stuck on backup during update

Tried running the new software update and all seemed to go fine at first, but now the 'overall backup progress' bar has been dead at 9% for a while and the 'social feeds' above has been stuck on 0% for the same amount of time. Ive tried rebooting but whenever i do this, the update starts up again and gets to the same point before stopping again. What do I do??? Is there anyway to force the software to stop?
Please help,
Thanks

New Contributor
cynthiayoung
My Device: 9900

Re: HELP! Blackberry 9900 stuck on backup during update

I have the exact same issue - I accepted the update on my device using the wireless. It downloaded the software without issue but when it got to "backing up your data" it's been stuck on social feeds at 0% and overall backup at 6%.

I cannot get it to connect to the desktop manager nor can I pull up any menus to clear and restore.

What do I do?

New Contributor
gkainth

The good news is that I managed to get my phone working again, the bad news is that everything (besides my bbm contacts) was deleted :/
Managed to get outta the update software by doing a soft reset (alt+right shift+delete). Took a few battery pulls to get it to boot up properly. Hope this helps but sorry that you'll probably lose most of the data on your device, trust me I know exactly how annoying it is!!
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

It's unfortunate that this has happened to both of you, however there are things we can do to get around it.  If this situation keeps popping up and you can't get past it, reloading your OS might be the only alternative.  I'm assuming you both have done data backups with BlackBerry Desktop Software.  If so, plug your phone into your PC via USB cord and open BlackBerry Desktop Software.  Once your phone has been recognized, click Device at the top of the software then Restore from the drop-down menu.  Choose the most recent restore point and proceed.

If you plug your phone into your PC and it won't connect to BlackBerry Desktop Software, read this article for what to do to proceed:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10144

I hope I've been helpful to both of you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
cynthiayoung
My Device: 9900

Yes this did help - but I do believe there is an issue with social feeds and back up because I have never been able to do a full back up since August update and it always hung on social feeds.

I did however get this to run again but looks like I now have to get BIS redone as well.

This is too bad as no one is in the office until January.

Thank you for the help to get the phone back up.

C

ricky95
My Device: bold 9900

i was able to get it to update but now i cant send or revieve anythig on my phone :/ since i updated. This happened to me once on my old bold (9000) after updating it and i dont remembe what i did to get sending/revivng functions back andy help?

New Contributor
thegadgetman

I have excatly the same issue on my 9900, it's utterly **bleep** to be honest, I had an iPhone before and never had any problems with this, no wonder RIM is losing so many loyal customers if this is the stuff we have to deal with.

New Contributor
gutiman
My Device: Bold 9930

Hi. I'm experiencing the same problem. I started last night the upgrade from OS 7 to OS 7.1, when it was doing the Backing Up data it got STUCK during the Social Feeds in about 3% Overall Progress Backup. I tried with the Desktop Software but is the same story. I tried rebooting the cellphone without battery, SIM card, Memory cards, etc and nothing works. At this moment my cellphone isn't working for anything, so I'm stuck too, my job depends of this freaking cellphone.

Does somebody have found a solution for this issue? I don't want to lose the data, specially the Phone Numbers Directory and the BBM contacts, I don't care about the Apps. Please, any help is really appreciated.

New Contributor
si1k_sing3r
My Device: Not Specified

I have the same problem on my torch 9860. frozen on the backup with social feeds at 0%, overall on about 5. desktop manager cant recognise the device as it is all messed up, if i reboot or pull battery, it just starts again straight away before i can do anything else. someone please help!!!

New Contributor
brwneyedgrl

I'm going through the exact same issue right now. What did you end up doing?