Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000 AT&T v4.6.0.167
Accepted Solution

HELP: Fox News Alert App Issues

Hi Everyone, and thank you in advance for your help and ideas.

So here's what's going on:  I downloaded the "Fox News Alert" Application a few weeks ago and shortly after, I downloaded the "Fox News Bookmark" App.  After a while I decided to uninstall both apps and download the Associated Press App instead.  The "Fox News Bookmark" App uninstalled with no trouble whatsoever.  However, after completely uninstalling the "Fox News Alerts" App from my BB, I am still receiving the Fox News Alerts on my phone.  When I open up my AppWorld or sync to my desktop, my BB doesn't show the program as being installed.  Even more interesting is that my AppWorld doesnt even show any record of the program ever being installed or uninstalled. 

So, if anyone has any ideas on how to get this fox news alert app to stop sending me news alerts to my phone I would appreciate it.  Btw, I've tried opening up the alert and scrolling to the bottom of the page to look for an unsubscribe option, but there isn't one.

Thanks Again,

Jeremy

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: HELP: Fox News Alert App Issues

How do the alerts show up? As SMS (text) messages? As e-mails? I am thinking once you initiated the notifications, they are now being sent to you rather than you (your device) retrieving them.
Contributor

The alerts show up on my menu page as the Fox News Allert App Icon.  Then, when I click on the App Icon it brings up the fox news alert, just like it would do if the application was still installed.  But the application obviously isn't installed anymore so I can't understand why these alerts are showing up directly on my menu page like my other apps.

Any / All help is appreciated

Forums Advisor III

Have you tried the "battery pull reboot"? With the device on, remove the battery. After about 1 minute, replace the battery. The device will then restart (takes 3-5 minutes).

Hopefully, you will no longer see those alerts.

Contributor

Yes, I have tried that already.  The alerts still show up afterwards.
Forums Advisor III

You said it was completely uninstalled, but then you say something about the icon. I am wondering if the application didn't actually uninstall. Go to Options, Advanced Options, Applications, and see if you can see anything there that could be it.
Contributor

I have checked there and there is no trace of the application still being installed.  As far as i can tell, there is no record of the application ever having been installed on my phone. Which is especially strange because like I said these alerts show up on my home page as a fox news alert icon
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums!

You removed the applications as er2joe suggested and are still getting the alerts.

Both apps are bookmark apps. Both use the browser and build histories.

Open the browser, menu key, options, cache operations, clear all categories.

This erases cookies, history etc. See if the alerts still show up.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion Bifocals.  I just cleared all of the browser history like you said.  I will see if that stops the alerts or not and report back.
Contributor

Unfortunatly, clearing the browser history did not work.  As of early this morning I have yet another new alert.