Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
mmills2
My Device: Bold 9700

HELP! Glitched white screen.

[ Edited ]

Hello,

My Bold 9700 screen has turned white, it's sort of striped vertically too. This has been an issue for a number of days, to begin with I did a few battery pulls and it worked again but only for a couple of minutes before reverting back to the white screen. The phone still works and I can recieve calls but cannot see anything on the screen.

(Edit: I am on O2 UK and believe the software is 5.0.0.593)

I've been searching around for information on this WSOD and I have followed a number of suggestions such as reinstalling the os, all to no avail. 

Alas my poor Blackberry is still with a white screen.

Any suggestions would be very much apprieciated.

Thank you

Also I apologise if this is in the wrong forum etc...

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,950
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: HELP! Glitched white screen.

Is the device still under warranty from your seller?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mmills2

Yes I believe so, though if there is a method of fixing it with out sending it back to O2 it better for me.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Try this, first:

1) Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/
2) On your PC, go to Start > Run and copy and paste the following line exactly (meaning with the quotation marks):

"c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe" /nojvm

3) The Application Loader Wizard will appear -- click "Next."
4) In the "Connection:" drop-down menu, you should see "USB-PIN: UNKNOWN". Click the "Next" button.
5) You should then see a list of applications ready to be installed for your Blackberry. Hit Next and Finish and you may be well on your way to getting your Blackberry back to life. 

Just don't disconnect anything and let the lengthy process finish completely.

NOTE: If you do not see a list of applications mentioned in step 5 and instead see the message "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator," then you must download Blackberry's Operating System for your carrier and device.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Operating_System_Downloads
Just select the appropriate carrier and network type, select your Blackberry model from the list and download the latest version. Install this download and follow the above steps again and you should be on the right path.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mmills2

Thanks, I followed your guide though still no change.

The pc recognised the PIN and said there is nothing to install.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

OK, I think you have some damage to the LCD screen.

I'd call for warranty exchange.

Do a backup of your device before you send it off.. Desktop Manager > Backup.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
apearl2716

I have the same issue. TMobile told me it was my software, but thats not the case. I have now removed all the apps on my phone and the screen is still white/colored lines. My phone is still under warrenty but they said if the damage is my fault they will charge me $200 for the new phone. To my knowledge I didn't do anything to make the screen do this. It was working fine and out of nowhere the screen turned white/colored lines. Do you know what could possibly be wrong with it?

Please use plain text.
Visitor
whyte_rabbit1987

In the interest of being a good person I want to tell the story of my BB bold 9700 white screen vertical line problems. I’ll go into some details on the **bleep** my service provider tried to sell me. The research into why this is occurring and finally how to fix it. I do want to point out fixing this (WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!!!)

Three days ago I reached into my pocket grabbed my phone to check the time hit the lock button and was annoyed to see a white screen with vertical lines. Hmmm... I put the phone back in my pocket and hoped I was having an Alice in Wonderland moment. My phone buzzed and my text alert audible alarm went off. The red LED flashed and everything seemed right in the world except my telepathic relationship with my phone isn’t on the best footing and I couldn’t fall back on reading the screen because it was still white. Frustrated I put the phone in my bag and tried to forget about it. All while being teased on occasion by the sounds of texts, emails and my calendar cycling through my appointments.

The next day I go to my service providers shop in the interest of getting a swap of some kind. Well let’s just say that was frustrating. I would like to assert that I know the difference between a service provider and a phone maker. What happened with my phone provider was not at all BB's fault. But it was funny. The other thing I want to point out is that I have a Bachelors in Computer Science and have spent my share of time Frankensteining things together for my amusement. I am pretty familiar with troubleshooting and repair. The first location I went to I was told that my phone had received some sort of computer virus. Hmm that’s bull**bleep**... I have a certain amount of confidence in BB's security. I go to another shop I’m told that its water damage.... Hmmm weird I don’t remember **bleep** on my phone... The third place I go I’m told that I have put a hairline fracture in my LCD screen. The kid seems a bit smarter than the other two but I can’t help but starting a 20 minute discussion with the kid about my experience and how a LCD leak does not look like this. So I left frustrated my options were accept that I had managed to break my phone and as I broke it I must pay to fix it.

So general rule of thumb when it comes to fixing anything electronic.

1) Research - Google is your friend troll forums look for anything similar and cross check with other places to find out if the poster is full of **bleep**.

2) If you decide it’s financially more suitable to repair something yourself. Be slow, be methodical and RESEARCH how to take it apart so you don’t wreck or lose anything.

3) Narrow your list of suspect problems. Decide if it’s something that’s worth the money or time required to fix it. If not fall back on your provider.

The Solution.

So after I did my due diligence and researched into the problem I discovered a simple solution Keep in mind this is for the BlackBerry Bold 9700 WSOD (White Screen of Death) with or with occasional vertical lines.

What you need:

---- Time: About 20 minutes

---- Tools: One Torx 5 screwdriver

Scissors

--- Materials: 2 cents worth of electric tape.

So what fixed my phone was placing a thin strip of electric tape on the data cable connecting my LCD screen to the main board on my phone. After allot of searching around and pawing through the bull about this being a software problem I found a few good posts about this and there fix. Basically what this problem boils down to is cheap parts and poor design. I’ve seen something similar to this using larger parts but effectively what is happening is the data cable rubs between the mainboard and the holding clips for the bezel on the outside of the phone. After awhile it seems about a year by the posts I’ve seen the insulation on the inside of the cable no longer functions. The cable grounds and the result is that the screen goes white. If you have a partly functioning LCD screen (more lines than white) you can test to see if it’s a grounding or connection problem by pressing down on the end call / p button a little harder than you normally would. This is directly above the cable / cable connector on the mainboard. If you press here and the screen gets worse you probably have a short of some sort.

To fix it refer to YouTube on how to disassemble your phone.

Be Careful don’t loose anything and take your time for god sakes your trying to save money.

You want to disassemble to the point where you can separate the LCD from the mainboard. Again refer to YouTube Google or whatever works for you. Word of warning they use adhesive and metal tabs to hold the thing in place. It will take a bit of effort to get them apart. Don’t use a hammer, take your time...

So if you were watching one of the take your phone apart videos you would have noticed that you need to detach several connectors to get this far. For example your SD card reader your track pad and now the culprit your LCD data cable. If you watched the movie you know where it is. Ill post a link to some pictures on someone’s forums they illustrate the fix pretty well. Effectively you put your two cents worth of tape over both sides of the cable excluding the connector and put everything back together. Start err up and bam! You got a phone again!

Heres a good link to illustrate the fix.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-help/255530-white-screen-death-fixed-electrical-tape.html

Heres a link for taking it apart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do9s7kOfPjg

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Elianabb
My Device: Bold 9700 Playbook

I did all the "Official" stuff to solve "software" problems on my Bold 9700 -- still white screen, but often w some lines, faint colors, modest changes when I pushed the track pad device.  

The key here is that I could communicate via USB with the device and was even able to update the software to v6, but screen was lines to all white and unresponsive.  I had poped it apart to read the screen part number (....4/11 version for me) and got a display back for a bit after re-assembly.  Then dead again.  So -- if you can get calls, and/or talk to it via USB, you have little to loose to try the tape on the ribbon conector to the LCD screen.

Do the less invasive stuff first, but when they want $100 to $200 to replace your $35 screen (ebay price) and assuming you are off warranty, why not pop it open and tape up the flimsey ribbon cable carefully.  It is bent and stretched over the metal locating hardware and can become worn and short out enough to give the white screen of death or its grainy multilined (vertical) cohort.  I even managed to log in with my password blind and that helped convince me that it was a bad screeen.  You can buy a cheap cheap sim phone for a week or two and an ebay LCD cheaper than you can get the repairs done in most carrier shops... UTUBE has teardown videos galore Can't comment on other models, but suspect a similar ribbon cable is in many devices -- again preview on UTUBE.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren
My Device: Pearl 8100 -> Bold 9000 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9930 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9900

[ Edited ]

As someone who has repaired many Blackberries with this problem I can say that I have never run across a white screened BB that was anything but a bad screen. The replacement of the screen is not hard but requires a bit of patience and the correct tools. (T5 Torx driver and a plastic pry tool) These tools are needed right from the get go, as the phone has to be taken apart and the screen has to be removed before you order a screen taking a guess at which of the 4 series variations of screen your phone uses. This is very important as your phone will not work with a variation that is not exactly the same as the series your phone has now.

The various series can be identified as a six digit number on the back of the screen, either a 001/111, 002/111, 002/444, 004/111, 402/444.  The 402/444 series is also interchangeable with the 002/111. I have fully tested this out and am 100% that they are interchangeable. I believe they are the same screens with just an updated series # or new licensed manufacturer.

(edit) The phone screens also interchangable between the 9780 and 9700 bolds.. so if you see an ad for a 001/111 for the 9700 it will also replace the 001/111 on the 9780.

So, after you have the correct series # and the colour of the screen (Black or White) you can indeed go onto e-bay and order your new screen for around $28 - $34 dollars and that usually includes free shipping.

If you need any more help with this, please feel free to message me..

P.S.  This should only be done if your phone is out of warranty or if you do not mind losing whatever warranty your phone still has..

Remember, There is never a stupid question, just stupid answers.

("If any advice that was offered by me helped, Please click on the Thumbs up on the post or click Accept as Solution. Thanks and it was nice to help you out ")

Please use plain text.