Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
f41z4n
My Device: BB 9900
Accepted Solution

HELP: I have BIS, but BBM and Gmail only working on network and NOT on wifi

[ Edited ]

Hi all, sorry in advance if this problem has already been posted.

I've recently got myself a bold 9900. Everything was working fine, but I have now come across a pretty major issue which I've spent hours looking to fix on the internet but to no avail. So I decided to make an account on here to see if anyone can personally inform me with a solution. My carrier is O2 (UK) but I use the sim whilst living abroad in Czech Republic. I didn't experience this problem on my previous BB (torch).

I buy a monthly BIS data plan, and it is still active at this moment in time - This is evident from the '3G' (with the blackberry icon) or 'EDGE' that appears in the top right of my screen when the network is on.
When the network is ON - my BBM, Gmail, Fb/Twitter apps, Browser all work fine (as they should) due to my BIS. 

The problem:

Once I turn the network OFF, and turn the wifi ON, my BBM and Gmail stop functioning & the BB icon vanishes from the top right corner, instead of moving slightly down to accompany the wifi strength icon (which would always be the case on my previous BB).

What's even stranger, 
bearing in mind that the BB icon is still missing, is that my BB Facebook and Twitter apps still work fine with just the wifi ON, as does the browser... So why not BBM and Gmail? 

(That prompts me to ask: I thought the BB Facebook and Twitter apps needed BIS to work?)

Anyway, once I enter the 'Wifi Network' > menu > 'Troubleshoot' > 'Wifi diagnostics', the following errors are shown:

1) UMA connection error. Status: Wireless network error

2)  Blackberry infrastructure connecting error.

I have tried resending service books, that didn't make any difference.

Please help! :smileysad:

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: HELP: I have BIS, but BBM and Gmail only working on network and NOT on wifi

This sounds like a provisioning problem that you will need to get straightened out with your carrier, O2. If they can't straighten it out then then will need to escalate your case to BlackBerry.

Facebook and Twitter no longer require a BIS plan to work so that is why they work when BBM and email do not.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
f41z4n

I was dreading someone will tell me to ring my carrier. O2 have a knack of giving awful customer service and have wasted my time on numerous occasions.

Has nobody got a genuine solution for this problem?

I'm considering restoring to factory settings to see if that fixes it.
Super Contributor
kosten4
My Device: BB Bold 9900
My Carrier: vodafone UK

Hello,
Have you tried to delete the wifi network and save it again? Was the phone working on wifi before?

Regards.
Blackberry! Here, now, forever!
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Does it happen on all wifi networks?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
f41z4n

Yup, I tried that yesterday (restoring wifi factory settings) to no avail. I have now restored the mobile to factory settings and I'm relieved to say that the BIS is now working on just the Wifi. 

Thanks for your advice anyway.