Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9900
My Carrier: digicel

HELP Screen Goes black but lights on the keypad!! HELP

I do not if there was a previous post about this but anyway..I SERIOUSLY NEED SOME HELP!!:smileysad:

My blackberry bold 9900 is literally 3 MNTHS AND A DAY old and I have a serious issue. Can someone please help me. 

The screen goes black after the backlight comes on but the light does not return. Everything is functioning like I get notifications, I receive calls and bbm's but the thing is I can't check them because the screen is black. There is static as well at the top but it it is black and blurry, sometimes I could see the name of the service provider as well as the battery icon.

What would work sometimes is if I do a battery pull but that is rare. Also if I lock the screen then wait a while and then press any button between the end call and receive it would come back on. But that is becoming rare as well. The system on the phone is full functional but its the screen that stays black. What do you think is the problem? Can you please help me out.

Sometimes if I'm lucky it would go away and I would be able to use the screen. But when that happens I would have to constantly be pressing a button to keep the phone active so it does not go on backlight setting from inactivity. U can imagine how annoying that is huh?

What is the problem can someone please help me

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: HELP Screen Goes black but lights on the keypad!! HELP

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

chloe82 wrote:

I do not if there was a previous post about this but anyway..I SERIOUSLY NEED SOME HELP!!:smileysad:

Now now...there is no need to yell at anyone, is there?

Just asking, in your post, something like 10 times that you need help should be sufficient. I understand your frustration, but please understand that everyone here are volunteers...

Given all you describe, I recommend you attempt Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

You may have to experiment with the ESC key press/hold sequences to find the right sequence for your BB, rebooting multiple times until you figure how to do it. When successful, think carefully about what happened just before this started...a new app? An update? Something else? The smallest thing can be causal, so think carefully...and undo it when you get into Safe Mode.

Failing that, you may want to reload your OS clean from scratch...it may have been corrupted. Here are some methods to do that:

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for each model. Please use those as reference as you proceed.

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

You also can, onto your PC, download and instal the BBSAK utility (bbsak.org) and see if it can help you wipe and reload your OS.

Failing all of that, of course you can seek formal support, available from your mobile service provider. They can escalate cases into RIM if they cannot resolve them...end users have no other free path for any formal support from RIM, only via escalation.

Good luck and let us know!

You may have to exper

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks. I didnt know writing in caps meant that i was yelling:smileyfrustrated: ...my bad

But all those options you suggested i have tried every single one of them. The problem still persists. I completely wiped the system and the problem is still there. My phone is sitting right next to me at this moment and the screen is black but the keypad is lighted up.

Hall of Famer II

Sorry, but it's just not possible that you tried all of that in just 9 minutes. Not possible. Please re-read them and do them more diligently this time.

Unless you did them before! In which case, it would have been nice of you to say that up front...would have saved my fingers so much typing time in providing redundant recommendations. If this is the case, then please do tell us all that you have done...be complete and detailed...we need to understand exactly what you did and exactly what each result was (each step result, btw...not just end results).

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

no i dont mean now....I've had this problem for about a week and all those thng i have tried already. Sorry, I'm new to this site. I have done systems wipe.. Os updates, several batery pulls and everything you just recommended.

Hall of Famer II

Well, then if I take your words at face value, you did not diligently read my earlier post. You talk now about OS updates, batt pulls, and "everything else". But, since I can't read your mind, I can't know what "everything else" is. Did you try Safe Mode? Did you do a clean wipe and reload with BBSAK? Have you loaded an OS totally clean, with no add-ons?

But, no matter...if you truly have, as you say, done all that I've recommended, then I can only deduce a hardware-level problem, for which internet-distance diagnostics are rather useless. You should therefore go see your mobile service provider concerning warranty support.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

ok. thanks. but bare in mind i said "everything u recommended" not "everything else" so therefore, what u meant as everything else..is everything u had recommended in ur prevous post And i did try safe mode. But reallly how much help you think safe mode would be when there is an option to select "ok"  to continue in safe mode when i said the screen is black. Meaning nothign comes up on the screen. Not even the word "blackberry" and the loading icon as the phone reboots

And i did talk about os updates and battery pulls because u asked me to list everything i had tried...

Hall of Famer II

chloe82 wrote:

And i did try safe mode. But reallly how much help you think safe mode would be when there is an option to select "ok"  to continue in safe mode when i said the screen is black. Meaning nothign comes up on the screen. Not even the word "blackberry" and the loading icon as the phone reboots

Ahhh...that indeed is now news! The result of Safe Mode (as well as other attempts)was not useful, so now I have an additional symptom to add to the little that I really know about your situation. Excellent! Thank you!

chloe82 wrote:

And i did talk about os updates and battery pulls because u asked me to list everything i had tried...

Ahhh...but you see, knowing what was attempted is only one part of the information needed. Knowing the details of how each step of each attempt resulted is equally important, for the results of the steps (not the end result, but the results of, for instance, each step in a multi-step process) could indicate other things...as they do now that I understand your true plight.

Given that and all else, I remain with my recommendation that you seek formal support from your carrier, authorized reseller, or whoever else it may be that provides you with formal warranty support and assistance.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

ok. Well thank you

My Device: Torch 9900 (I think....)
My Carrier: O2

[ Edited ]

Ok. I am experiencing the same problem - the touch screen doesn't work, and when I slide the 'phone open to access the manual keypad, the screen cuts out. I can still receive calls and messages, but can't use the keypads. I can use the scroll button to navigate around the functions. To get the screen to light up, I can press the "lock" button (top left) twice - on the second ("unlock") action, the screen lights up again. It remains unresponsive, as a touch-screen though. Anyway, reading the thread, and having only removed the battery (previously) for a short time, I took it out for about 5 minutes. When I reinserted it, the touch-screen now reacts to the touch (fab!) but it still goes dead if I slide the 'phone open. So, a partial result, perhaps suggestive that this was not a hardware issue? Any help that doesn't employ an addmittedly subjective "difficult" technical solution would be gratefully received. As an aside, I felt the person offering help in this thread (sgarde), although an unpaid volunteer, was perhaps the single rudest and condescending person I have ever seen post in a help forum. I actually felt for the person requesting aid (Chloe82), who remained civil throughout - not sure I'd have had that kind of restraint. Genuine help from a person who may assume me to be a Luddite of the lowest order but who treats me with respect would be the ideal here.