Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
mjkb
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Hi

Help! My Blackberry doesn't start up anymore!

I recently fully charged my Blackberry Bold 9700 and nothing appeared to be wrong. At one point my BB was lying next to me and the screen was black. I've resetted my bb by taking out the battery as well as performing a soft reset, and after doing so the red light turns on, then the bb starts loading - without the red light on - but stops about half way and won't load any further!

I have installed the bb software for my computer but it says my blackberry is disconnected, but my computer does recognize my blackberry when I attach it.

What should I do?!?!?!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sreardon
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Help! My Blackberry doesn't start up anymore!

I've got the same problem with my Bold 9000. 

I put it on the charger, bed-side kicked in, woke up in the morning and the phone was off.

I tried turning it on, I brief message about the battery being dead and it turned off.

I've check the battery and at 3.63 V, I don't think it is the battery.

Now, the phone does the same as you.  It won't power on.

Sometimes, when I put the battery back in, it will cycle the red LED and start to boot, but then gores to a white screen.

Final insult is that It won't connect via USB, so  a reload is not possible.

Steve

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBaddict2290
My Device: Curve 9300 6.0 v6.0.0.526, platform 6.6.0.526
My Carrier: Att--Battery Pulling is a Temporary Fix; CURRENT APPS: Blackberry Protect, Dropbox, Memory Up Pro, Poynt, Google Maps,BBmessenger, Memory Booster, Bebuzz, BB App World, Facebook, Screen Capture

[ Edited ]

Hello!

Yes, i was there too with my Bold 9000.  What i did was connect my device via computer and i reinstalled my o.s. and it worked fine.  You can try the same by following the directions below:  >>> CONNECT YOUR DEVICE VIA COMPUTER AND GET BLACKBERRY DESKTOP MANAGER UP AND RUNNING...

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FULL CHARGE!  THE INSTALL WILL TAKE ABOUT 20-30 MINUTES

BACK UP YOUR DEVICE BEFORE THE INSTALL!!!  IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BACK UP YOUR DEVICE AND DO A CLEAN INSTALL AND HAVE EVERYTHING SET AT IT'S DEFAULT SETTING, SCROLL DOWN TO "UPDATE DEVICE" ON THIS POST AND LOOK AT MY PICTURE, WHERE IT SAYS "BACK UP DEVICE DATA" REMOVE THE CHECK MARK.

First, try backing up your device so you will have all your setting and data the way it was.

Click "Back up now"

cap1.PNG

Then at the top left click DEVICE then scroll down and click UPDATE DEVICE as show below:

cap2.PNG

Then, it will probably tell you that there are no updates for your device.  If it tells you that there is an update, great, click UPDATE.  If it doesn't then at the bottom left click VIEW OTHER VERSIONS as shown below:

cap3.PNG

Then, it will bring up the list of your current o.s. with the check mark as well as previous versions.  Keep the check mark where it is

cap4.PNG

Then, make sure you have the check mark for BACK UP DEVICE DATA so it will restore all your data and settings the way you had it.   Then click INSTALL UPDATE as shown below:

cap5.PNG

And there you go.  Hope that helps!  Let me know if there's anything else you need help with.  Thanks!

-Brian

1. Please give Kudos by clicking the Kudos star Kudos Button below the post which helped you..

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sreardon

Well, in my case, it was in fact the battery.

I went into the Rogers store.  They were no help at all.  More interested in getting me to upgrade.

I want to, but I don't want to be locked into Rogers anymore.  Service is too bad.

I wanted them just to try a battery.  They said they had none to try.

So, I went to another store (The booth store, where I originally purchased all my phones).

They had a battery and tried it and it worked.

Basically, with the old phone, it would not power up on its own.

When I did plug it in to a USB or AC adapter, it would also try to boot.  I would see the progress bar, but once it got to 1/3 of the way across, it would go white screen on me.

Now, the $$$ part.  As much as it was the battery causing the white screen, it turns out my old battery was dried up.  But, it was dried up and the phone did not work on USB nor AC adaptor because the phone did not want to charge.  So, the new battery only lasted a day because it only had a 1/2 charge.  This battery was half price what Rogers was selling replacement batteries for.

I brought it in to yet another cellular service depot (out of warranty repair).  The replaced the USB/charging port on the phone.  But, it is charging now and the phone seems to work as it did before.

I am not sure what happened but the only thing different is that I bought a 100W inverter from Canadian Tire.  It has a USB port on it too.  But, I had tried it a couple of times to charge up the phone with it before that and the phone did not complain.  Still, I suspect the inverter.

Unless I am told that this USB/Charger port problem is a common problem, I am going to stop using that inverter and stick with a car adaptor or the AC adaptor with the inverter.

Steve

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mjkb
My Carrier: Hi

Thank you so much for you help! The only problem I have at the moment is that my Blackberry Desktop Manager is installed and when I connect my Blackberry to my laptop it recognizes is and says it's connected, but the Blackberry Desktop Manager says I have to verify that my device is connected and I have no idea how to. Until I verify it, it won't allow me to do anything in the Blackberry desktop manager program.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sreardon

I wonder if it is a rights thing.  Now that my phone is working again (with the replacement USB port), I'll check tonight to see if I can reproduce your issue.

Please use plain text.
bmartin
My Carrier: AT&T

I saw your reply below and thought you might help me.  I recently updated my 9700 from OS 5 something to OS 6 Bundle 2342 and am having lots of problems.Something just isn't right.

First, the battery wears down in as little as 4 hours with minimal use.

Second, my device frequently "locks up" and I can't do anything until I reboot (remove/replace battery).

Very frustrating since the device was working fine before.  Can I go back to OS5 somehow?  Do I need to "re-install OS6? 

Please use plain text.
s10006943
My Carrier: Starhub

Actually my Blackberry Bold 9700 is ok, but i just upgrade OS to 6.0, then find battery life is less half and less memory, so I want to downgrade to OS 5.0, I follow step by step which post by BBaddict2290, but dont know why I can not  see any other OS version for me to choose, only list the OS version what I currenly installed, does anyone can tell me how to do next? how see my previous OS version???

Please use plain text.
Msfarababe
My Device: curve 9360
My Carrier: mtn

I have a curve9360 I was updating my software and my phone just froze.It was backing up and stop at 14% and does not want to move and now I can't even get my phone to work or even go on...Please help me

Please use plain text.
djbelon
My Device: backberry bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

I hope you resolved your problem. My sister and I have fairly new Blackberry Bolds and we each let our batteries drain. We each have tried to re-charge the phones to no avail; the screens are still black. I tried to remove battery (on mine) with the charger on, wait a minute, and re-install as other have suggested on this site, but the phone will not turn on.   We are veyr frustrated!

Please use plain text.