Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
Juergenhl
My Carrier: ATT
Accepted Solution

Help for email setup for BlackBerry Bold 9700

I have a BB Bold 9700. The phone is wiped and I unlocked it. I want to use it in Europe with a prepaid sim card including internet and email. When trying to set up email the phone will not allow me to unclick a work email account with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. This is the only option given, thus I cannot proceed. What to do? Any help is very much appreciated

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Help for email setup for BlackBerry Bold 9700

Hello!

To use the proprietary BB services (including Push email capability, BBM, etc.), you must have an adequate data plan from your carrier. The carriers host BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) for their BB users, and it is required for all proprietary services (including email via the native Messages app). Typically, BIS is not available via generic data plans. Many carriers call what is necessary The Blackberry Data Plan. Whatever they call it, it is the carrier who delivers BIS to their BB users -- contact them for assistance. Once you have a Push-email enabled BIS-capable data plan on your BB (at whatever fees your carrier will charge, btw), your BB-proprietary services will function (e.g., you will have Personal/Internet Email added to the email setup wizard, your BBM will function, etc).

With hundreds of carriers in the world, each with dozens of different data plans, it's impossible to tell you specifically what any service plan might actually provide. Only the carriers can answer that question. The best thing to do is to decide what services you desire, and then talk to your carrier about obtaining (from them) a data plan that enables what you desire.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Juergenhl
My Carrier: ATT

Many thanks for your explanation. I am not sure I fully understand what I should do. I am not familiar with some of the features. What is a push email capability. I have been in touch with the marketeer of the prepaid sim card (from Medionmobile - eplus in Germany) and they are telling me that a separate BlackBerry service is required, which can only be

obtained in connection with a term contract. I suppose this tells me, that either they do not support BlackBerry or BB does not support them. The prepaid sim card does offer various data plans based on usage.

I guess my question is: How do I get a Push-email enabled BIS-capable data plan on my BB?

Thanks for listening to me

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

All services are controlled and delivered by the mobile service provider. If they are telling you that they do not support BBs via pre-paid SIM plans, then that is what it is.

Each carrier controls the services that they support with the various service plans that they offer. Some allow BBs on pre-paid plans, others do not. It is up to each carrier to choose what they will provide.

Email on a BB is not solely a function of any sort of on-device app. Rather, it is a service that requires use of servers and such, hosted at the carriers and BlackBerry, that enables email to work on the BB. These servers are for BB users only, and therefore require subscription to a data plan that enables access to those servers...at whatever cost factors an individual carrier decides (they each choose for themselves).

So, bottom line...if this carrier tells you that pre-paid plans do not allow for access to the BB-proprietary services and that you must have a contract plan from them to enable that access, then that is an authoritative answer, since it comes from the only source that can know that answer. You might get a different answer from a different carrier, since they each set their own plans/rates/services.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.