Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
shauntetley
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Help please

I am buying my daughter a blackberry bold 9900 on contract for Christmas and as it will come out of my direct debit bank account I am scared stiff she will run up a huge bill by exceeding the call minutes/internet access.

I have been told that you can download an app that monitors the monthly use.

Can someone please tell me the name of the app please. Presumably it is a free downlaod app and is user friendly?

This is a brilliant forum for a non techie like me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shaun

New Contributor
Mr_othman
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Re: Help please

I'm not sure if there is any application for 9900 or blackberry in general that normally checks for data usage, but based on my experience, you shouldn't be worried about her usage of the Internet. What I mean is the application we use that consumes data service is mostly twitter, Facebook, and few social network (Which I'm sure they don't consume much data service). So you shouldn't be worried about the bills.
Good Luck
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Help please

shauntetley wrote:

I am buying my daughter a blackberry bold 9900 on contract for Christmas and as it will come out of my direct debit bank account I am scared stiff she will run up a huge bill by exceeding the call minutes/internet access.

there are dozens of carrier contracts.

• some can be pre-paid (but they are in the end quite expensive).
  • Others are said "unlimited", with a limitation : when you have eaten up the data volume written in the contract (for example 250MB/month), you cannot download anything anymore
  • others are said "unlimited", with a speed limitation : when you have used the data volume written in the contract (for example 250MB/month), you continue to be able to download for free, but with a slower rate.

Unless if you are with an uncivilized carrier, you cannot be charged with an excessive bill with an unlimited data pack.

Everything is written in your contract, so you simply have to choose before signing.

That being said, the BlackBerry phones use much less data than Android and iPhones. So unless your daughter spends hours watching YouTube videos, it will not be a problem.

last point. the 9900 can do WiFi. So if you have WiFi at home  or at school, you can use that instead of the cellular network, and in that case the data is not accounted as  "eaten".

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: