01-09-2013 05:12 PM
I have a Blackberry Bold 9650 with OS 5.0 Bundle 1186, it is a unlocked phone(Verizon one). There is updated available for OS 6.0 Bundle 3084. Please can u advise whether I can do this update or not. I am confused as couple of my friends have told that by doing this update my phone will be locked again and I can't use it any more till it is unlocked again...........................Please help, as OS 6.0 would be better for me and I can use maps and more apps when compared to OS 5.0
01-09-2013 07:12 PM
I am confused as couple of my friends have told that by doing this update my phone will be locked again and I can't use it any more till it is unlocked again
Once a BB is unlocked from it's originally manufactured-for carrier, it is forever unlocked -- only the factory can re-lock it...nothing the end user can do can relock it in that manner. So tell your friends that they are flat wrong.
The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):
1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages
2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed
3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:
4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:
5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.
Don't forget to backup.
If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:
Good luck and let us know!