Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
willfox1983
My Device: Bold 9700

Home WiFi connection poor, wifi icon keeps going grey.

[ Edited ]

Hi, I've never had a problem with any other devices connecting to my home wifi, but my Blackberry 9700 keeps getting the grey wifi icon on the home screen, and when I'm trying to load a website, it keeps switching to Edge or 3G to complete the loading of a webpage.  In manage connections, I sometimes have a green tick next to my home broadband, but very often I have a (-). Is there anything I can do to make the connection better?

So far, I've tried:

Deleting the connection and setting up the wifi again;

Pulling the battery.

Neither has helped.  Could it possibly be a hardware fault?  I have the up to date OS etc....

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tschlaef
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Home WiFi connection poor, wifi icon keeps going grey.

I'm having the same issue.  I have no problem connecting and authenticating to the access point but connecting to BIS is problematic.  It usually takes 1 or 2 minutes to get the white WIFI icon but even then the browser can't load pages over WIFI, falling back to EDGE instead.  Often just trying to load a web page causes the WIFI icon to grey out.  Every once in a while it works, although, I've never been able to load more than a few web pages before trouble returns and I've never successfully downloaded an mp3 or video file over WIFI at home.  Further, I've had the phone use WIFI flawlessly at some other locations, including AT&T hotspots at Starbucks and some mom & pop coffee houses offering free WIFI, but there have been problems in some places as well.

I've spent hours troubleshooting this problem.  I've downgraded the device software and re-upgraded to the latest OS.  I've checked the WIFI settings on the phone and run WIFI diagnostics, nothing seems amiss.  I've changed WIFI settings including manually assigning an IP and DNS servers--all to no avail.  I've changed settings on my router including turning off encryption and statically assigning an IP to the BB.  I've rebooted the router and the BB more times than I can remember.  I've turned off the network radio (to force WIFI use) and used the hotspot browser.  This actually works, sometimes, but web pages take minutes, not seconds, to load.  Nothing I've done has made any detectable difference in my situation.

I'm going to call AT&T today and see if they can offer any insight.  The fact that WIFI works in some places suggests that it may be a configuration issue with my home system, although, like you I've never had problems with other devices at home.  The fact that every so often mine works suggests flaky hardware or maybe a bug in the OS.  The fact that you're having the same or similar problems makes me lean to the bug in OS theory.

The AT&T store where I got the phone has offered to replace it with a new one, which I may do, but I wanted to exhaust all other possibilities first.  I really hope to resolve this problem.  I love this phone, but no WIFI at home is a deal breaker for me.

-Tom

Bold 9700 on AT&T OS 5.0.0.405 (Platform 5.1.0.112)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
willfox1983

l would take my phone back to the store but we're stuck under a foot and a half of snow right now....I've only had the phone 2 days and I am enititled to a replacement within 28 days if it's not working properly - so they might replace my phone once I get down there, but no 100% certain.

TSCHLAEF: You may be right, it might be something within the home wifi configuration, but I'll be damned if I know what it is!! My iPhone works fine as does my Macbook, so I don't understand what the problem is.  I haven't had the chance to connect to another wifi service to try - I called the store and they said they can try connect to their wifi and see what happens.

Maybe it is an OS issue.

Does anyone else having similar problems or  have a solution?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
willfox1983

nobody can help then?!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tschlaef

UPDATE:  I talked to AT&T yesterday.  They don't show any issues of the type we're having with th 9700.  I've played around some more with my wireless router, including disabling the firewall and putting the BB into the DMZ--all to no avail. I've resent the service books to my phone; no change there either.

Today I'm going to return the phone for a new one.  I'm pretty much convinced that this is a hardware issue.  I've connected to my network and run WIFI diagnostics on the phone and it shows everything as being fine, but when I use the Ping Tool I get flaky results, i.e. sometimes I can ping myself or the gateway, sometimes not.  I've run six ping tests and had none get through, then on the seventh one or two packets will make it through.  Of the pings that do return some are very slow, 4595 milliseconds, some are fast, 28 milliseconds.  Anyway, I've concluded that the WIFI radio in this phone is weak.  Hopefully, later today that will be confirmed.

I'll keep you posted.

-Tom

Please use plain text.
Contributor
willfox1983

[ Edited ]

Tom, did a phone replacement help?

Please use plain text.
nocturnien
My Device: Curve 8300

Guys, I also have the same problem.  I got my Bold yesterday.  After it exhibited the same issues described regarding wifi, i took it ot starbucks to see if it the problem is with my wifi router or the device.  At starbucks, which has ATT Wifi, it behaved the exact same.  Not a surprise since my wife has an Apple Iphone 3GS and no problem surfing using our wifi router at home.  So I took it back to the store for an exchange.  Before turning it in, I tried to log in to the store's wifi router.  No problem making the connection but the wifi symbol was greyed out as before.  I was not able to surf the net with wifi.  So I got a new Bold and tried to connect it to the store's wifi.  Again the same problem.  My saleperson aslo has a Bold.  I asked him to connect to the wifi router and it did the same.  I dont think their wifi router has any issues since I was able to connect their demo unit of IPhone to wifi.  My thinking is that the Bold has issues with wifi.  So I returned it and now back to my old 8300 after wasting 4 hourson the phone with ATT tech support.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
willfox1983

Seems like this is an issue for quite a few people, and with different model Blackberries too.  I've read a lot of forums to find a solution to this problem, and I'm still no closer to fixing it.  Thanks for posting, nocturnien, as I think you've saved me a trip through the snow.  I'd planned on replacing my handset today, but that seems to not fix the issue.

I've read elsewhere that the wifi is dependent on BIS, because the wifi logo is grey if BIS is not working, and white if it is?  I can't see why BIS, which I guess is an over-the-air service, should have any involvement in wifi connectivity.  If that is true, it's an utterly ridiculous feature, and Blackberry have gone down in my estimation if that's the case. 

Despite this, I do have BIS within my provider's contract, and everytime I call them, they don't believe it's anything to do with their network - they say wifi is separate and BIS has no influence on it.

Confused, and getting increasingly frustrated.  Getting to the stage now that I want to ditch Blackberry altogether and go back to iPhone or something else.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tschlaef

I agree with everything you've said in your last post.  I replaced my handset Saturday, but still have the same problems.  I'm still evaluating, though, because it does seem marginally better, but still unacceptable.  I also completely replaced my home system with some old equipment I have laying around.  At first I thought this was much better, but the problems returned in short order.

While I'm no expert on BIS, here's my experience.  If I use the BB Browser it will only connect with EDGE if the WIFI icon is greyed.  If the WIFI icon is white it will try to connect over WIFI, but for me this often causes the BIS connection to drop, then the browser switches over to EDGE (I don't have 3G service here in Janesville, WI).  The Hotspot Browser will use WIFI even if the icon is greyed.  Last night I used the Hotspot Browser for about 4 hours over WIFI the whole time, which is great, but it was very slooowww, in fact no better than EDGE.

I, too, am very frustrated and discouraged.  I like this phone but am increasingly aware that it is not good at the things that are important to me.  I don't think these issues will be resolved by anything short of new firmware, but how long will that be in coming--if ever.  Anyway, thank you for posting your experience.  I will continue to do the same if anything new occurs.

-Tom

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tschlaef

Nocturien, thanks for your post.  It's nice to know that it's not just the two of us suffering these problems.  I'll probably give AT&T tech support one shot at rectifiying this issue before returning the phone.  Based on your experience I'll make sure I have plenty of time to kill when I call them.

-Tom

Please use plain text.